Footy confessions

Remove this Banner Ad

.... The other aspect of the game that needs a face-lift is the commentary .... Would be interested in whether others agree?
Start a thread on this topic and find out - assuming there isn't one already.

I didn't want to reply to this thread until I read all of the posts, but this is ridiculous IMO
Judd was the best player in the league at the time, whereas Cousins was the 3rd best mid (admittedly they had 3 of the best 6 mids at the time), but cousins was allowed to run around unchecked because Judd had the taggers all on his shoulders
Crawford was even better than Cousins
Cousins won the MVP and Brownlow in the same year, usually a sign as unanimously the best player in the comp that year. This was with Judd in the team. He was so very much better than Kerr, I don't even know how anybody who watched them during that time can come to that conclusion. Cousins was a star before Judd and Kerr came along, Kerr achieved nothing without the other 2. Cousins also got tagged quite a bit even with Judd in the team. Crawford was a star but Cousins was still another level up if memory serves me correct.

I always felt Francis Bourke was wildly over-rated. Tough, yes. Great player, nope.
I was a big big fan of Roger Merrett's "presence" on the footy field.
These two opinions have gotten me into many Tiger fan scraps over the years. Fortunately those "chasps" are usually drunk and/or over-weight. They are still endearing, but.

OK, confessions
I used to "support" Carlton a bit, before I moved to Melbourne, but was predominantly a WAFL fan of the mighty Bulldogs.
I loathe west coast, but don't mind Freo (2nd team actually before the MCCarthy scenario, but that could change). Their supporters IN GENERAL I find to be much more bearable
I prefer Adelaide to Port Power easily despite a couple of PP supporters on BF being amongst my favourites & I know they hate being called port power, so I do that on purpose
I have strong opinions about players & many fly against popular opinion, but I don't care & I do love the banter
I've snuck booze into Subi oval, Etihad & the G
I've been so plastered I couldn't remember the game
I've cried when my side has lost
I have yelled out obscenities & dumb things at the game
There is one player that I hate so much I actually hope he gets injured (not going into details, not even in a pm, sorry)
The west coast supporters & the WA media are a top 10 reason I moved to Vic
I still consider SA an eastern state
I still consider myself West Australian, but I'm a Melbourne person, not a Perth person.
I like the hawthorn away jumper better than the normal one
I wish there were cheerleaders
I'm a fan of trialling rules during pre-season games
I'd like to see a time-out given a go
I like Eddie McGuire & James Brayshaw as commentators, but not when their team is playing.
I check Big Footy every day & I love this site, but it has severely curtailed my productivity
When I played as a kid, many years ago I was skilled, could find the ball ok, run really well, but was a wimp. I didn't want to hurt, nor be hurt. I only developed confidence later in life & by then I was past it. Now I can run maybe 10 metres before getting puffed & my kicking would struggle to reach 35m when my left (non-preferred) once sailed almost 50m, but despite my shortcomings over the years I often bag AFL players
I prefer games not involving my team to attend & I usually throw $10 on the draw, but I haven't won yet. I like not caring who wins
I believe that small "errors" by umpires, even early in the game can go a long way to deciding a result.

I think Will Minson is intriguing

Yeah.

He's one of a group we like to call "The Strange Cats", the type that Scotty Clayton seemed to love.

With Cooney, Jarrad Grant, Murphy (to an extent), and Lake, Will belongs to a fairly weird subculture at the Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my team plays later on the weekend (Saturday night, Sunday), then on the Friday night game I'll pick the team I like better/want to win more and pretend that North is playing. And if, for example, a player with the #10 has the ball, I envisage them as Ben Cunnington (#10). Same with the rest of the players and their guernsey numbers. Weird huh?

I remember we were playing Adelaide away and had kicked 1 goal for the half in ostensibly perfect conditions. At some point in the third quarter, we were down by over 100 points and I started cheering on Adelaide and wanting them to increase their lead. My reasoning at the time was that only if we are truly embarrassed would we learn anything from the experience....

Forgive me Eddie for I have sinned,

In my closet I have football jersey that aren't black and white.

I have Fitzroy, South Melbourne and Footscray jerseys that I covet, and if they weren't woollen and scratchy, and I still had my 16 year old physique, I would be tempted to wear them, possibly even in public.

I got nervous watching a replay of the 2015 gf last weekend. Several times the Eagles looked the goods. Particularly the beginning of each half.

Had to remind myself I wasn't watching in real time. Could easily have gone Eagles way.

going to basically every west adelaide game since i can remember has made me apathetic to basically every single social situation ever. nothing has ever made me cry as much as west adelaide.

i havent gone to a crows game in 10 years (and counting) cos i just cant bring myself to sit amongst shushers and people who dont give a shit about the game. i am horrific to watch sport with because other people just annoy me to no end unless they're as into it as me. i like to watch the crows game and i do get into them while watching it, but after it's done i don't really care.

I barracked for Collingwood as a child, mum kept taking me to Richmond games every Saturday and brainwashed me. I even have a photo of me in a Collingwood shirt. I hate them now. Always loved Gary Ablett senior. I would be in awe when watching him live. Off field I admire Collingwood and Hawthorn, I love Al Clarkson, I think with out him they wouldn't have had the success they have had. I like the way Dane Swan carries himself on and off field. Happy that dusty is good mates with him.

I have had Azaria Chamberlain chained to a column in my basement for 35yrs doing my laundry and ironing.

Edit: I just read the OP. Footy confessions! My bad. Nothing springs to mind.
This is a message from the Australian Federal Police. Your IP has been noted and your home address will be surrounded in moments.

Gee, this metadata stuff really works!

I started out supporting 2 teams. Carlton and North Melbourne. Lasted about 7 rounds until they played each other but had a soft spot for them for years after.

Used to despise Nathan Buckley and all he represented. From watching him in the media, I actually like him as a person. Articulate, well measured, can take a joke. A personable bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy confessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back