Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing Ablett won Geelong a premiership.

Hard to comprehend a silver lining at the time but it was the best thing that happened.

Paying huge money for a money hungry pig whilst other top tier players take pay cuts causes nothing but division among the playing group and you cannot win flags with that. If he really is chasing the dollars then you're better off without him imo. Paying him overs (if that's possible) means other good players will inventively be squeezed out. Geelong almost certainly would have lost a gun player or two if Ablett stayed and as it turned out despite being arguably the best in the comp, we really didn't miss him. Others stood up, or maybe just jumped out of the shadows.

Exactly how I feel. This is a massive distraction for us now and has just harpooned our season. Even if he stays now, bye bye 2013 chances and welcome to a circus.

Hawthorn was around before Buddy Franklin, it will be around after him. I really hope he stays, but the decision to prostitute himself has certainly killed a fair amount of man love for the big fella. He has caused the distraction!

AFL is just like European football now, zero loyalty either way. Fact Rafa!

I hope this isn't a case of Franklin's management trying to get the most they can out of Hawthorn. If Lance wants to resign he should look at what is being offered, if he doesn't like something tell the club what it is, if he does like it tell his management.

Get this out of the way so we can concerntrate on playing football this year. This is an issue that won't go away because you say you want it to. As long as there are reporters around they will be asking the question. Even if they don't get an answer, they will want to see if it effects his game. They want a story, and if it isn't what he is doing next year it will be is it effecting him this year. We don't want to look back in a few years time and say if only we payed more attention to the football than these contact issues. These issues do effect the player and the club. Instead of questions about how the team went last week and what will happen next week they will be answering questions of will he stay or will he go.

Lance has talked in the past about being a Hawk for life, please show us that you mean it. He also talked about one day being club captain. Show your leadership skills and get this situation sorted before round one so we don't have 22 weeks of will be stay or will he go. We were ten points away from a premiership last year, we don't need things like this distracting the team this year. There is one thing that we want this year, we were so close last year but close enough isn't good enough. This year is about winning enough games to finish first or second after the home and away season, then winning through to the Grand Final and then winning our 11th premiership.

This is what 2013 is going to be about.

Keep you heads, Hawk posters. Don't get sucked in on the main board. It's just the Internet.

Its humorous how much excitement there is on the MB. If he goes it won't destroy Hawthorn

Its humorous how much excitement there is on the MB. If he goes it won't destroy Hawthorn

They're excited because Hawks supporters have a well earned reputation for taking the bait laid out for them.

Yeap and 3 weeks before Clinton Young dogged us he told the media he needed to "Repay the faith".

Talk is cheap.

I never heard the full story of the Clinton Young saga. However, I think he was in the Collingwood camp before it was official. He was saying he was staying, Collingwood was saying they were finished with talks. It looked like he was staying, then just before the close of free agency talks he joins Collingwood. We don't need someone like this at Hawthorn.

I hold Lance Franklin in high regards, I wanted him at Hawthorn since we could get him. No matter what you say about putting off contract talks until the end of the season, there will be reporters wanting to find a story no matter what it is. The story I would like to give them is Lance has signed a new contract. If there are problems with these third party deals like with Chris Judd, sign a one year contract extension and stop the media talking and come back to the issue at the end of the year. We only want to be talking about one thing this year, that is football success.

They're excited because Hawks supporters have a well earned reputation for taking the bait laid out for them.

It is more that we know what the media will make of this. Just look at Travis Cloke last year. The media talks about his contract effected him. We don't want the same thing to happen again.

We are favourites to win the premiership this year, we don't need this side show as a distraction. We have to pay attention to the football and not the negotations.

Exactly how I feel. This is a massive distraction for us now and has just harpooned our season. Even if he stays now, bye bye 2013 chances and welcome to a circus.

Hawthorn was around before Buddy Franklin, it will be around after him. I really hope he stays, but the decision to prostitute himself has certainly killed a fair amount of man love for the big fella. He has caused the distraction!

AFL is just like European football now, zero loyalty either way. Fact Rafa!

I was saying that all last year, once you start earning more than $750K a year, the team becomes unbalanced, others miss out, etc. Let's face it, Lance cannot play in midfield and if they cannot get it lance, forget about your $1M+ dollar man. Let's see, we still have a pretty decent fwd line, Roughead, Rioli, Bruest, Hale, Gunston. Who are the emerging gun midfielders. If we lose Mitchell, we are in a bit of strife.

It is more that we know what the media will make of this. Just look at Travis Cloke last year. The media talks about his contract effected him. We don't want the same thing to happen again.

We are favourites to win the premiership this year, we don't need this side show as a distraction. We have to pay attention to the football and not the negotations.

It's going to happen; the distraction exists.

It's all one big scam orchestrated by the club and Franklin...

They make it appear as though Buddy might seriously want out at the end of the season so as to force any interested clubs into holding off or offering unders on their own player renegotiations. Thus creating ill feelings for those players towards their clubs. Then come the free agency period Buddy fields all the big offers from all the interested clubs and satisfies his ego and curiosity in knowing them whilst letting on to each club that he is interested in signing with them. Meanwhile the Hawks recruiting department are offering some nice deals to some disgruntled free agents at those clubs who will not have their offers matched as their old clubs are under the impression that Buddy is ready to sign with them. Then in the final days of the free agency period, after the time period to put forward the matched offer to restricted free agents has elapsed, Buddy re-signs with the Hawks for unders on a 5 year deal. Content that that wage in addition to all the extra money he makes in 3rd party deals, merchandising, external business interests and wise investments is more than enough to see him live like a king for the rest of his life. With all the quality players picked up in that free agency period the Hawks are then set for years to come allowing Buddy to continue to dominate in a top 4 team, winning Coleman's, Norm Smith's and premiership medals over that 5 year period.

Yep, just one big scam. Sorry if I let the proverbial cat out of the bag HFC ;)

In my opinion.........he is GONE !

Bring on 2014, because 2013 just became another lost year :(

I don't post very often. I am posting this not to create more uncertainty but more to request some clarity from the Hawthorn insiders connected to Big Footy. I'm sure you guys know who you are.

I received a message today from a mate of mine connected with a Melbourne Football Club. He is a friend of Neville Stibbard, who is supposedly best friends with Liam Pickering. This was received well before the article in the HS came out.

Buddy has apparently told the Hawks he wants out at the end of the year, either to the Eagles or God forbid the Pies, supposedly Eddie has massive plans for him.

I queried him and asked him several questions as to why? How? etc

After arguing with him for 20 mins, we were getting no where, he signed off with, 'don't forget I told you first'.
I heard something very similar to this 2-3 weeks ago from my brother who said he had 'seen a text message' and thought to myself 'don't believe it, no way will he leave the Hawks'
Now this comes out I am thinking there is some truth to what I he said.

I hope this isn't a case of Franklin's management trying to get the most they can out of Hawthorn. If Lance wants to resign he should look at what is being offered, if he doesn't like something tell the club what it is, if he does like it tell his management.
What do you reckon the Hawks would offer him in terms of a new deal?

Four years, worth 900K annually? That would put him through to the end of 2017, when he'd be a few months off turning 31. Does anyone reckon you could offer him more than that?

If Franklin gets an offer from elsewhere for $1.3 million a year over a similar term, he probably has to take it, doesn't he? Or something like $6m over five years?

Maybe, over the course of this year, Hawthorn find some extra cash and Franklin isn't as out of pocket by staying.

I'm not trying to stir the pot. I would prefer Franklin stayed at Hawthorn. Equally, I thought Ablett should have stayed at Geelong.

Tough break for Hawks fans. That's more to do with the indecision because I reckon there's still some chance of him staying. I'm not trying to patronise. Cloke stayed. I reckon Franklin still might.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's going to happen; the distraction exists.

Pickering loves this sort of stuff, it makes him relevant. And with the bare face lies he told about Ablett, it's only going to stoke the media fires worse.
Did Buddy think this would just go away? Is he that silly that he doesn't realise every punter, little kid and media dick will be harassing him, his old man and manager at every game and training session? Every Clarko press conference will be about Buddy's form, body language, the progression of a deal or the % of a likely decision either way. It will be a circus.

Was there more to his 6 weeks and stomach bug?

Thank goodness my child is born in July, guess the Franklin first name just went from first to off the list!

There is now way Franklin is leaving hawthorn.

He just wants to eek a few extra dollars and feel a bit more love from his club.And as much as players deny reading papers,they love seeing their name in it(barring scandals).

Mrs thinks it might be about years or leadership?

Hope she's right and we just give him the 5 years. Don't want to lose a player to massage his ego though.

Do you see our fans turning on him as the Pies fans did to Cloke last year. As the year progresses how will we react to him at each game, what if he has a standout year? Will we just be subdued?? We need a Chris Grant 20 cent in a letter kid, although with inflation, it may have to be about $1.2Mill to cover it off.

Excitement machine Yes
Consistent No
The be all and end all of the club No

It really wouldn't bother me if he was to leave we have covered him before and played well.
The AFL compo would, it may be fairer if there was no compo for anyone.

Am I still filthy about the Grand Final Yes
You've got to be kidding me?! How many young kids are out there with 23 on there back? How exciting is it to go to the footy to watch the big fella? He brings members, new supporters and gives us cachet and excitement. It's not all about premierships as far as i'm concerned, its about excitement, building our club, being excited about going to the footy and Buddy brings all of this to Hawthorn. He is enormous for us and those responsible have to move heaven and earth to keep him, and if that means offloading one or two players or pay cuts across the board then so be it. Offer him 1.5m a year for 5 years. I can't believe some of the comments on here!

Please Big Fella don't go!

The worst thing that could happen is that he leaves and frees up cap space for the Hawks to gain two very good players.

You will still be a good side with 2-3 years left in your window and very capable of winning the flag.

I'm surprised Buddy would open himself up to the sort of speculation he will receive all season now, especially as he seems like a fairly media shy guy. He will have cameras shoved in his face at every training session, asking him the same questions over and over. Every time a teammate appears in a panel show, they'll be asked the same thing. Trust me - 2010 was hell with all the Ablett speculation.

For what it's worth, I am 99% sure that Franklin will stay a Hawk but if he is holding our for more money, the Hawks will have to make some tough calls. When we were in talks with Ablett and it still appeared he may stay, Costa and Cook both said that to keep him, we would have had to trade one or even two premiership players to make salary cap room. It's not a pleasant situation for any club to be in - am sure Collingwood supporters can back me up and they ended up keeping their man.

It's horrible that the expansion clubs and free agency are killing loyalty in this sport. Ablett, Scully and Goddard were all on the record saying they wanted to be one club players but when money called, all three took off. Sad to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back