Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
mark my words right here, buddy will sign with the hawks but its most likely going to cost us the flag this year with all the speculation builds ups closer to finals time.... If Buddy's performance this year is below average then he can F*** off, he did this to himself with his greed... There are no excuses to drag out a contract talk if you love your club and is happy with the pay put forward to you.. Dragging it on is plain and simple " I WANT MORE MORE MORE" heck buddy and as much as i would hate to see him go but anything over 1 .1 mil a season is a waste..... The benefits of what we could secure and free up salary space would be massive...

Just think what Roughy would do as our number 1 forward instead of being in buddy's shadow.

Im sorry im just fuming of how a player we build a club around does this... he has it all here..... greed of money does this to people...

Agree 100%

Summed it up perfectly!!

As I've posted above, I hope you guys keep Buddy. But, in the meantime, on a lighter note...

92086752_773403403_400x300.jpg

uk-0415-159689-front.jpg

tumblr_majv67cxaV1qkjiqo.jpg

All_The_Things.jpg

denial.gif

tumblr_mabg1uHJoL1rzycvpo1_500.png

$T2eC16JHJGkE9no8gIpmBQO9wyWLew~~60_35.JPG

Itiswhatitis.jpg

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

keep-calm-and-carry-on.png

moving-on-quotes-08.jpg

Take it with a grain of salt of course...

But Robinson just interviewed on SEN said that Pickering told him it was Franklin who pulled the pin on talks.

That can't be good.....

That may or may not be the case. Wouldn't believe anything Pickering says.

If Buddy doesn't want to stay for what appears to be a reasonable deal then I don't want to see Hawthorn pay him over the odds just to keep him. Like others have said, as great as he is, we have to think of the team as a whole. I also don't think he'll cope too well with a year of specualtion, if his form drops off will he still be as valuable/marketable at the end of the year? Postponing the talks might backfire on him.

Another thing that occured to me is this. The Cloke thing was unbearable and big news because it was the first time, maybe now that we've had this situation once media, clubs, fans will be over it and it might not be such a big deal afterall.

Rather awkward situation. As mentioned above, list also has to be managed. What do you guys think will be the hawks decision if a club offers 1.5m? Do you match it and risk the list or let him go?
I'd say that would depend on how Buddy performs this year and weather or not we are able to take home the flag. If we are good enough (and lucky enough) to win the premiership it could change how the club chooses to look at things.

It amazing how on SEN Buddy is no longer a supposed Party Boy, Shit kick for goal or on Strike 4637264351.
Everyone wants him now because "The Hawks Premiership window is closed".
Even Carltank supports ringing up saying he sees our window closing this year and theirs just opening. Buddy moving to FB, CHB and FF? Wow, he is a freak!

:)

Shameful decision on Buddy's part, either announce your intentions to leave otherwise sign the contract and let us go into the season full steam ahead with no distractions. Awful decision to announce this, it's either the money issue or he's leaving but regardless the biggest loser in all of it will be the club and our 2013 season.

Poor effort Buddy :thumbsdown:

It amazing how on SEN Buddy is no longer a supposed Party Boy, Shit kick for goal or on Strike 4637264351.
Everyone wants him now because "The Hawks Premiership window is closed".
Even Carltank supports ringing up saying he sees our window closing this year and theirs just opening. Buddy moving to FB, CHB and FF? Wow, he is a freak!

:)

Yeah, I noticed that too ;)

Excuse my ignorance but as a restricted free agent does it not mean that if we match any offers he still stays a Hawk?

Or am I completely wrong on this?

Wrong, if you dont match it he leaves but if you match it he can stay, be traded or enter one of the drafts

Highly Doubtful he will leave his family is in Melbourne along with basically everything else important in his life including his business and 4Mil over 4 years is an outstanding offer bit bewildering to postphone talks and put intense scrutiny on him and the club all year.

That may or may not be the case. Wouldn't believe anything Pickering says.

If Buddy doesn't want to stay for what appears to be a reasonable deal then I don't want to see Hawthorn pay him over the odds just to keep him. Like others have said, as great as he is, we have to think of the team as a whole.

I agree. No player, not even Franklin is bigger than the club. Well maybe things work differently at other clubs but that's how its always been at Hawthorn.

Even a true champion of the game like Brereton wasn't able to hold the club to ransom and in the end we let him go. I'd like to hope that the situation would be no different with Franklin. This might sound harsh but consider that great players come and go... the club is forever. Giving Franklin an exorbitant amount would only breed resentment among the other players because really where do you draw the line - is Franklin really worth twice or even triple what Sam Mitchell gets? Not in my book he isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Both the Club and its members must be prepared to acknowledge this situation is part of a new football landscape under free agency."

This quote is probably the most disturbing thing. Sounds like we know he's leaving.

I wish people would give the man a little more credit.
I think he will stay. He has repeatedly said he loves it Hawthorn and wants to be a one club player. But, he is well within his rights to entertain all offers as this will most likely be the biggest deal he gets in his career and he deserves to maximise it. The Hawks will come to the party too as they know the value he gives our club. Just sucks that there will be all the speculation in the meantime but thats the environment we are in ATM. My tip, Buddy to re-sign on approx 1mil per season the week after winning his second premiership and first norm smith.
If you stress too much about it now based on rumour and innuendo you will do your head in by the end of the year. What happens will happen, start stressing about it if and when the time comes that he says he is leaving.

If the offer is $1m over 4 years, I reckon that's a strong offer considering that they proved that they were still very competitive when Buddy was out for 6 weeks last year. It also showed that we had not built a team around him and we actually played more free-flowing footy, rather than always trying to find a way to kick it to Buddy.
I thought that when he came back, we lost that edge and momentum going into the finals.

Still, Buddy is Buddy and he adds even more value off the field.

Nevertheless, if he and manager don't think that this is a fair deal, then that's their opinion - although I reckon Liam Pickering is being the greedy prick out of the two and is the one telling Buddy to hold off.

"Both the Club and its members must be prepared to acknowledge this situation is part of a new football landscape under free agency."

This quote is probably the most disturbing thing. Sounds like we know he's leaving.

Think you might be reading too much into that. I just see it as clubs need to be prepared that players entering free agency are entitled to entertain all offers presented to them.

Take it with a grain of salt of course...

But Robinson just interviewed on SEN said that Pickering told him it was Franklin who pulled the pin on talks.

That can't be good.....

Sorry to intrude, but if another club had offered him something surely it would be done through Pickering. I find it odd that he seems to be putting this onto Buddy as if its all news to him. Anyways hope he stays with the Hawks and this doesn't becoming the ongoing saga of 2013.

So it's agreed he's leaving, if the team has to prepare for life next year without the big Bud we start now and he spends the season at BoxHill eating pies.

Or eating humble pies ;)

If you stress too much about it now based on rumour and innuendo you will do your head in by the end of the year. What happens will happen, start stressing about it if and when the time comes that he says he is leaving.

I agree with this. I'm not going to be held to emotional ransom over this for the whole season. Want him to stay but if he goes, so be it. Hawthorn will continue on and there will be new champs, no one is indispensible.

I wish people would give the man a little more credit.
I think he will stay. He has repeatedly said he loves it Hawthorn and wants to be a one club player. But, he is well within his rights to entertain all offers as this will most likely be the biggest deal he gets in his career and he deserves to maximise it. The Hawks will come to the party too as they know the value he gives our club. Just sucks that there will be all the speculation in the meantime but thats the environment we are in ATM. My tip, Buddy to re-sign on approx 1mil per season the week after winning his second premiership and first norm smith.

Agree with most of this. He'll be 27 next year and the next 3-4 years after that will be his last chance to make big money from the game. He has to put himself and his family first. If I were him I would baulk at 4mil over 4 years, we should be offering 5.5m - 6m over this time. As for speculation I haven't picked up a HS or listened to a footy talkback since GF day , I might keep it that way.

I think he'll stay and hope he does but if he happens to move on, the world will keep on spinning and the Hawthorn Football Club will continue to play footy. It's just disappointing as it makes it tough for the club from a list management point of view to close deals with other players during the year without knowing what Buddy is going to do and how much we'd have to pay to keep him.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere else for non Hawks supporters to have their say?

Because he wasn't happy with the offer.

Other clubs + Pickers have told him he's worth almost double than what we offered him.

When Hawthorn make him an offer he feels is suitable, he will put pen to paper.

It could just be in the timing. Hodge and Mitchell are on good money contracts due to finish at the end of the year I believe. He may just want what he is worth in terms of player value at the club now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back