Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for Carlton isnt when TDK is on ground it is when he isnt on ground and opposition have a semi decent relief ruck option - putting Kennedy in against Wright didn't really work - and allowed them easy clearances and momentum.
We need to find a 2nd ruck to complement TDK that can provide ruck relief & play forward, going back to Pitto who can only play ruck, you would expect a significant reduction in TDK's effectiveness as he thrives on the number one role.

We need to find a 2nd ruck to complement TDK that can provide ruck relief & play forward, going back to Pitto who can only play ruck, you would expect a significant reduction in TDK's effectiveness as he thrives on the number one role.

TDK is progressing well but it is a tough gig being the only ruck week in week out. I think playing Kennedy or Cripps against a 2 meter ruckman is giving opposition sides too much for not much was obvious the cost in 3rd quarter against Essendon - a second viable relief ruck that doesn't include Harry doing CBB would be ideal. Ive got no axe to grind regarding Pittonet or anyone else in teh side - unfortunately, Pittonet lacks around the ground proficiency - Charlie not being able to take relief outlet marks in 3rd quarter on top of TDK off field as well as Harry - saw momentum swing big time back to Essendon...

I guess every opposiiton has different strengths and capacities though so hard to generalise on top of in game stuff that happens.

Pitto playing permanent ressies on a 4 year deal is not ideal. List depth is important but I sure hope we don’t have too much cash tied up in ressies players.

Pitto is good enough to be a #1 ruck in his own right. I doubt he will be thrilled. I expect other clubs will start making phone calls.

Works fine when Harry does it.

Cripps a solid 3rd option.

Kennedy needs to stay far, far away.

Pitto playing permanent ressies on a 4 year deal is not ideal. List depth is important but I sure hope we don’t have too much cash tied up in ressies players.

Pitto is good enough to be a #1 ruck in his own right. I doubt he will be thrilled. I expect other clubs will start making phone calls.
Assuming the money is average, it's not bad insurance for in case of injury or unlikely loss of TDK to free agency

I like to think we knew what we were doing when his deal was done. TDK is definitely the man now, but he’ll need a chop out regularly and Pitto is a perfect backup ready to go backup as needed.

I think Pitto maybe plays one in four games to share the load and obviously covers if TDK is hurt or needs a full rest.

Squad mentality stuff vs just best 22 in a given week, I reckon. We have to think like that now to get our best side ready for September.

Geelong really need a ruckman while Conway develops.
Unfortunately for any mature ruck that moves down there they will be usurped in 12 months’ time in a similar way TDK has taken on the number 1 role this year.
Still think we will play both Pitto and TDK in games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully AFL listen to feedback of the waste of sub and run a five man bench with same number rotations save them shortening quarters and give there new dream Tessie side a hand fielding young players -- we play pitto 10 minutes every quarter be perfect .. for rest of this year we go TDK

I’m a massive proponent of the 2 ruck setup but if TDK keeps playing like this I’ll start to change my mind.

We need to look after TDK though, need him as fresh as possible by the end of the year when the whips are cracking and I would love to see the 2 ruck setup with a quicker midfield in ie we play the 2 rucks and not play one of Kennedy/Hewett with TDK playing the forward/ruck role 70/30 and Pitto the Ruck/Bench position 70/30

We don’t have many quicker mids but Cerra/Elijah play both ways and there is Cuners if we can get a second half of the season miracle again.

Now Zilliams is getting some confidence we can start to put him through the middle for periods.

We can play both rucks if we do it smartly , but we can’t if we have the midfield of Hewett/Kennedy/Cripps is what I’m trying to say

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm still strongly in the corner of TDK and Mckay. Pitto means TDK forward and I've only liked TDK fwd in 1-2 games at best. I can only think of the oppositions plans to run off TDK in reverse transition. Pitto fwd isnt worth persisting with when TDK goes into the ruck.

Would rather TDK in current form play 3 in a row before having a rest and letting Pitto take a game.

In the moments in game where Cripps/Kennedy go into the ruck the team should be playing tempo/defensive footy. Recognise the risk at that point in time as its rare from a total game perspective.

I still accept that we might need Pitto/TDK for the Freo game. I also still accept TDK's form may drop meaning we want Pitto to play in his own right.

Just do what Geelong do with their rotating rucks so for games with easy ruck matchups play Pitto in the ruck and TDK forward/relief and TDK can main ruck for all the other games otherwise TDK will be burnt out come finals.
THIS THIS THIS

Pitto to play against Tigers, Norf, Eagles and Saints.

TDK is progressing well but it is a tough gig being the only ruck week in week out. I think playing Kennedy or Cripps against a 2 meter ruckman is giving opposition sides too much for not much was obvious the cost in 3rd quarter against Essendon - a second viable relief ruck that doesn't include Harry doing CBB would be ideal. Ive got no axe to grind regarding Pittonet or anyone else in teh side - unfortunately, Pittonet lacks around the ground proficiency - Charlie not being able to take relief outlet marks in 3rd quarter on top of TDK off field as well as Harry - saw momentum swing big time back to Essendon...

I guess every opposiiton has different strengths and capacities though so hard to generalise on top of in game stuff that happens.

Would we be better off just running TDK on his own but giving him a couple of weeks off against lower rated teams later in the season and letting Pitto play as sole ruck in those games? Against ruckmen like Nank Pitto might be a better fit those games anyway?

I disagree on the first part. He'd be on low $ and you can't just have 1 senior ruckman on your list.

Would we be better off just running TDK on his own but giving him a couple of weeks off against lower rated teams later in the season and letting Pitto play as sole ruck in those games? Against ruckmen like Nank Pitto might be a better fit those games anyway?

I think that the one V two ruck decision probably comes down to the opposition and /or the game style/plan the coaches want to run depending on the opposition. Resting sore players needs good coverage so Pittonet ticks a couple of boxes - although that said Pittonet has had LT PCL and hands issues keeping out of the game for extended periods over the lat 18 months or so.

I think that the one V two ruck decision probably comes down to the opposition and /or the game style/plan the coaches want to run depending on the opposition. Resting sore players needs good coverage so Pittonet ticks a couple of boxes - although that said Pittonet has had LT PCL and hands issues keeping out of the game for extended periods over the lat 18 months or so.

Yes Pitto has been very injury prone. Only managed more than 13 games in a season once (last year 18). May be smart to keep him out of the firing line a bit more also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back