Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chill people. Loads of players put their respective contract discussions on hold until the end of the season. As long as Buddy remains PRIVATE about his offers, this wont turn into a Cloke-like debacle. As long as he remains firm in that he genuinely wants to discuss contracts after the 2013 season, the story and, subsequently the speculation will eventually die.

He must avoid the footy show at all costs in 2013. Don't give an inch.

I believe he will stay at the hawks.

I'm going to put a positive spin on this scenario & I'm interested in feedback.

What if putting negotiations on hold has nothing to do with leaving? What if it's Buddy's way of proving that he's worth $X before instead of signing now for $Y?

Example:

HFC: "Here you go mate, we've offered you $800k for 4 years."
Buddy: "Nah, I want $1m for 4."
HFC: "Mate, we don't think any player is worth $1m for 4."
Buddy: "Fine. Let's see what I'm worth about 5:00pm on the last Saturday in September..."

Buddy hasn't said he's leaving. I think he's just super-confident for 2013 & I think he believes that he's worth more; &, I think he wants the year to prove to HFC that he's worth what he thinks he is.

Worst case scenario: He gets a wake-up call & signs at season's end for his 'actual' market rate.
Best case: He kicks 120 goals & wins a Brownlow, a Flag & the Norm Smith & we pay him $1.2m for 5 yrs.

I really think that Buddy is just backing himself in & wants to show the club his true worth; & then be paid it.

Even before today I have always had questions about this cracker, I think he looks shifty.
What a stupid comment, Liam is the most respected player manager in the industry.
5 years 7 million dollars from Freo is the word, just gets back to whether he wants to live over there or here in Melbourne. As my club has recently seen with Goddard, unfortunately football is a job and unlike us supporters who barrack for free, these guys rely on this income for only a short window in their career.
At least you guys have this year to clear space and decide whether he is worth keeping, which he undoubtably is. Just think yourselves luck Pelchan is still not there, Buddy would be G.O.N.E

Good luck guys!

Chill people. Loads of players put their respective contract discussions on hold until the end of the season. As long as Buddy remains PRIVATE about his offers, this wont turn into a Cloke-like debacle. As long as he remains firm in that he genuinely wants to discuss contracts after the 2013 season, the story and, subsequently the speculation will eventually die.

Good points.

If Franklin wants to hold out for a bit more money or he's genuine in saying that he'd prefer to focus on his footy until the end of the year then that's fine, but he must refuse ALL media attempts to question him about his plans for next year. If he does give those vultures an inch on the subject (I can just imagine the clamoring for 'exclusive interviews') then this whole thing is quickly going to descend into a media circus which benefits THEM but takes our players' minds off their jobs.

Buddy has just opened a massive can of worms. Now he needs to go out of his way to minimalize the damage to the rest of the club.

When was the last time Buddy hadn't signed a new contract well before he came out of the last one? I'm not sure it has ever happened, so what's changed?

I really think that Buddy is just backing himself in & wants to show the club his true worth; & then be paid it.
This is certainly possible and I hope you're right, but generally players tend to put off contract negotiations because they're weighing up their options and casting their eyes abroad. Which doesn't necessarily mean that Buddy is already gone as some idiots from other clubs are already trumpeting, but it probably does mean he isn't as blindly loyal to the club as many of us hoped.

Realy folks , are you serious. If there is actual fact to this its Freo or WCE, why would he go anywhere else .
Point is now the crap is out in the open and no one will know whats going on even some team mates, so its Gary Ablett and Campbell Brown and all that I haven't decided crap ahead.
So the footy season becomes a circus a'la Cloke for us.

Mate you live here, why the hell would he come to either of those s**thead clubs?

This is certainly possible and I hope you're right, but generally players tend to put off contract negotiations because they're weighing up their options and casting their eyes abroad. Which doesn't necessarily mean that Buddy is already gone as some idiots from other clubs are already trumpeting, but it probably does mean he isn't as blindly loyal to the club as many of us hoped.

I agree, he is likely weighing up his options; those being whether to accept $900k from us or push for $1.2m from us. He basically can't lose because he can walk back to the table & sign any minute of any day for the next 9 months.

He still has a bloody good deal on the table with us & if he holds out until season's end, that will likely be $1m, just to get it done.

I can't see why this has to be a negative (him leaving), or that another club has to be involved.

Considering the age profile of our list leaning towards the geriatric, would we consider offloading Buddy to GWS for picks 1,2,3 & another promising youngster? I love the Bud, yet we don't seem to play a whole lot worse without him, and it may allow Roughy to blossom into the player he was always supposed to be. It also shores up our future in the finals for the long term.

Every cloud has a silver lining in football.

When was the last time Buddy hadn't signed a new contract well before he came out of the last one? I'm not sure it has ever happened, so what's changed?

If you we're a player of buddy's caliber, why wouldn't you test the waters?

All we can hope for is the Hawks to have a dominant season and a premiership - that should be enough for him to stay. It's not as though he is going to get once-in-a-lifetime offer from another club, like Tom Scully, as youd presume all his offers would be pretty awesome.

Other points - he owns a major sharehold in a fashion label and two stores all based in Melbourne. His family lives here now and he his best mates (other than the hawks gang) with the Melbourne rebels players. He will stay in Melbourne.

Other than the hawks of course, that leaves Carlton and Richmond in the running *vomit*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering the age profile of our list leaning towards the geriatric, would we consider offloading Buddy to GWS for picks 1,2,3 & another promising youngster? I love the Bud, yet we don't seem to play a whole lot worse without him, and it may allow Roughy to blossom into the player he was always supposed to be. It also shores up our future in the finals for the long term.

Wouldn't get that much and he wouldn't go there.

The best thing you can do right now is lock this thread and only reopen it if Buddy or Pickers say something significant on the subject.

It will do your heads in reading the ramblings of people supposedly in the know and trying to interpret Buddy's every move and body language.

Not a bad idea at all. For now, we need to vent. Perhaps mid week we can lock it up until there is something further to say on the matter.

I don't think GWS have those picks in the 2013 draft. And he would have to consent to go there.

Welcome to free agency - he picks the destination.

Personally, my view is let him go (if that is what he wants).
He is not the be all and end all. I don't struggle to think of life after Buddy, if that is the future then bring it on!

Get Roughy full time forward, give more responsibility to Gunston, Punky is ready to step up, and see if we can pick up (or develop) a 3rd tall forward who doesn't cost the earth.
No individual is worth destroying the balance of a club. If he wants to move on, fine, thanks and see you later!

He has a worth, and not one cent more... You don't destroy a club and a playing group for one player.
Several clubs took this approach over the free trade this year, Wellingham wants overs....see you later! who is available to fill that role? Oh look, Young from the Hawks could do that... Buddy is awesome when on song, but he isn't irreplaceable. You wont pick up a Buddy, but with the cap space you could possibly pick up 2 key players for our squad.

The club should make a fair and reasonable offer, take it or leave it, an offer that doesn't ransom Hawthorns future.
If he doesn't like it, stick him at Box Hill for the rest of the year and lets move on (I truly wish a club would actually DO this!! it would be quite a message!).

I'm a Hawks member, not a member of the Buddy club.

Like having him in the Brown and Gold but if it is to end then let it end ASAP.

I have been saying similar things, the box hill thing is probably going too far. It should not a distraction if you choose it not to be. Like the idea of Roughead as our full forward and Gunston as other tall. Rioli / Bruest as great small forwards.

How much then do you think we would get for the game's biggest star?

Most you could hope for from trade would be similar to the Judd deal. picks 3, 22 and a young developing Kennedy.

Very few teams have picks this good and fewer are prepared to trade that much for anyone. Of the teams that are prepared Franklin may not even consider them suitable for his needs.

Trading Franklin wasn't an option, noone trades players that good if they have a choice and are pushing for a flag. Hawthorn made the only choice they could make last year and anything can happen between now and the end of the year. He may even sign by halfway through the season and shock everyone.

I'm going to put a positive spin on this scenario & I'm interested in feedback.

What if putting negotiations on hold has nothing to do with leaving? What if it's Buddy's way of proving that he's worth $X before instead of signing now for $Y?

Example:

HFC: "Here you go mate, we've offered you $800k for 4 years."
Buddy: "Nah, I want $1m for 4."
HFC: "Mate, we don't think any player is worth $1m for 4."
Buddy: "Fine. Let's see what I'm worth about 5:00pm on the last Saturday in September..."

Buddy hasn't said he's leaving. I think he's just super-confident for 2013 & I think he believes that he's worth more; &, I think he wants the year to prove to HFC that he's worth what he thinks he is.

Worst case scenario: He gets a wake-up call & signs at season's end for his 'actual' market rate.
Best case: He kicks 120 goals & wins a Brownlow, a Flag & the Norm Smith & we pay him $1.2m for 5 yrs.

This post isn't getting enough love imo. This positive frame of mind speculation is just as valid as any other form. Ride the bumps with a grin people. If he eventually goes he goes, but at the moment he's here and all that's been said is that he wants to post pone negotiations until the end of the season. He's still Hawthorn at least until the end of the season so let's get behind him with some support rather than cursing him.

I knew there was a reason as to why the club picked up a Key Pos FWD with their first pick in the 2012 Draft. Maybe the club don't see this as a surprise?

The thing that frustrates me is that Franklin would not be half the player he is today if he hadn't of ended up at Hawthorn. Being a Wild child he prob would have gone off the rials if he didn't have all the protection and support which he has received at Hawthorn. We have invested so much time and effort into him and yet going into a season where we are a huge chance of picking up our 11th Premiership he is more focused about himself then the team.

The club is bigger then any one player. If we lose him it won't be the end of the world. I hope we don't pay overs as our ranking/pay system has worked a treat recently and has been one of the main reasons why we have been able to pick up players from other clubs to fill holes over the last few years and is why we have been so successful. If we lose him we so what remember.....

All you need is Rough!!!!!

Get ready for a season of unbelievable frustration Hawks fans.

A year where you seriously consider murdering several footy media journos and discover that everyone on Big Footy has knows someone very close to Buddy who has told them he is a monty to be leaving at the end of the year.

However, Dale Thomas' contract ends after this season and there'll no doubt be speculation until he re-signs that he'll be going to Carlton to reunite with his 'dad' Malthouse next year, so that should take some heat of you guys.

God, I don't want to see him leave.

I don't care if we get the first 3 picks in return (not that we will, thanks to FA).

Buddy is more than just a player. He is the BEST player. He's the most valuable, he's the best to watch, with the best highlight reel and the most consistently amazing performances. He will go down in history as one of the greats and I just hope that is as a Hawthorn great.

I don't want to even contemplate losing that and I don't think I'm quite ready to go over the 'if he does leave' scenarios just yet.

You can call him greedy or slag him or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that he is an absolutely astoundingly good footballer. We aren't 'better off without him' no matter what.

This is how I feel, I'm shattered hearing this news, I honestly never even considered him leaving, I thought it was inevitable that he would sign.

Now honestly it looks likely that he is gone, so many sources saying he wants to go home but I think he is using that excuse to make hm look better, he doesn't just wanna go home, he wants the 1.5-1.9m a season or so that freo can offer him, shattering news for this season and from here on. No player has ever come close to the manlove I have for Buddy. He is by far the most exciting player I've ever got to watch and I love how we get to watch him every week and see what he can do that no other player can.

I'm still hopeful but that may be because I'm still in denial that he actually has told the club he doesn't wanna talk until the end of the year.

If I see him playing for another club next year, they will instantly turn into my most hated club but I don't know if I can hate Buddy, I'll probably just curl up shaking and crying and downing as much alcohol as possible :p

But in all seriousness....f*ck!

I will not be getting any photos of Buddy with my kids at this year's family day.

He has pulled a serious dog act here. Just because he is electric once every 6 weeks, he has become a marketing extravaganza and so thinks he should be getting more than anyone. If he wants to go to WA, then go now.

In actual fact he is not that good. He averages 3-4 goals a game. So what. At crucial times, you do not expect him to kick straight and he is not great overhead.

He has already lost us one grand final with his pathetic goal kicking (and still we kick to him all the time). He should pull his head in and sign or leave. We play well without him. Last year our conversion was much better without him and our scores were bigger.

The instability he has knowingly created by this, which will go all year long, is extraordinarily selfish. That's what I find to be the worst. He can go and get stuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back