Forget Buddy and Cyril ...

Remove this Banner Ad

I am one of those rare Cat fans who enjoys Hawthorn and their style of play. There is no game I look forward to more than Geelong v Hawthorn.

Luke Hodge is my favourite non-Geelong player. He is in my mind the epitome of sportsmanship and a fantastic player. Hawthorn are clearly a lesser team without him fit and firing.

But Franklin is the key for the Hawks. If he is held, they will struggle to win it this year.

The big step forward for the Hawks IMO is Savage, Suckling, Shiels and Breust...these four worry me as a Cat fan.....they offer something that may make the Hawks even more competitive in the coming years.

Crikey...they may even beat us :eek::D

dave u sure u dont secretly barrack for the hawks ? ;)

mate very incisive comments.

The youth is the difference this season my friend.

Hodge is the heart beat but Buddy is the match winner.

There is a slight difference.

Hodge makes Hawthorn a better team but no one can tear another team apart quicker than Buddy.

He doesnt even need help if its the bombers, he will do it on his own.

He loves the bombers :)

Surprised that this thread hasn't turned into a bias scrap. Quality posts everywhere! :)

Arguably, Josh Gibson is Hawthorn's most integral component atm; Stratton and Gilham falling down has decreased the options.

Re. Buddy and Cyril - both are match-winners, and remove one or few match-winners from a team and it invariably becomes more difficult to win matches. I don't believe Buddy is essential to winning games; quite obvious it's a team sport, but match-winners generally need to fire for premiership success to occur. It's the same for every team.

Re. Buddy and Cyril - both are match-winners,

And you all wonder why we think Rioli is over rated.

Rioli is a highlights package with possible potential. Not among the best small forwards in the League, and it would be generous to call him the fourth best midfielder at Hawthorn if you want to put that hat on him.

How that makes him a game breaking match winner has me stuffed.

Rioli is a highlights package with possible potential. Not among the best small forwards in the League, and it would be generous to call him the fourth best midfielder at Hawthorn if you want to put that hat on him.

Only on discussion boards like this is the word 'overrated' associated with Rioli. In AFL circles he is widely regarded an elite talent, who can destroy the opposition, whether the ball is in his hands or not.

I'd say Rioli has the potential to be one of the best small forwards in the League. He's not there yet, still has a long way to go but this year he was thrown into the midfield and got injured so the second half of the season will give him a chance to stamp himself on the game.

As for a match winner, he can be a player that does small things that lift the side. His work rate and his pressure is something that I suppose some could view as a match winning feature but that's a matter of opinion. Personally I see him as a player with an amazing ability to work in tight contests and also a great player to have applying the pressure in our forward line. He's not one of the best players in the League, but most Hawks fans would agree with this. He's just an exciting player to watch when he is on his game.

dave u sure u dont secretly barrack for the hawks ? ;)

mate very incisive comments.

The youth is the difference this season my friend.

Hodge is the heart beat but Buddy is the match winner.

There is a slight difference.

Hodge makes Hawthorn a better team but no one can tear another team apart quicker than Buddy.

He doesnt even need help if its the bombers, he will do it on his own.

He loves the bombers :)

Mate, I will be sticking it up you in 2 weeks when we play the Squarks!!! And you know it!

Seriously though, its a good step forward for the Hawks. You guys took your time with Suckling and are now reaping the benefits. The other three are only going to get better. I can see quite a few more great contests between our teams over the next few years.

The 2011 Grand Final would be a good start!

Oh....by the way...Rioli is a spud :D

Mate, I will be sticking it up you in 2 weeks when we play the Squarks!!! And you know it!

Seriously though, its a good step forward for the Hawks. You guys took your time with Suckling and are now reaping the benefits. The other three are only going to get better. I can see quite a few more great contests between our teams over the next few years.

The 2011 Grand Final would be a good start!

Oh....by the way...Rioli is a spud :D

varcoe is a bigger spud!! :rolleyes: LOL

Good to see you posting again...you will win again in two weeks I reckon...but our "New" gameplan, death by a thousand passes will be ready by sept. and we will be ready to deliver the Sept heartbreak to the pussies again :)

anyone care to guess which player hawthorn will go to without question one-on-one?

I'll give you a hint. It's not Franklin, nor is it Hodge.

He might not have the stamina to do it often enough, but Rioli is the best contest-winner in the competition.

absfab, if you can't recognise the talent of Cyril Rioli you're not watching enough footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absfab, if you can't recognise the talent of Cyril Rioli you're not watching enough footy.

If you can't think of anything better than that, why not remain silent. It's a dull, meaningless line.

Rioli is well behind the best small forwards in the league, and well behind four or possibly five midfielders at Hawthorn alone. You can huff and puff as much as you like, but thems the facts.

He is indeed more talented than average. Like about 50 other youngsters running around. And he's well behind a good number of them as well.

Rioli is a streaky, flashy player who had the good fortune to be part of a Premiership side at the beginning of his career. For both those reasons he attracts notice. If he played for North, or Port or any other low profile bottom 8 Club we'd never hear his name.

Short version ...... over rated.

If you can't think of anything better than that, why not remain silent. It's a dull, meaningless line.

Rioli is well behind the best small forwards in the league, and well behind four or possibly five midfielders at Hawthorn alone. You can huff and puff as much as you like, but thems the facts.

He is indeed more talented than average. Like about 50 other youngsters running around. And he's well behind a good number of them as well.

Rioli is a streaky, flashy player who had the good fortune to be part of a Premiership side at the beginning of his career. For both those reasons he attracts notice. If he played for North, or Port or any other low profile bottom 8 Club we'd never hear his name.

What dribble.

Mike Sheehan already has Cyril in the top 30 players in the AFL.

Now before you go on your rant about how Mike knows nothing about footy, I will say he knows a hell of a lot more than you do.

(your posting history is trolling the Hawks and their players)

I am not sure why the Hawk hate or the Rioli dribble (maybe because its the fact that Carlton are the Hawks bitches)

So stop talking shit.

(your posting history is trolling the Hawks and their players)

My posting history is quite consistent and involves sticking pins in the pompous. The over representation of Hawthorn supporters among the pompous is a phenomenon for which I am not responsible.

My posting history is quite consistent and involves sticking pins in the pompous. The over representation of Hawthorn supporters among the pompous is a phenomenon for which I am not responsible.

At least you did not dispute the fact that Carlton are the Hawks bitches. :thumbsu:

What dribble.

Mike Sheehan already has Cyril in the top 30 players in the AFL.

Rofl.

Franklin is the best player in the comp. Hodge and Mitchell are stars. Rioli has enormous talent and a great highlights package. But a couple of great moments a game doesn't make you elite. Laughable that Hawthorn supporters put him on the same pedastal as Franklin, Hodge and Mitchell in terms of impacting games - it's actually insulting to those 3.

The only thing holding Rioli back is 3 hamstring tears.

Otherwise he'd be permanent midfield.

He's easily the best pure talent we have on the list.

Complete nonsense. He's in his 4th season now. Franklin's 4th season was 2008.

Rioli can do the freakish but 90% of football talent is the mundane task of getting the footy. And he doesn't do the mundane well enough or often enough.

I enjoy watching the guy play because he has great tricks but he is very overrated by Hawthorn supporters. Not in the league of Franklin, Hodge or Mitchell at this point.

When Buddy first started playing, I predicted that he would be one of the best players in the competition within five years. People laughed.

Rioli still has a lot of improvement in him. You make some fair points and it is true that some people do rate him on what he could become rather than what he is now, but don't mock too much or your words may come back to bite you.

Complete nonsense. He's in his 4th season now. Franklin's 4th season was 2008.

Rioli can do the freakish but 90% of football talent is the mundane task of getting the footy. And he doesn't do the mundane well enough or often enough.

I enjoy watching the guy play because he has great tricks but he is very overrated by Hawthorn supporters. Not in the league of Franklin, Hodge or Mitchell at this point.
In all honesty, he's not over-rated at all.

You might have the view that is backed up by those sitting in the stands each week, but it's certainly not how he is seen by those involved in the game.

Within 2 years of being on Hawthorns list he'd had 8 clubs enquire about him, and had been offered more than 500K/year from one club to join them.

If he's got Hawthorn fans fooled, then he's also got half the competitions clubs eating out of his hand as well.

In all honesty, he's not over-rated at all.

You might have the view that is backed up by those sitting in the stands each week, but it's certainly not how he is seen by those involved in the game.

Within 2 years of being on Hawthorns list he'd had 8 clubs enquire about him, and had been offered more than 500K/year from one club to join them.

If he's got Hawthorn fans fooled, then he's also got half the competitions clubs eating out of his hand as well.

This screams Essendon.

When Buddy first started playing, I predicted that he would be one of the best players in the competition within five years. People laughed.

Rioli still has a lot of improvement in him. You make some fair points and it is true that some people do rate him on what he could become rather than what he is now, but don't mock too much or your words may come back to bite you.

A broken clock is right twice a day....

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget Buddy and Cyril ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back