Five Seasons By Emma Quayle - Football journalism the way it should be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think it belongs on the FFE board because it's an amazing article and deserves in depth discussion on a football sense.

If you haven't already checked out Emma Quayle's Five Seasons, do so:

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2013/5seasons/index.html

Absolutely amazing insight into different players and sides. Tom Boyd, Nick Vlaustin, Jack Ziebell, Nathan Jones and Daniel Gianciracusa.

The Vlastuin article was the best footy reporting I've read since... The Draft in 2007 about Cotchin, Rioli, etc.

Why don't more journos write about players in a factual and straight forward manner? You don't need to sensationalise everything. Are they afraid it won't stand out amongst the many many journos going around?

Got lots of time for Emma Quayle, fantastic journo. If you haven't already, check out her book "The Draft", really interesting stuff, it goes through the lives of 5 players wanting to be drafted (Trent Cotchin, Ben McEvoy, Brad Ebert, Cyril Rioli and Pat Vespresomething from memory) and Hawthorn's basic drafting strategy for the upcoming draft.

Best journo and is well respected and liked by the players as well.

Imagine if she becomes a chief editor of one of the rags?
How good would it be to have a paper/site with relevant articles focused on players and not just sensationalist headlines waiting for the next bombshell of "Star player/club caught in ____ controversy" followed by a barrage of Barrett and Caro wank-fest*. :rolleyes:

*apologies for any disturbing images the sentence may have caused.

Not having a go, but this is why we get the scum journos (not just in footy)...

Scandal and headlines sell papers. Quality takes time, and doesn't make the same $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last little bit of the Tom Boyd piece is fantastic.

On here we have talked about him being pick 1 for close to 12 months but the kid still has a hard time asking scouts if they want to pick him.

You would have to think GWS have told him and Kelly they are 1 and 2 so that they can prepare for the move

Amazing work by the best journo in the country.

quality writer...excellent

Il speak for most here in that I read the article not because it involved a player from my club but in that it was written by Emma.
We all skim over anything written by Caro, Smith, Robbo, Ralph.

How lucky she is to be a valued and respected journalist in the footy media.

One of the only footy journalists that writes about football rather than scandals.

A lot of the stuff you read about footballers from the leading journalists belongs in the gossip mags.

I had never really read Emma's stuff before reading Gia's article, but knew she was well respected. That is easily the best football-related article i've ever read. I'm going to read the others when I have time, but it was extremely interesting to read about a player's real insight and real feelings as opposed to cliches.

Harsh on Caro ITT. She does her job well. Not there to write match reports.

The rest, I agree with.

Emma is the second best journalist in football, behind the insurmountable Martin Flanagan.

One of the only footy journalists that writes about football rather than scandals.

A lot of the stuff you read about footballers from the leading journalists belongs in the gossip mags.

Caro sells papers, if people didn't want to lap it up like rabid dogs they wouldn't have her write.

The Vlastuin article was the best footy reporting I've read since... The Draft in 2007 about Cotchin, Rioli, etc.

Why don't more journos write about players in a factual and straight forward manner? You don't need to sensationalise everything. Are they afraid it won't stand out amongst the many many journos going around?

Doesn't sell papers. If player X gets caught by police with cocaine it gets on page 1. If that same player stops by the side of the road and helps someone it gets on page 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Five Seasons By Emma Quayle - Football journalism the way it should be done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back