Opinion Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakey as a forward or wing? Does no one remember how bad he was playing there before moving to half back. I know he had a stinker on Grand Final but he’s one of the best ball carriers in the league. No need to cut our nose to spite our face

I think what the Grand Final massacre showed us, is that this forward line will win sweet FA come the business end.

We desperately need a new forward line heading into round one, or we will have the exact same outcome this time next year (if we even get that far).

I would switch Blakey up forward ASAP. He played all his junior years there and yes, I get he's an AA half back, but the GF showed him up massively.

Put Mills back as a permanent defender, no midfield time at all, and sure up that shaky defence.

I would also trade Amartey/McLean and bring in a medium size forward who is actually mobile, can work up the ground and kick goals.

We have no dynamic forwards aside from Papley.

Look at Brisbane on the weekend, 78 points from their forward line to our measley 12 points from Papley/Hayward.

That makeshift forward line with Jordon/Parker needs re-jigging or we will have another disaster this time next year.

Thoughts?
Great call on Blakey. He could tear CHF apart

Based on what ?
Think he’d be a tough match up tho not sure if it’s a great move or not. He has the height, speed on the lead, long kick, usually accurate at goal. Also think he can bring the ball to ground if needed if up against a more physical defender.

Also, he won’t leak 6 goals in a grannie should we ever get there again.

More I think about it, why not ? If we change tack to more contested footy, won’t be betting the farm on slingshot/rebound.

Think he’d be a tough match up tho not sure if it’s a great move or not. He has the height, speed on the lead, long kick, usually accurate at goal. Also think he can bring the ball to ground if needed if up against a more physical defender.

Also, he won’t leak 6 goals in a grannie should we ever get there again.

More I think about it, why not ? If we change tack to more contested footy, won’t be betting the farm on slingshot/rebound.

Blakey was horrid forward though , but guess he may have improved

Blakey was horrid forward though , but guess he may have improved
That was a fair while ago and perhaps, after learning about being a defender would help develop his forward craft.
Not the worst idea and God knows, things need to change for us all over the park.

I think what the Grand Final massacre showed us, is that this forward line will win sweet FA come the business end.

We desperately need a new forward line heading into round one, or we will have the exact same outcome this time next year (if we even get that far).

I would switch Blakey up forward ASAP. He played all his junior years there and yes, I get he's an AA half back, but the GF showed him up massively.

Put Mills back as a permanent defender, no midfield time at all, and sure up that shaky defence.

I would also trade Amartey/McLean and bring in a medium size forward who is actually mobile, can work up the ground and kick goals.

We have no dynamic forwards aside from Papley.

Look at Brisbane on the weekend, 78 points from their forward line to our measley 12 points from Papley/Hayward.

That makeshift forward line with Jordon/Parker needs re-jigging or we will have another disaster this time next year.

Thoughts?

I disagree with most of this.

I don't think our forwards were the reason we lost the GF. I think our team defence was a much bigger problem. And to this end the issue with the forwards was less their lack of scoring and more the lack of pressure they applied. Caiden Cleary long term belongs in the midfield but in the short term make work well as a pressure forward. Wicks is great at applying pressure if a little inconsistent and hot-headed at times. Parker did a great job on Aliir but is not quick enough to apply pressure well but now he's leaving so no longer an issue. Konstanty was drafted in the first round to fill this exact role but hasn't come on in the way that we hoped.

I definitely don't think Blakey should return forward. He's been a revelation at half-back after a long time of experimenting to find a way to use his talents. He's a unique player that would be one of the first players oppositions would love to have in the role he's currently playing. Conversely, as a forward he didn't succeed and he's a mediocre set short (better on the run). His speed provides a lot more benefit running off half-back.

I'd love to have another "medium sized forward who is actually mobile, can work up the ground and kick goals". We already have one (Hayward). Unfortunately, they don't grow on trees. it's hard to target and trade in quality players this late in the cycle - you have to target them a way out. Whatever his faults, Stringer is a goalkicking medium sized forward (don't know about the working up the ground bit) and so I can see the appeal from that point of view.

Jordon is definitely not our problem. Has done really well this year and has looked great on the relatively few occasions he has taken shots at goal.

I think we should think hard about when the 3 tall set-up is working for us but finishing minor premiers and making the GF suggests it might be. Again, I don't think the GF was lost by our forwards.

You've got to win the ball to get it forward to start with and then kick to a Swans player.

We just spray away like a 9 year old at a urinal.

How many times Saturday in the first quarter especially did we drill a 50m kick straight down the gob of a Brissy defender standing on their own.

Horse and Co has struggled with a forward line set up that works for years. Time to get a forward to run the forward line.

Those were the days!

Horse actually is an All-Australian, Coleman-medal-winning forward. Not sure recruiting "a forward to run the forward line" is the key to solving the problems. I wish I knew what is.

gives me no pleasure to say that i thought parker with the three talls was an horrendous mistake. I've been saying for weeks that if parker plays it is at the expense of a tall not in addition to one. but my words have been wasted on this forum...

but there is a counter argument which i havent really been willing to grasp which goes to the lack of depth/trust ant horse has in the extended squad. what if they were the best forward options we had anyway ?

Still i cant help but to think that playing warner as the deepest man might have stretched brisbanes defence in a way which parker couldnt do.
Strongly agree. Parker had no legs left what so ever, and he essentially came in for a speedy player in Wicks.

Overall we've been quite poor since Parkers intrusion minus the prelim. And that's not a knock on Parker because he was always going to kick goals, but it definitely took away from how dynamic the forward was at the time in terms of the mix. It seemed like our scores felt more tiresome in the back end of the year.

The forward line didn’t lose us the GF, our mids were torn to shreds

Having said that, the 3 tall forward line is a throwback to the 80s and we need to go smaller and faster

Whether Longmire is capable of seeing that and making the change is highly questionable

Can’t shake the thought that for finals, Blakey would be better than any of the 3 talls. Fast, tall, long straight kick, competes in the air and can bring the ball to ground, apply forward tackling pressure.

Reckon he’d be the best forward we’ve got. All we have to sacrifice is the rebound game - which let’s face it won’t alone win a flag as the game becomes more contested in finals. An added bonus is he won’t leak goals (6) in defence.

This move alone could be the 10 goal turnaround in finals we need (assuming we put grunt in the middle of course)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t shake the thought that for finals, Blakey would be better than any of the 3 talls. Fast, tall, long straight kick, competes in the air and can bring the ball to ground, apply forward tackling pressure.

Reckon he’d be the best forward we’ve got. All we have to sacrifice is the rebound game - which let’s face it won’t alone win a flag as the game becomes more contested in finals. An added bonus is he won’t leak goals (6) in defence.

This move alone could be the 10 goal turnaround in finals we need (assuming we put grunt in the middle of course)
One hundred percent. We need to move Blakey forward. Yes, he's a great runner and we love his dash, but he gets exposed on the big grounds one on one.

Blakey as a forward or wing? Does no one remember how bad he was playing there before moving to half back. I know he had a stinker on Grand Final but he’s one of the best ball carriers in the league. No need to cut our nose to spite our face
#1 Swan for metres gained per disposal

He ain’t moving forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back