Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

With Gonzo leaving, McRae would make the ideal coach of the reserves:thumbsu:

Coburg were 4th on the ladder when McRae took over, since Rawlings was appointed care-taker coach of Richmond, Coburg have not won a game. There is heated debate amongst my Richmond mates as to McRae's capabilities at the top level.

Furthermore as a 'development coach' he should take at least some of the responsibility for Richmond's list not developing.

McRae was highly rated at one stage but he doesn't seem to have any runs on the board.

Coburg were 4th on the ladder when McRae took over, since Rawlings was appointed care-taker coach of Richmond, Coburg have not won a game. There is heated debate amongst my Richmond mates as to McRae's capabilities at the top level.

Isn't this when all the decent reserves players got called up because Rawlings wanted to play the kids?

I really took little interest in the Richmond situation so I could be wrong...

Isn't this when all the decent reserves players got called up because Rawlings wanted to play the kids?

I really took little interest in the Richmond situation so I could be wrong...
Sample period too small and became caretaker coach for the twos more than half the way through.Cant read anything into it and head coach may not be his go anyway.

Wraps are huge,happy about this.

Lets give Fly some credit and a chance to prove himself at a club with a decent culture.

Isn't the first or the last person to be scapegoated for Richmond's failings.

You could use that argument for anyone at Richmond (eg. Raines, JON...:eek:). What are we giving Fly credit for? Is he not (partly) responsible for instilling the right culture at the club.

Then presumably that would mean he had the (better) senior players to work with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could use that argument for anyone at Richmond (eg. Raines, JON...:eek:). What are we giving Fly credit for? Is he not (partly) responsible for instilling the right culture at the club.

Partly, but football clubs are complex organisms and pointing the finger at one particular person is stupidity.

Do you think its just a "jobs for the boys" policy in effect Grim or do you think the club has probably given it some thought?

I heard nothing but good things about his development work with the 2006 Queensland u18 side... and many of those have gone on to good things.

Regardless, just because his job as coach of Coburg didn't work out, doesn't mean he doesn't have a valuable role to play.

Beau McDonald has done absolute wonders with Mitch Clark this year... but I don't think he has senior coaching potential. Does it matter as long as he can play a role?

The Suncoast/Brisbane Lions reserves experiment shows that you have plenty of frontline talent but still struggle if the 10 top-up players dont put in.

Partly, but football clubs are complex organisms and pointing the finger at one particular person is stupidity.

By that logic you can never evaluate any coach.

I'm just trying to look at his record. Do you think he has done a good job as either development coach or as coach of Coburg?

The Suncoast/Brisbane Lions reserves experiment shows that you have plenty of frontline talent but still struggle if the 10 top-up players dont put in.

Is that the reason why the reserves don't dominate... or is it a lot to do with the majority of the reserves side is young compared to potential seasoned players?

Do you think he has done a good job as either development coach or as coach of Coburg?

A massively loaded question.

Unless we can find some way to scientifically separate the various factors involved, including the big one... whether the players recruited are actually any good... we'd just be guessing.

A massively loaded question.

Unless we can find some way to scientifically separate the various factors involved, including the big one... whether the players recruited are actually any good... we'd just be guessing.

How is it a loaded question?:confused:

Do you think Brad Scott did a good job as development coach at Collingwood?

Do you think Brad Scott would have done a good job at Richmond?

You seem to be avoiding all my questions...

In answer to your hypothetical, I would imagine Scott would have done a lot better than McRae if he had gone to Richmond.

You seem to be avoiding all my questions...

In answer to your hypothetical, I would imagine Scott would have done a lot better than McRae if he had gone to Richmond.

I'm not avoiding your questions, I am simply pointing out that any answer to the questions is going to be nothing more than subjective opinion and gut feeling.

My gut feeling says to sit back and see what happens.

I'm not avoiding your questions, I am simply pointing out that any answer to the questions is going to be nothing more than subjective opinion and gut feeling.

My gut feeling says to sit back and see what happens.

Why are you adament in your opinions on Raines, yet so reluctant to analyse McRae?

Why are you adament in your opinions on Raines, yet so reluctant to analyse McRae?

In what way?

Its a little easier to isolate a player's performance rather than one less visible member of a coaching team, would you not agree?

If I asked you to provide an analysis on the performances of Scott Harding and Craig Brittain this year, I have a strong suspicion you'd be able to provide a much more compelling and legitimate report on the former.

In what way?

Its a little easier to isolate a player's performance rather than one less visible member of a coaching team, would you not agree?

You were talking up Tim Notting as an assistant coach. I would have thought it's easier to evaluate McRae than it is Notting.

I think you are drawing a long bow to suggest that McRae is somehow not cut out to be an assistant coach because of some supposed failings of the Richmond football club.

Maybe they don't have the cattle? Maybe they all quit because Wallet spent all his time at the solarium? Maybe all the senior players who went back to Coburg when McRae took over that instead of Rawlings didn't want to play reserves football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back