Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some maths, forgive me if this has been done already.

Total Player Payments for 2013 are $9130000 and 95% of this must be paid. That is $8673500 leaving only $456500 of TPP remaining if a club is only paying 95%.

So if a club wants Buddy it must free up close enough to $600000 from their cap and again that is if they only pay 95%. How is that possible without shedding at least one or two highly paid players? Swans must be near a TPP +10% with Tipped on board, Budd couldn't go there.

That has most teams covered except the GC and GWS both have much bigger caps but still have to pay 95% so they would also have to clear alot of money from the books to fit Lance in.

If someone wants him they must have an older player(s) on a back ended contract about to leave. That would need to be very heavily back ended because there are concessions for older players payments that mean it doesn't all count in the TPP.

I don't know how any club, including us, can afford to fork out the sort of money being talked about, it really does highlight how some really miss out to keep the very special around. It also helps explain why blokes who have been loyal but not special will head off to greener pastures when they become free agents, Murphy, Gillham, Young.
I think there's a bit of merit to this. One other thing it doesn't consider though is the effect of front loading existing contracts. For instance Fremantle could be heavily front loading some of the contracts to use up the 95% leaving large amounts of cap space for a contract to Buddy.

Having said that I'm not too worried about him leaving anymore for some reason. (Not because I'm happy for him to go but because I don't feel he will leave)

Some maths, forgive me if this has been done already.

Total Player Payments for 2013 are $9130000 and 95% of this must be paid. That is $8673500 leaving only $456500 of TPP remaining if a club is only paying 95%.

So if a club wants Buddy it must free up close enough to $600000 from their cap and again that is if they only pay 95%. How is that possible without shedding at least one or two highly paid players? Swans must be near a TPP +10% with Tipped on board, Budd couldn't go there.
No .

You have forgotten clubs have retirements, players becoming veterans, others coming off front loaded salaries or they can trade players.

That has most teams covered except the GC and GWS both have much bigger caps but still have to pay 95% so they would also have to clear alot of money from the books to fit Lance in.
No see above

If someone wants him they must have an older player(s) on a back ended contract about to leave. That would need to be very heavily back ended because there are concessions for older players payments that mean it doesn't all count in the TPP.
You should accept there's some clubs that could fit him in or perhaps the afl could just make him an ambassador :rolleyes: to provide an added inducement.

I don't know how any club, including us, can afford to fork out the sort of money being talked about, it really does highlight how some really miss out to keep the very special around. It also helps explain why blokes who have been loyal but not special will head off to greener pastures when they become free agents, Murphy, Gillham, Young.
Think you are being very unfair to some very good & loyal HFC players here who really owe us nothing.

Buddy may be a different situation.

The only thing that i'm worried about is that Buddy's contract negotiations will impact every other player who's out of contract at the end of the year like Mitchell and Hodge which have shown nothing but loyalty for the hawthorn club, and to be told that they have to take a pay cut or wait till the end of the season because we as a club are giving Buddy's contract first preference, will with out a doubt effect them as we all know how much they have given on and off the field through their leadership for our team.....This type of players to train & perform at their peak and to put their bodies through the pain they need to feel like valuable member of the club and know were they stand as they got a family and future to worry about also....This situation at the hawks well and truly has the potential to ruin their premiership chances.

It may have the potential to. But it hasnt yet. I don't think you are giving the players enough credit. I think they are more than capable of getting on with the job at hand and if they can't then they are mentally soft and wouldn't have won the flag anyway. I reckon Sucko's knee will have more effects on our premiership chances than Buddy's contract.
The club is getting on with the job as evidenced by Jordan Lewis re-signing today. Don't let it bug you too much.....or you will be a wreck by the end of the year!!

No .

You have forgotten clubs have retirements, players becoming veterans, others coming off front loaded salaries or they can trade players.

No see above

You should accept there's some clubs that could fit him in or perhaps the afl could just make him an ambassador :rolleyes: to provide an added inducement.

Think you are being very unfair to some very good & loyal HFC players here who really owe us nothing
Buddy may be a different situation.

I think you are assuming I am critical of those named. They are of course three bloke who may well have been great servants of the club, but I recon they would be earning more now than they could at the Hawks, because we have players taking more money, I am sure there are others we could add, the crux of my last paragraph.

Re retirements, are not old bastard's salary only partly included in the cap? So you don't clear quite so much when they go, yeah? Yes some do free up funds when they go onto the veterans list to counter this.

Yes front ended contracts would free up funds, but didn't I say that if they want Budd they might have to lose someone?

I accept clubs could have money, but I also expect it will cost them players, one way or another, do you?

Andrew Newbold on SEN today hinted that our offer to Bud is very respectable for this " once in a generation player"
Also said his management agreed it was a very good offer
KB believes our offer is final, something Newbold seemed to agree without saying yes
Newbold said they are in constant discussion with Bud, but the ball is in his court and its up to him to decide where he will be next year
Said Bud knows Hawthorn is a great club to be at
No doubt we will hear this type of answer all year till a decision is made

I still think he is staying. Every story about him has come out of nowhere. All this bullshit about the AFL propping him up as an ambasador was hatched from a hypothetical question put to Andrew Demetriou who answered it as truthfully as he could while being put on the spot. It sounded to me like he hadn't even considered it before the question was put to him. I think Hawthorn should approach the AFL and ask if they would offer the same deal if he stays at Hawthorn. Its all media speculation and bulldust and if you conitnue to let it get to you it will be a long and frustrating year. Just take it as it comes and if he decides to go deal with it then. If he stays then happy days! I will only go off what the big fella says, as he has a track record of taking less money and staying loyal. If he goes I know it will be purely a decision to secure his future financially. We have one of the most entertaining guys to have ever played the game in our side right now. Just enjoy the show.
Of course it was all bulldust, but he still hasn't signed and I would prefer him to leave at the end of the year but having told the club and his team mates his fans his members that he is going. Then we can expect him to put all his effort into a successful year 2013 no media circus.. And say goodbye hoping to take a flag out with him.

Those saying clubs will make space through retirements and resignations are forgetting the rising stare who will demand more money and bigger contracts. Tempted to say I think he will say, but if he decides to go (even change codes, which I have felt all along has been in his mind) the I will still follow the Hawks. We have seen some great players change clubs over the years, and still life goes on.

I think you are assuming I am critical of those named. They are of course three bloke who may well have been great servants of the club, but I recon they would be earning more now than they could at the Hawks, because we have players taking more money, I am sure there are others we could add, the crux of my last paragraph.
Re -read & poor assumption by me!

Re retirements, are not old bastard's salary only partly included in the cap? So you don't clear quite so much when they go, yeah? Yes some do free up funds when they go onto the veterans list to counter this.

Yes front ended contracts would free up funds, but didn't I say that if they want Budd they might have to lose someone?
I just suggested how a club could be in a position to consider him without shedding 1 or 2 players as you posted.

I accept clubs could have money, but I also expect it will cost them players, one way or another, do you?
Not always - Swans / tippett / lockett - case in point.

Need to remember who writes the rules here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since Buddy wants to walk, Clarko should run him into the ground.

No rotations. No medical-attention beyond what is 100% necessary for him to play week-to-week.

No leniency.

No rotations. No medical-attention beyond what is 100% necessary for him to play week-to-week.

No leniency.

Hook him up to a plough and get him to do laps of the Waverley carpark too?

No leniency.

Leaving contract talks until the end of season doesn't mean he WANTS out.
And even if that were true, running him into the ground and withholding medical attention would only penalise and disadvantage us more.. What a stupid statement!!

Reading through this thread makes me thankful some posters aren't in charge of negotiations at the club. Anytime a player held out they would be considered dead to the club, not wanted, and should just leave straight away.

I'm sure if any of us were the best in our chosen field of work, at our peak earning ability, that we would see what the landscape was in terms of other offers from other employers. Sure, we love where we work, given it's success driven and high achieving nature, and you love the people you work with, but you would be remiss not to at least test out what's around.

If you can honestly say that if you were in the same situation, knowing full well that your earning capacity is limited to a period of time of the next 5 years, I think you would be at least looking at what other people are offering.

No leniency.

I hope you're getting your proper "medical-attention" !

:thumbsu:

No leniency.
That is absurd, what a dumb post... is there a dislike button?

Wow can't believe this has reached 49 pages !
You guys should be more worried about this season, instead of next. Rd 1 is upon us.
If he leaves, he wont leave tomorrow..

You guys should be more worried about this season, instead of next. Rd 1 is upon us.
We already know that, but as this is a thread about Buds contract negotiations, we chat about it here
Round 1 and the whole AFL season has other threads :thumbsu:

Fortunately for the HFC, what we worry about here will have zero impact on the club's on-field fortunes.
They dodged a bullet on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back