Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we be better off just running TDK on his own but giving him a couple of weeks off against lower rated teams later in the season and letting Pitto play as sole ruck in those games? Against ruckmen like Nank Pitto might be a better fit those games anyway?
Our next 10 games includes 5 teams currently in the bottom 6 highlighted below.

Geelong, Richmond, GWS, WB, North, Port, Collingwood, Hawks, Eagles (WA), St Kilda.

I think we would play both ruckmen in these games to reduce the workload on TDK, rather than just play Pitto on his own.

Pitto wouldn't be on huge money, great for depth and can be a good use for TDK if he needs a rest/injury. It's a good problem to have really
It's not about money, Pitto is too good to be VFL depth ruckman(he and other clubs would be aware of this), but it's been proven that the team functions better with just TDK.

Like you say, it's a good problem for the club...not so much for Pitto.

I reckon you just tell Pitto - you'll be in often enough and get your chance to shine. And if he really shines bright he'll stay in. And if he shines bright but gets a golden opportunity elsewhere, we'll support the trade if it's fair.

Our next 10 games includes 5 teams currently in the bottom 6 highlighted below.

Geelong, Richmond, GWS, WB, North, Port, Collingwood, Hawks, Eagles (WA), St Kilda.

I think we would play both ruckmen in these games to reduce the workload on TDK, rather than just play Pitto on his own.

There is a lot to be said for this - I remember in 1999 when Matthew Allen had a breakout year for us and rucked tirelessly all year pretty much on his own as Mark Porter was injured - come Grand Final he’d pretty much ran out of petrol tickets.

Do we need 2 rucks to beat Brodie Grundy and Sydney? I think we do so we need to give it a go a few times this year.

oDo we need 2 rucks to beat Brodie Grundy and Sydney? I think we do so we need to give it a go a few times this year.
I think we'll see the two rucks more as we get closer to finals. I think they will both be played in finals.

Yeap, contested numbers increase in finals, which is largely around stoppages

I'd say Pitto is a strong chance to come back in next week
Based on TDK's current form it would be a brave decision to remove him from the number one role.
Pitto may play some games when Tom needs a spell, but he gives us much more mobility in this role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am embarrassed to admit that during the months of speculation about TDK’s contract situation last year, I often said that he was the one player I wouldn’t be upset if he left. And now I can’t picture a world where we don’t have him. He is one of the sides top few most important players. Absolute gun. So damn good.

I am embarrassed to admit that during the months of speculation about TDK’s contract situation last year, I often said that he was the one player I wouldn’t be upset if he left. And now I can’t picture a world where we don’t have him. He is one of the sides top few most important players. Absolute gun. So damn good.
I’m not religious but you need to repent your sin, 16 hale Mary’s and 16 Holy ghosts…
You are forgiven 👍

Last edited:
Don’t be harsh on yourself.

While I was always on the TDK bandwagon, I thought Elijah Hollands’ first few games for us were some of the most fumbly ordinary football I had seen. I also didn’t have much time for Cincotta. Wrong and wrong.

I was exactly the same. Didn't understand the media hype outside of a few flashy marks and occasional goal from the boundary.

He. Is. A. Freak.

TDK is transforming into a superstar before our very eyes.

I think TDK is fast so he offsets our weakness in the middle. Pitt compounds our slowness in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It also massively improves the balance of our forward line. Mckay, Curnow, and TdK forward is too big and slow. Together they can't apply the same forward pressure and become exhausted by the fourth quarter. Imo partly explains why we are so much better in the 4th quarter with one ruck

I think TDK is fast so he offsets our weakness in the middle. Pitt compounds our slowness in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TDK as a ruck/mid allows us to play all of Cripps, George and Kennedy through the middle without slowing down ball movement, some of the handball chains last night were very impressive.

1 ruck, unless TDK needs a rest... CONTINUITY.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back