Forget Buddy and Cyril ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rofl.

Franklin is the best player in the comp. Hodge and Mitchell are stars. Rioli has enormous talent and a great highlights package. But a couple of great moments a game doesn't make you elite. Laughable that Hawthorn supporters put him on the same pedastal as Franklin, Hodge and Mitchell in terms of impacting games - it's actually insulting to those 3.

Year 1 - 2008 - 6th in Hawthorn's B&F
Year 2 - 2009 - 2nd in Hawthorn's B&F (was leading until he did his hamstring)
Year 3 - 2010 - 3rd in Hawthorn's B&F

So it doesn't really matter if you or any of the knobs on BigFooty thinks Cyril is overrated
The Hawthorn coaches obviously rate him highly and I reckon they are in a much better position to rate Rioli's performances for Hawthorn than you.

What would you know anyway?
How many games of ours do you actually watch?

Seriously, do you think you know more about Cyril Rioli and Hawthorn than Alistair Clarkson?

Huh?

If you can't think of anything better than that, why not remain silent. It's a dull, meaningless line.

Rioli is well behind the best small forwards in the league, and well behind four or possibly five midfielders at Hawthorn alone. You can huff and puff as much as you like, but thems the facts.

He is indeed more talented than average. Like about 50 other youngsters running around. And he's well behind a good number of them as well.

Rioli is a streaky, flashy player who had the good fortune to be part of a Premiership side at the beginning of his career. For both those reasons he attracts notice. If he played for North, or Port or any other low profile bottom 8 Club we'd never hear his name.

Short version ...... over rated.

Them's fighting words Abs, Mike Sheahan will have you on his hitlist personally.

Can't believe Mitchell isn't spoken of in the same breath as Franklin and Hodge to be honest. Very underrated footballer.

The people who don't rate Cyril are the same people that rate Brady Rawlings because he gets 30 possessions a game.

Lots of possessions does not equal quality.

The work Rioli does off the ball, combined with his ability break play open makes him elite. He won't always be the one kicking the goal, nor necessarily the one giving it to the guy kicking the goal, but his disposals generally end in a forward entry of meaning for Hawthorn.

The people who don't rate Cyril are the same people that rate Brady Rawlings because he gets 30 possessions a game.

Lots of possessions does not equal quality.

The work Rioli does off the ball, combined with his ability break play open makes him elite. He won't always be the one kicking the goal, nor necessarily the one giving it to the guy kicking the goal, but his disposals generally end in a forward entry of meaning for Hawthorn.

His probably the best player in the AFL without the ball, when near the ball. And I'm not talking about his awareness - as he has a lack of that, or how he runs the ground.

No player impacts the contest better than Rioli when he actually gets near the ball (which is not often mind you). But his ability to create a positive outcome when his near the ball is why he continually scores high in supercoach even if he doesn't get a lot of the ball.

The way his able to make up ground and pressure the opposition, and then if he wins the contest, the way he is able to create a positive outcome, is unparallelled.

If the ball is in dispute and his outnumbered 2-1 or 3-1, his the most likely player in the AFL to influence positively the contest for his team.

That's why he is rated so highly, has nothing to do with his highlights package. Because let's be truthful, the majority of arm chair supporters watch one game a week, maybe two, the majority of their assumptions are based on highlights packages. And the weekly stats guide.

Geez. In that case you'd expect him to at least be in the top 100 for Inside 50s....

Clutching at straws.

So it doesn't really matter if you or any of the knobs on BigFooty thinks Cyril is overrated
The Hawthorn coaches obviously rate him highly and I reckon they are in a much better position to rate Rioli's performances for Hawthorn than you.

What would you know anyway?
How many games of ours do you actually watch?

Seriously, do you think you know more about Cyril Rioli and Hawthorn than Alistair Clarkson?

Huh?

Year 1, premiership.
Year 2, didn't make the 8.
year 3, making up the numbers.

Fact is if Cyril is in your top 3 best players you're probably going to struggle to win enough games, goes missing for long periods and can be sloppy by foot, overrated.

So what you're actually saying is that Thyrill is over rated by Hawthorn people?

I agree.

All clubs have players who are highly rated within their club and underrated by the general public.

Who cares if a couple of Pies and Blues fans predictably try and turn this thread into a Cyril bash?

We at Hawthorn know his value, thats what matters.

All clubs have players who are highly rated within their club and underrated by the general public.

Who cares if a couple of Pies and Blues fans predictably try and turn this thread into a Cyril bash?

We at Hawthorn know his value, thats what matters.

Why not try to argue your case instead of resorting to denigration?

Have a crack at bolding those players below who you judge to be better than Rioli.

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Thomas Murphy
HB: Grant Birchall, Luke Hodge, Ben Stratton
C: Jordan Lewis, Sam Mitchell, Clinton Young
HF: Chance Bateman, Jarryd Roughead, Michael Osborne
F: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Brendan Whitecross
Foll: Brent Renouf, Brad Sewell, Shaun Burgoyne
I/C: Xavier Ellis, Rick Ladson, Liam Shiels, Wayde Skipper

I can see around 7.

Have a crack at bolding those players below who you judge to be better than Rioli.

I can see around 7.

I reckon Wayde Skipper.

I can see around 7.

Would be better to name only currently listed Hawthorn players. Based on contribution over the last few years there are 3 better than Cyril - Hodge, Franklin and Mitchell

I can see around 7.
People who cant see Cyrils brilliance never will...

So if you can see 7 players who are better from that hawthorn side, how many can you see from the carlton side who are running out on the weekend?

I can see 3.

FB: Duigan, Jamison, Tuohy
HB: Scotland, Thornton, Yarran
C: Carrazzo, Gibbs, Murphy
HF: Betts, Waite, Simpson
FF: Garlett, O'hAilpin, Walker
Foll: Hampson, Judd, Curnow
Int: Armfiled, Russell, Ellard, Robinson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^^^^

Squibbed it.

Why do you embark on a relentless campaign trying to berate and denigrate a 4th year player?

Whether or not he is overrated at this point in time is irrelevant. His upside is massive and his best football ahead of him.

Why do you embark on a relentless campaign trying to berate and denigrate a 4th year player?

Whether or not he is overrated at this point in time is irrelevant. His upside is massive and his best football ahead of him.

Lightweight spud of a poster who has never hit the mark in his entire existence on Big Footy.

I blame the parents.

I'd suggest the flipside of that comment is why do Hawthorn supporters go out of your way to sell a bog ordinary goal a game (and in 2011 0.5 goals a game) small forward who has the occasional trot in the guts as a superstar?

Stats aren't everything, but they do have their place. And statistically it is abundantly clear that Rioli is neither a gun forward or a gun midfielder.

At risk of repeating myself, until he is EITHER among the top small forwards in footy OR more than the fifth best mid at his Club alone, then he is not a star.

I'd suggest the flipside of that comment is why do Hawthorn supporters go out of your way to sell a bog ordinary goal a game (and in 2011 0.5 goals a game) small forward who has the occasional trot in the guts as a superstar?

Stats aren't everything, but they do have their place. And statistically it is abundantly clear that Rioli is neither a gun forward or a gun midfielder.

At risk of repeating myself, until he is EITHER among the top small forwards in footy OR more than the fifth best mid at his Club alone, then he is not a star.

Out of Yarran, Rioli, Betts & Garlett, who would be 1,2,3 & 4 in your opinion?

Cyril performing twice in 2 weeks? asking a bit of him aren't you. :D

Has had 3 good weeks in a row, coming off a hamstring.

Had two excellent weeks in a row at start of the year.

You guys are worried of him, it's obvious. I'd still be surprised we will win even with Rioli, Buddy, etc.. playing well.

Has had 3 good weeks in a row, coming off a hamstring.

Had two excellent weeks in a row at start of the year.

You guys are worried of him, it's obvious. I'd still be surprised we will win even with Rioli, Buddy, etc.. playing well.

Petrified...:rolleyes:

Headline in tomorrow's newspaper:

FORGET BUDDY... IT'S CYRIL!

Hey Chewy do you agree that Cyril is the best player in the competion?

I was talking about this with a couple of mates today and they agree he is top ten but not the best yet ...

What am I missing? There is not a single player in the AFL that can do what he does and not a single player in the competition that can beat him one on one? For me he is the best.

Hey Chewy do you agree that Cyril is the best player in the competion?

I was talking about this with a couple of mates today and they agree he is top ten but not the best yet ...

What am I missing? There is not a single player in the AFL that can do what he does and not a single player in the competition that can beat him one on one? For me he is the best.

Groan....pass the tissues over to him will ya?

Time to unsubscribe to what has become yet another Squark circle jerk over Cyril....

Delicioussssssssssssssssssssssssss

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget Buddy and Cyril ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back