Footy confessions

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't stand Cameron Ling. As a Geelong fan I cringe when people mention him as a pillar of Geelong's success. He was an absolute liability on the field, his all Australian in 2007 was a joke. His foot skills were deplorable and the amount of times he was caught out on the spread amazes me. No idea why people compare Harley and Maxwell as average playing captains. Cameron Ling was a level below Maxwell and half the footballer Harley was. "Geelong great" I still get a chuckle every time I hear that one.
You are an idiot. Ask Sam Mitchell and Dane Swan if they enjoyed playing on Lingy. The guy was a clamp.
Half the footballer Harley was? Lol

The word threepeat is already tired and fourthorn is getting on my nerves

I liked the sound of both a couple of weeks ago

No they weren't, only 2 at most would of resulted in a free with the current ruling.

The rule was change due to the Richmond player rushing the behind straight from the kick in not Hawthorn.
Yep Joel Bowden ...glad that rule changed hated watching that game ...didn't much like Bowden either thought he was soft

My impression of Wallace was that he was a great tactition, but seemed to have no rapport or buyin from his playing group... And yeah your description fits as well.
If his ego allowed, i reckon he wouldve done great as an assistant alongside a great man-manager coach.
My take on him was that his game plans were so convoluted and changed by the quarter that the players were unable to follow them and gave up trying to

The 3 hawthorn premierships have come at the point where the gap between the best teams and 2Nd best teams has been at the greatest since 2002 (Geelong v port being the exception)

I completely agree. I find his celebrity persona incredibly embarrassing. I hate listening to him speak and think he is an incredibly overrated player and did not deserve the BnF. I hate that he robbed Rough of a BnF in 2013.

I also hate his fashion crap and I don't find him even remotely attractive

I don't know where to start with this, there's so much wrong with this post.

Yes, you hate Gibbo, but why does it matter if you don't find him attractive?
He's a damn footballer!

For the topic, I'm a huge admirer of Adelaide and they way they play footy.
They've always played attacking, attractive footy.

Last edited:
I think Eddie is a fantastic leader for Collingwood and that his influence on the AFL has been largely +ve.

Yes there are a few clubs (including Port) that have butted up against him, and a few unfortunate public utterances, but he has done/said so much that has advanced the sport.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to agree with you on Frawley, also Brad Hill comes across even worse, plus he has to be one of the worst players to ever win a premiership, never mind 3, I dare anyone to name a worse 3 time premiership player
Zing.

I think Eddie is a fantastic leader for Collingwood and that his influence on the AFL has been largely +ve.

Yes there are a few clubs (including Port) that have butted up against him, and a few unfortunate public utterances, but he has done/said so much that has advanced the sport.

1st point is spot on.

2nd point I do find myself agreeing to an extent, but certainly not in every instance as the 1st point inherently means there is a strong degree of self interest that takes over.

Even as a carlton fan I believe Ben Cousins was a much better footballer than Chris Judd.
I didn't want to reply to this thread until I read all of the posts, but this is ridiculous IMO
Judd was the best player in the league at the time, whereas Cousins was the 3rd best mid (admittedly they had 3 of the best 6 mids at the time), but cousins was allowed to run around unchecked because Judd had the taggers all on his shoulders
Crawford was even better than Cousins

I didn't want to reply to this thread until I read all of the posts, but this is ridiculous IMO
Judd was the best player in the league at the time, whereas Cousins was the 3rd best mid (admittedly they had 3 of the best 6 mids at the time), but cousins was allowed to run around unchecked because Judd had the taggers all on his shoulders
Crawford was even better than Cousins
Cousins the 3rd best midfielder at WCE.... comfortably the stupidest thing i have read on bigfooty.. Cousins had won 3 All Australians before Judd played his first game at WCE. Cousins took gut running too a new level never seen before in AFL. This is in no way a slight on Judd because he was a freak but IMO Cousins off field exploits means that just how good he was as a footballer is often forgotten.

Cousins the 3rd best midfielder at WCE.... comfortably the stupidest thing i have read on bigfooty.. Cousins had won 3 All Australians before Judd played his first game at WCE. Cousins took gut running too a new level never seen before in AFL. This is in no way a slight on Judd because he was a freak but IMO Cousins off field exploits means that just how good he was as a footballer is often forgotten.
Agreed. Cousins was an absolute freak and a half, do rate him very high on the all time greats. Idgaf what people think of that

They're not necessary- but a couple of all-in brawls every now and then would be pretty good.

Like most fans I love the tactical side of the game, and strategies like king hits, chicken wing tackles & suplexes would add an interesting element.

100%. Prior to the Grand Final so much commentary focused on Hawthorn's "unsociable" football. There was an expectation that Hawthorn would come out and intimidate West Coast. It was supposed to be a tough, physical contest.

Instead the Hawks just came out and played really good football. Boring!

I agree to an extent. The other aspect of the game that needs a face-lift is the commentary.

I don't understand why luminaries of the game are given plush media roles when their career ends without even having a background in the industry. The game is not rocket science and think that most of the people on this thread could be just as entertaining as past greats.

Don't get me wrong they do a good job, but i think with the standing the afl has in the country, we deserve elite commentators who provide superior analysis and entertainment. I dare say that the next "Bruce" or "Dennis" types have lost an opportunity to do what they love at the expense of some guy who was a great player back in his day. The other unfortunate aspect of having ex-greats commentating is having to watch their co-hosts pine over their past achievements.

Would be interested in whether others agree?

I agree to an extent. The other aspect of the game that needs a face-lift is the commentary.

I don't understand why luminaries of the game are given plush media roles when their career ends without even having a background in the industry. The game is not rocket science and think that most of the people on this thread could be just as entertaining as past greats.

Don't get me wrong they do a good job, but i think with the standing the afl has in the country, we deserve elite commentators who provide superior analysis and entertainment. I dare say that the next "Bruce" or "Dennis" types have lost an opportunity to do what they love at the expense of some guy who was a great player back in his day. The other unfortunate aspect of having ex-greats commentating is having to watch their co-hosts pine over their past achievements.

Would be interested in whether others agree?

I can't like this enough. The level of tv commentary on afl is abysmal. The great tv commentators (see Richie Benaud as example a) realize that the pictures can tell the story, and, silence can be ideal.

I don't mind Bruce, but at the end of the hawks pies game this year, when the players and coaches got together and then formed the circle to remember Phil Walsh, he had zero idea what was happening but kept talking. I have since watched the end of the game any number of times, and every time I just wish he would shut up.

As for BT, darce, Dwayne, basil, rompingwins, and dermie, just shut the %#*^ up. Tell us who has the ball, who is tackling/pressuring, and save your moronic discussions on what a bag is, or what a player is thinking, till a dead moment. Please! And it's not just the commentators, it's channel 7 and foxtel telling them that they should assume their audience are morons.

We deserve better

I was neither here nor there on Robbo until I started watching 360 regularly (the HS factor went against him actually) but I freakin love him now. He actually asks coaches and players questions that I would want to ask, not the standard lines that you get from most journos. And I generally find all his nonsense pretty amusing.
And he sounds drunk/lobotomised/on crack when doing so. Fascinating television.

He reminds me a bit of Mr Creosote on The Meaning of Life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy confessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back