Four way Hay maker deal nearing completion! You heard it here first!

Remove this Banner Ad

vlad76 said:
This deal, as it was reported, simply doesn't make sense. Even if we were silly enough to give two first rounders for Hay (can't see how is more expensive than Thompson) why would Port Adelaide give pick 28 to Hawthorn?

Isn't Hawthorn getting too much as it is? In affect, Melbourne swaps Armstrong for Pickett in a straight swap from their point of view, yet Port apparently gives its own pick (28) away to Hawthorn, and this is supposedly the bit that clinches the deal. So Hawthorn was so unhappy with two first rounders that it had to drag Melbourne into it? Can't see why Port would give pick 28 away on top of Pickett.

It would make sense to give picks 14 and 28 for Motlop, but then why do you need Melbourne for?

There are plenty of holes in this, which suggests to me it is not a complete story. If it has some elements of truth to it, it must at least be incomplete.

#28 is Melbourne's pick not Port's. And the way it reads to make sense is Port are giving North #14 and #28 for Motlop, and North are trading both picks onto Hawthorn.

Rooboy 96 said:
to be honest I am sick of giving Hawthorn our early draft picks... especially bloody two of them in one year

so we get hay (went pick 39?) and pick22

and lose junior (went pick 8) and picks 13 and 29

just trade junior and keep our picks so we can have some fun with a few early picks for a change...

So much for bloody rebuilding - that is ******** - just wait for his bloody knees to give in - then we have got nothing and no new kids coming through!!!

Passmore said:
The way I read it, we are losing Motlop and pick 13 and 29 and gaining Hay and pick 22. Effectively we are losing a 1st rounder, a guy that doesn't want to be at our club and moving up 7 places in the second round. We are gaining a quality full back, and hopefully on trading pick 22 for the highly promising McConnell.

Do it. No problems with me.

And for all those saying Hawthorn are the big winners, lets wait and see how good these kids turn out. The perception seems to be that if you draft a heap of 17 and 18 yos, you will automatically be a superpower in 5 years. Hasn't happened yet.

As I see it, the only mistake that Laidley has made in regards to recruiting was passing on Davey. 14 other clubs were in the same boat.

Beautifully said.

Nevbuster prediction :

Carlton does a last minute deal to see Camp-a-relly go to Port Adelaide in a controversial deal that sees Elijah Ware to Carlton and the four way deal fall over when time runs out. Carlton picks up Motlop with their first selection, Hawthorn keeps Hay who announces retirement. Shannon Watt has an amazing pre-season and becomes all Australian full-back in 2006. The Kangaroos pick up a talented CHF with pick 13 and CHB with pick 29 who help take the NMFC to a premiership in 2007.

Just an addition to this thread, I have just been told Armstrong is not going to Port Adelaide at this point. No deal has been done as yet. So, that would obviously then affect the rest of the alleged deal.

It sounds to me like Hay is a bit over-priced in this deal, but then again the end price will be determined by demand (ie perceived value at the time). It seems our zeal to get him is inflating the price.

I don't think that the drafting of experienced players instead of using draft picks will necessarily continue in the coming years for those who are worried the recruiting policy of 2004 & 2005 will what we continue to do. Horses for courses.

I'm not opposed to the general idea of filling obvious holes in our structure with experienced players, especially if this year's draft isn't great. It makes me wonder if the 'fault' here then isn't really the poor recruiting of years gone by. Many of us were saying two years ago that filling KPPs in the backline with Colbert and Archer's departures would be key and we don't appear to have had replacements on our list.

Just as Thompson enabled us to play Brown permanently in the backline, Hay will allow us the option of not having to use Brown and Watt on the best forward, which 'everyone' has noted they can't do. Perry needs to be given a go, but he ain't gonna take the opposition's best forward in his first season, is he?

I'm more concerned about getting Jade Rawlings and hope to God that we are paying a fraction of his salary if this happens. I'd still like to see us get a decent aggressive attacking midfielder somewhere, somehow, sometime. :(

I hate whoever the hell does our recruiting. What the hell is our obsession with old guys from hawthorn who have a cloud over their future for whatever reason?

If this deal happens, :mad:

Go Roos

Port's recruiting manager said on radio today that the 4 way deal as touted in the media today will unlikely happen as reported as it is highly unlikely that Byron Pickett will not be a Port Adelaide player in 2006......So the foursome might need to become a threesome. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Four way Hay maker deal nearing completion! You heard it here first!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back