Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he did.

Surely if Leppa is going to be that tough to replace, we would offer him the big bucks, no?

Very surprised with this news.

$$$ have nothing to do with it.

Clearly the interviews that Leppa has recently had indicated that it would be in his best interest to have a look at another club/environment if he wishes to be further considered for senior roles, ala Brad Scott to Collingwood.

Will be great exposure for him at Hawthorn, (who are reportedly courting him).

Agree with Grim re: the lions becoming very insular, bringing in some fresh ideas, views, cultivated outside the northern state would be a fantastic thing. Would definitely look at Laidly who is widely regarded as having great tactical nous, Adam Simpson has apparently been running the midfield for the last two years so would greatly benefit us, as I believe this and our forward line are our main areas of concern.

****ing hell. That's pretty much the entire lot bar Bozo and Piggy.

Exodus Watch has been looking in the wrong place.

Leppitsch will be a MASSIVE loss. His work with our defenders has been phenomenal. Lets hope he has already taught them all he knows. My understanding is that he's a bit of a tactics guru too, so he'll be a huge loss from the coach's box.

The Brittain brothers likewise... they are great with the young blokes.

Can't blame Johnno for wanting to get back to Victoria eventually I guess.

The real question is... who do we replace them with? We may need to get the chequebook out and offer some big money.

Some names off the top of my head...

Nigel Lappin
Chris Scott
Adam Simpson
Craig McRae
Scott West
James Hird (pipe dream... but you never know)
Luke Darcy (really rate him, but we already have a ruck coach)
Dean Laidley (if he can stand being an assistant again - great tactical coach)
Shane Woewodin
Blake Caracella
Alan Richardson
Jade Rawlings

And one from left field... Tim Notting... from what I hear, he really has a way with the young blokes... could be a good development assistant should he retire this year. Robert Copeland may be work a look too.
Excellent list TBD.

My preference would be a couple of outsiders and a couple of the guys we know. Woewodin I rate for the development he has done with his players but the only thing I would question is why he hasn't been an assistant to date? If there are no skeletons he is one I would like to see with us. Similarly Alan Richardson. Of the Lions guys I would like McRae and Scott marginally ahead of Nigel. Going with that group would give us a very strong development team for our young guys. Not sure how they go tactically but you would think there is plenty of football knowledge there.

Excellent list TBD.

Of the Lions guys I would like McRae and Scott marginally ahead of Nigel.

Coburg were 4th on the ladder when McRae took over, since Rawlings was appointed care-taker coach of Richmond, Coburg have not won a game. There is heated debate amongst my Richmond mates as to McRae's capabilities at the top level.

I wonder (and this is only half in jest) if many of the young assistants out there would be slightly reluctant to work with Voss.

Not saying that I am not impressed with Voss this year, but assistants with senior coaching ambition might be more keen to work with a more experienced senior coach who has been around the block a few times.

Additionally, many of the assistants out there are from Voss's generation and have likely been on the end of some supreme sledging from the great man. Might be a bitter pill to swallow towork under him. ;)

Not that I'm not excited about our position and the considerable gains we have made with our young players this year, but if I were to be critical in regard to our coaching, it would be that our pre-match set-ups and plans often fail. We often find ourselves fighting back from behind, more often than not, we are bad starters.

Whilst I think a lot of that is because of an inexperienced playing group, we have shown that ultimately we can and do win. So clearly we are either not switched on from the opening siren or we just don't have the right match-ups.

Our coaches are great motivators and the players are receptive and responsive, but on the other hand, coaches seem good tactically - in a reactive sense. Seemingly they are not great forecasters, planners and/or deductively able to predict what the opposition will do from the outset.

Anyway, I'm grateful to the assistants going, particularly because all of them have considerable lion blood flowing through their veins. But an injection of fresh ideas would be very beneficial, we are quite insular, and a better balance is in order.

I still wouldn't mind an experienced assistant coming on board, maybe a Brian Royal who I understand also could be on the outer at Richmond IIRC. I am probably most surprised that Wayne Brittain is leaving, I thought his experience would have been very beneficial to Coach Voss, but you never know what the re

I am just not sure having an array of assistants who have only just come out of playing. For mine, a second criteria is must have come from a successful club.

You call Richmond a successful club? :p

Don't know enough about candidates' credentials to throw names out there, but a mix of experience/freshness and outside/inside would be good.

Methinx that as part of then Matthews handover, it was agreed that the brothers Brittain be part of the process as 'mentors' as much as assistants. At the time this was 1 big reason I felt Vossy would succeed, him with limited experience. Methinx they now feel their work is done & can move on. The Bisbane Football Club will always owe them, and it is such people that make it a great club.

If Leppa is going to coach in his own right the time has come to move on to a new envioronment. Perhaps there is an element of the above in his career choices over the last year or so. Bets wishes for the future for a great club man.

CJ & family were reluctant to come originally. Perhaps this is a factor? Again best wishes to one of our greats.

I like the sound of Possum moving into the coaches box - perhaps as playing coach of the "b" grade? In modern football there is a place for 1 immediate past player in the coaches box. Adam Simpson is well worth chasing - offer him a good, stable, financially secure club over that Port rabble. Perhaps a 3 year deal to entice the move from Melbourne. Don't be surprised if there are a couple of Crows retirements worth considering - like Tyson Edwards.

Does the Orb delve into these areas?

P.Sumich seems to have a good reputation. We'd probably have to fork out a lot of money to get him, but he might also think a change of scene and a new opportunity to display his ability in working with a different group of players might advance his career.

I don't think McRae would be regarded as a prospective senior coach in the making, and so while his form with Coburg might not be crash hot, he has been talked of pretty solidly as an assistant. I suppose Richmond's form might make it hard to judge his influence, though.

B.Lade is one recent retiree who has been mentioned in light of potential coaching duties. Being untried, it's hard to know how he'd go, but he always seems to have been highly respected at Port Adelaide as a senior player and leader of the team.

I'd be a bit reluctant to sign up T.Notting. This is on the basis that I personally don't think that he has ever gotten the best out of himself as a player, in terms of consistency. Although I could well imagine him having a great manner of nurturing the younger players, I'd be concerned that he might not really have the fortitude to really demand the best out of players as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Wirrpanda would be worth a look at if he wants to stay involved in footy.
It would certainly be worth the ask Paul - I would love David to come to the Lions, I note he has links to Fitzroy [related on his mothers side to Sir Douglas Nicholls] although it would not surprise me if the majority of his after football life is directed to his family and the David Wirrpanda Foundation.

A brief synopsis of Monday on SEN

Dermott Brereton: "all the assistants have moved on as the new guy has a my way or the highway mentality, which has got up thier noses a bit"
David Schwartz: "A bit like Stalin"
DB: "only he was more compassionate"
Yeh I heard that.

They both had a knowing all giggle.

What you don't want to hear on that show is a conversation without Francis Leach-cos that leaves the two mental dwarves...

you would like to think with our rich list (no pun intended) of WA talent, he wouldn't mind coming over here. And for us, he has probably seen a few of our guys, so would be good to have someone with history with the players around too.

What would be people's ideal setup of assistant coaches next year of the currently available coaches out there ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back