Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah CJ did what was right for him, and wanted to go home. But there's no denying, it hurt like hell for many Eagle die hard supporters, who still had the 2006 Grand Final fresh in their memory. It felt disloyal, and as if the club meant nothing to him, after all of that.

I can't blame Eagles supporters for hurting. When a club superstar leaves it is never going to feel right & condemnation & anger are natural.
Without trying to be a smartar*e I feel for those supporters.
Part of the reason the Eagles got a fair bit from the trade with Carlton I am sure would have been because Judd would have asked Carlton to not screw over the Eagles.
Hate him if you want Eagles but I think he tried to leave on better terms than many others before him who did simply leave for money.

Do Carlton play home games at the MCG?

Do Carlton have good training facilities?

Have Carlton played finals in the last 5 years?

Is Carlton close to Judd's family?

I'm seeing more 'no's' than I am 'yes's'. Can someone say smokescreen?

1. Yes.

2. Redevelopment has recently started at Princes Park and soon Carlton will have some of the best training facilities in the AFL.

3. No, but we will in the next 5 however.

4. Are you joking? How the hell was West Coast close to Judd's family?

Do Carlton play home games at the MCG?

Do Carlton have good training facilities?

Have Carlton played finals in the last 5 years?

Is Carlton close to Judd's family?

I'm seeing more 'no's' than I am 'yes's'. Can someone say smokescreen?

Carlton play nine games at the MCG which is one, two or maybe a lot more than the Eagles play there. Does Judd care if they are home games ?

Carltons facilities have been improved as they have had most of thier debt wiped away & are getting better.

Carlton have enough talent on thier list to start making some finals.

Carlton is a fair bit closer to Judds family than Perth.

You could argue that the big names that went to North in the 70's were attracted solely by the coin. But the amount was massive for the times and it was a transition period toward full time professionalism in the game.

You only get a certain time in the game and there's nothing wrong with feeling a certain responsibility to your family....and noone likes that feeling of being taken for granted.

I have no issue with any guy attracted away by a considerably larger contract. When its boiled down its simply a profession with a limited tenure and no guarantee's of tomorrow. Guys feel responsibilities not just to themselves.

Whynot talk about the guys that knocked back big $ to remain loyal...doesnt put a stigma on those who simply prioritised their remuneration for whatever reason.

The only (wanted) player to ever leave Carlton, Hamill. Dirty greedy dog. :thumbsdown:

Convenient line that.

Of course John Elliots big mouth and stupidity at the time more than contributed to that move.

That was a massive offer at the time and many would consider it irresponsible NOT to at least strongly consider it in any profession. If your boss needlessly bad mouths you over it at the wrong time then it can rapidly accelerate and effect a decison.

Convenient line that.

Of course John Elliots big mouth and stupidity at the time more than contributed to that move.

That was a massive offer at the time and many would consider it irresponsible NOT to at least strongly consider it in any profession. If your boss needlessly bad mouths you over it at the wrong time then it can rapidly accelerate and effect a decison.

Spot on, he was wanted alright but not by Elliot, most Carlton supporters know this but, as usual, like many choose to live in denial .

Wasnt the reson he left though (if that is what you are saying). Madden retired at the end of 92, Salmon left Essendon in 95.

I believe it had something to do with a match against the Eagles in 95, and the reception Salmon got from the Essendon supporters in the crowd which wasnt particularly supportive.

In short, Salmon asked Sheeds if he could play in the ruck, Sheeds said "Why would I want to play you in the ruck when you can kick 70 goals from full forward". After that conversation, Salmon knew if he wanted to play ruck it was going to be at another club.

Brereton did not leave for money, he left because the club showed him no respect. Admin was a shambles at that point in time.
They werent going to pay him any more than a 1st year player!

they couldnt pay him any more then a first yr player. He was shown the door as the salary cap was introduced, the same as many of the Hawthorn stars of the 80's.

Blame the AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they couldnt pay him any more then a first yr player. He was shown the door as the salary cap was introduced, the same as many of the Hawthorn stars of the 80's.

Blame the AFL!

Well everyone else seemed to be able to pay there players fairly, with the exception of Carlton and Essendon who cheated the system, how their 93 and 95 flags still count baffles me.

Not sure if this had already been addressed, but I'm pretty sure he was a WA boy, hence the reason to go play for freo when they came into the comp?

His replacement for mine would be Andrew Wills

More in reference to his move from Freo to Carlton, where it was revealed he was one of the players implicated in their salary cap breach as well

Not sure if this had already been addressed, but I'm pretty sure he was a WA boy, hence the reason to go play for freo when they came into the comp?

His replacement for mine would be Andrew Wills
O'Reilly then came to Carlton. Probably delisted or asked to be traded rather than money.
Pretty ordinary deal & player for Carlton.

Originally Posted by kane249
More in reference to his move from Freo to Carlton, where it was revealed he was one of the players implicated in their salary cap breach as well

Oh, didn't relise that...

Oh christ, what a stupid move by carlton to salary cheat for the sake of him.
We got caught, punished & deserved what we got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footballers who were disloyal and chased the almighty dollar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back