Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's play all the sore bodies on Marvel off a 5 day break then. Bring on the cup..
Agree with both of you (I think). Bring in a few others for next week to fill in for the injured/sore/spent. The following week we must go best (available) 22, and straight for the jugular.

Edit : not all on the chopping block get a chance, only those at the level.

Fitness pending, I'd like us to play all those on the chopping block in the next few weeks. Got to give them a chance in the real stuff before clearing out the locker.
Great idea to play all our fringe players when our entire season is on the line. Maybe we should rest Cripps, Charlie and Harry as well?

I didn’t say that at all.
Resting injured players and playing our best team to win our remaining 8 or 9 games is very different to giving likely delistees a game just because
Take Mirkov and Akuei for example. Both taken as 'project' players with plenty of development needed when they were picked up. Some clubs as part of the development would give them a run at some stage to get a feel for the speed and use that as a part of the learning. Not what we do though, both will be gone in a few weeks. Next man up mentality for some of the squad, not others.

Take Mirkov and Akuei for example. Both taken as 'project' players with plenty of development needed when they were picked up. Some clubs as part of the development would give them a run at some stage to get a feel for the speed and use that as a part of the learning. Not what we do though, both will be gone in a few weeks. Next man up mentality for some of the squad, not others.
Next man up means NEXT man up.
It does not mean let’s bypass 10 blokes and go with the 42nd and 43rd man up to ‘get a feel for the speed.’

Next man up means NEXT man up.
It does not mean let’s bypass 10 blokes and go with the 42nd and 43rd man up to ‘get a feel for the speed.’
They should have been given a taste earlier. Won't happen, I hope we refrain from project picks though, it's pointless in our VFL system.

They should have been given a taste earlier. Won't happen, I hope we refrain from project picks though, it's pointless in our VFL system.
They’re simply not good enough.

Project picks are worth it because they’re cheap, and sometimes they come good. Picks that late are a lottery.

Fogarty simply wasn't good enough not that long ago. Some get better when they go up a level.
Fogarty recovered from injury, and then earned his spot through the 2s.
He also came into a team that was 4-8-1, and had lost 6 on the trot.

Can you really not see how that’s different to the likes of Mirkov or Akuei coming into our side that sits 2nd on the ladder with 5 games to go?

What thread am I in?

Honestly though, Mirkov has started showing some signs, might get a chance to train with us again in the off-season.
Mirkov started to show some signs will play pitt but if pitt get a bit sore should at least use Mirkov guy is 210 cm as a sub or a dead game too see how he goes no chance for Akuei although especially as a backman. Mirkov has had injuries and health issues Akuei has had a bit of go but hasn't developed that much in VFL the Irish guy Rob Monahan has shown a little bit but only season 1 hopefully step up and can get more of the ball year 2.

Last edited:
Let's keep with the one ruck and get behind Pitto. Think he can also fit the structure.

Collision in the centre + centre clearance al la Briggs/Xerri
Take a mark big guy, please
Tapouts - we know you got this Pitto
No free kicks in the defensive 50 (you'd be leading the league in goals shipped for ruckman)
Handball it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mirkov is on a decent upward spiral after seemingly sorting his health issues. AFL mooted to relax rookie rules to allow player who have had limited games to remain on rookie list for five years. This will be advantageous for us, with Hudson O’Keeffe in coming years and possibly Mirkov.

I would not be against Mirk getting a run at the top level if the cards fall that way. At the moment we can only guess at the impact his tapwork could have at the top level. A bit hard to commit a spot while we have so many playing sore, but if he continues the upward spiral, we could do worse than test it out.

Mirkov is on a decent upward spiral after seemingly sorting his health issues. AFL mooted to relax rookie rules to allow player who have had limited games to remain on rookie list for five years. This will be advantageous for us, with Hudson O’Keeffe in coming years and possibly Mirkov.

I would not be against Mirk getting a run at the top level if the cards fall that way. At the moment we can only guess at the impact his tapwork could have at the top level. A bit hard to commit a spot while we have so many playing sore, but if he continues the upward spiral, we could do worse than test it out.
test it out in training.

Mirkov started to show some signs will play pitt but if pitt get a bit sore should at least use Mirkov guy is 210 cm as a sub or a dead game too see how he goes no chance for Akuei although especially as a backman. Mirkov has had injuries and health issues Akuei has had a bit of go but hasn't developed that much in VFL the Irish guy Rob Monahan has shown a little bit but only season 1 hopefully step up and can get more of the ball year 2.
Only dead game left is West Coast, but I'd rather we looked at O'Keffee as a ruck/forward option if anything.

Look if we've got the ability to retain him as a rookie, I'm all for it, he's starting to take the game on properly.

But if we're doing that, we should probably be helping Pittonet find a new home.

Fogarty simply wasn't good enough not that long ago. Some get better when they go up a level.
Fogarty played around 20 senior games for Geelong before coming to Carlton, he wasn't a project player.
This isn't 2018, we have our eyes on the ultimate prize, not the time for these shenanigans.

I don't think either Mirkov or Akuei are going to make it and I certainly don't think either is up to a game in the firsts at the moment. Mirkov does nothing but tap, Akuei wonderful athlete but unfortunately doesn't know how to football.

I don't think either Mirkov or Akuei are going to make it and I certainly don't think either is up to a game in the firsts at the moment. Mirkov does nothing but tap, Akuei wonderful athlete but unfortunately doesn't know how to football.
Has Dom been tried out as a wing?

Has Dom been tried out as a wing?
Not that I can recall, but I think the problem for Dom is he just doesn't know his role. He has the athleticism and solid skills but his footy IQ is lacking.

I think to make it as awing he would need to understand the nuances of the game better. Intercept defender has been his main position and that suits him as it is fairly "see ball get ball" but then the issue is you never know what he is going to do with it.

Maybe as a deep forward where he again just goes for the ball and if he wins it has a shot? Can also take a turn in the ruck even though not that tall his leap compensates.

I would love for him to do enough to be kept on, his athleticism is off the charts, but the problem is he needs to come off cat B this year and I don't know if he has shown enough to win a spot on the standard rookie list.

For a couple of games there he really stepped up as an intercept defender but last couple of weeks it is back to his usual standard.

Yes, but it will take some time to build that strength, not sure he has the natural aggression though
Yeah, I've wondered about that last part. Given we've got Voss, Hamill (and even the likes of Power, Lonergan, and Ebert who were also hard at it type players), I wonder why that's so. Do we need a 'Robert Walls' camp...?

Yeah, I've wondered about that last part. Given we've got Voss, Hamill (and even the likes of Power, Lonergan, and Ebert who were also hard at it type players), I wonder why that's so. Do we need a 'Robert Walls' camp...?

Harry took a few years to be a little harder, but still not splitting packs or getting more aggressive as he should

Some people are built differently

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back