Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

WTF? So you didn’t rate his game last week?
Way to back-hand a compliment.
Did I say that? No.
He's done very well the past two games, was he dominant? Not really as I believe Witts & Soldo were also solid for the opposition.
I want him reaching his potential & at present, he's not there.
If that's back handed to you - I'm not sure what I can say..

Last edited:
I still see Pitto playing a major role, especially with the way finals are played

Either way, this group is starting to adapt and I think we will have a big 2nd half of the year
Cripps started to adjust in the second half - I think the use of a tagger has helped with TDK in the ruck as we can use him as an extra mid - he vs ruck at ground level he will win more than he loses ..

He’s an extra midfielder
We are clearly a more balanced team with TDK/Harry rucking, forward pressure has gone through the ceiling and TDK is just growing into the role.

The big question will be if TDK can remain healthy for rest of the season and Pitto only plays a couple of games...and another club shows interest during the trade period?

Pitto's far too good to be a backup VFL player, but we lose run and forward pressure with 2 rucks.

We are clearly a more balanced team with TDK/Harry rucking, forward pressure has gone through the ceiling and TDK is just growing into the role.

The big question will be if TDK can remain healthy for rest of the season and Pitto only plays a couple of games...and another club shows interest during the trade period?

Pitto's far too good to be a backup VFL player, but we lose run and forward pressure with 2 rucks.
Pitto can be far too good to be a backup VFL player & also not beneficial to our structure & game style.

We are a lot more dynamic & playing a better style of football with TDK being the main man.

I would argue he can be good and not beneficial at the same time, doubt u can say that for any other position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can see the Kreuzer influence with TDK.

Difference is he has physical tools Kreuzer didn't have, or maybe more accurately was robbed of with injuries. Hope TDK can stay fit.

It's interesting that all our rucks, whether TDK or Pitto or even Harry a couple times, often go the push off, grab ball from ruck and go the clearance. Its clearly a trained thing.

they are both good ruckman. TDK has a better rounded game.
I have noticed that Pitto is getting more active around the ground as well.
I believe that we should only play one at a time. I would go with a 70/30 split of games with TDK/Pitto.
This would keep both (hopefully) fresh for the finals.
Pitto goes well against the Gawn type rucks.
So for me it would be 'horses for courses'.

I quite like when Cripps or Kennedy take the hitouts also. Looks like it throws out the opposition system sometimes.

Tough on Pitto but great to have 2 viable options. I hope we give TDK a couple of rests later in the season.

Excellent work by SOS way back when he brought them both to the club.

Both were speculative pickups at the time and they're a big part of the spine of the team now. Great work by Austin to resign Pitto to a 4 year contract too. If another club comes in for a trade it protects his trade value but also provides great ruck depth for another 3 years.

Statistically speaking, there's no real difference between the two of them, I'm sure that they both will have a part too play in the finals, TDK may be .sexier, yet to be convinced he'll be a better ruckman than Pitto is.

I think both Pitto and TDK are very good rucks (and Pitto this year has been in excellent form). The question is which is generally better for us on field:
1) Pitto + TDK - a running smaller player
Or
2) TDK + a running smaller player - Pitto.

Whilst I think there will be a 'horses for courses' approach, and there are times when 2 rucks will be appropriate, I am also loving the way it has been going with TDK as main ruckman...

Pittonet is a good solid ruck. DeKoning has become the better player and by quite a bit.

Things I like about DeKoning is his improvement with his marking, he can go forward and have an impact. In the midfield, because he moves and has the skillset of a key position player he adds another player who can get involved in the play. He's a good athlete and natural footballer.

As a ruckman, his tap work has improved. He's fitter, heavier and stronger this season. Because he jumps and jumps into the opposition ruck, he's become a really good defensive ruck. This negates the control the opposition ruck has with their taps.

We are a better teams with just one ruckman. McKay in the midfield is actually really good and the fluctuation structure of our forward line just works.

Yep, Pittonet is a good ruck and is a waste running around in the VFL but that is a sign your list is good. A strong list with a decent injury list will have good players running around going to waste in the reserves. Unlucky for him, but I think we have all known that is has been a matter of when not if DeKoning will pass him.

If Markov comes on, Pitto becomes a very solid trade option? Too good to be running around in the magoos, the best players should play AFL every week and Pitto gets a game in at least 6 other sides next season as the No 1 ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back