Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he does leave it could possibly be not the worse thing for you guys, for a brief period last year when buddy wasn't playing you guys were more open in the forward line and were less predictable.

Plus we still managed to do well after Ablett and snared two good kids, so there's always hope if he does leave.

*no red card please no troll
Okay sorry mate, but I saw your post on the Cats board and it was completely different.

2013 Free Agency List guesstimate
2006 onwards

Adelaide:

Scott Thompson - restricted
Graham Johncock - likely to retire
Ben Rutten - unrestricted free agent
Brent Reilly - unrestricted
Nathan van Berlo - restricted free agent
Richard Douglas - unresticted probably?
Jason Porplyzia - depends on length of contract signed at end of last season.
Bernie Vince - restricted probably?

Brisbane:

Joel Patfull - unrestricted
Daniel Merrett - unrestricted

Carlton:

Andrew Carrazzo - unrestricted I'd assume
Eddie Betts - restricted

Collingwood:

Nick Maxwell - unrestricted
Alan Didak - likely to retire
Dale Thomas - restricted
Alan Toovey - do rookie years count? If so - unrestricted

Essendon:

Jobe Watson - restricted
Jason Winderlich - unrestricted
David Hille - likely to retire
Courtney Dempsey - unrestricted

Fremantle:
Michael Johnson - unrestricted

Geelong:
Tom Lonergan - unrestricted
Joel Corey - likely to retire
Matthew Stokes - unrestricted
Travis Varcoe - unrestricted

Hawthorn:
Lance Franklin - restricted
Luke Hodge - restricted
Sam Mitchell - restricted
Jordan Lewis - potentially unrestricted
Xavier Ellis - unrestricted

Melbourne:
Colin Sylvia - restricted
Clint Bartram - could still be delisted
Aaron Davey - unrestricted

North Melbourne:
Drew Petrie - unrestricted
Daniel Wells - unrestricted
Aaron Edwards - could still be delisted

Port Adelaide:
Kane Cornes - unrestricted
Alipate Carlile - uncertain of contract status?
Matt Thomas - could still be delisted
Tom Logan - could still be delisted

Richmond:
Chris Newman - unrestricted/likely to retire
Shane Tuck - unrestricted/likely to retire
Daniel Jackson - unrestricted
Matthew White - unrestricted

St Kilda:
Stephen Milne - likely to retire/unrestricted
Jason Gram - unrestricted
Nick Dal Santo - restricted
Nick Riewoldt - restricted

Sydney:
Lewis Roberts-Thomson - unrestricted
Adam Goodes - unrestricted
Ted Richards - unrestricted
Nick Malceski - status uncertain
Heath Grundy - unrestricted

West Coast:
Sam Butler - unrestricted
Beau Waters - potentially restricted
Adam Selwood - unrestricted
Dean Cox - unrestricted
Andrew Embley - likely to retire
Matt Priddis - restricted

Western Bulldogs:
Dale Morris - unrestricted
Matthew Boyd - restricted
Adam Cooney - restricted
Daniel Cross - unrestricted
Daniel Giansiracusa - likely to retire
Robert Murphy - likely to retire
Tom Williams - status unknown

*(obtained off AFL forum site)

If Buddy leaves we can take our pick of the players above .. ;)

Drew Petrie ?

Yep.

I'm very confused when I see posters suggesting Hawthorn will fall into the abyss if Franklin leaves. The team is bigger then the individual.

Your structure makes a big sacrifice to accommodate Franklin's style of play and a few others would definitely have greater impact with more opportunity.

What is Franklin on now? $800K? If so, the Hawks could turn that money in to another one or two very serviceable players.

Roughead certainly has the capability to be a 60-70 goal focal point and Gunston will kick more goals with more opportunity. As far as the scoreboard is concerned, it could make very little difference. As another poster mentioned, the bigger impact will be in marketing.

Who knows, the Hawks may even take the opportunity to refresh the list by engaging in further trades and picking up a swathe of picks?

2013 Free Agency List guesstimate

Drew Petrie ?

I very much doubt it. This from last week:

222-game veteran Drew Petrie says he's determined to be a Roo for life despite being off contract at the end of the year and a free agent.

The vice-captain is not even worried about testing the open market.

''I don't think there is any value in me pursuing anything else away from North Melbourne,'' he told The Age's Jon Pierik.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-01-27/petrie-to-resist-temptation

This brings back horrible memories of the Cloke mega thread on our board. Pickering will use offers from other clubs to get the best deal he can for Buddy, probably another 5 year deal like Cloke. In the end he will sign, the man is a one club player. Stick with him Hawks fans.

Back onto the poor us theories. I can just smell the deals being cooked up at AFL house. Third party deals to put under Franko's nose to get him to an expansion club. Love it Vlad.

If Buddy leaves we can take our pick of the players above .. ;)

And de-value our FA compensation... no thanks.

If the AFL comes out and says 'no more compensation' then yes, expect HFC to do an epic raid!

Back onto the poor us theories. I can just smell the deals being cooked up at AFL house. Third party deals to put under Franko's nose to get him to an expansion club. Love it Vlad.

That is what is interesting to me. The clubs that are trying to get him would be looking at premierships in that period he would be there. They would be then pushing into what many suggest is the GC and GWS window, while the common perception is that we will fall away when they start to contend. I wouldn't put it beyond the AFL to reject those third party deals just to make sure the expansion clubs have a little less competition for a premiership. They did it with Ablett, they allowed Carlton the Judd deal when they were terrible to boost them up

And de-value our FA compensation... no thanks.

If the AFL comes out and says 'no more compensation' then yes, expect HFC to do an epic raid!

If we finish top 4 we would only get a pick in the late teens anyway. Nothing to really get excited about, would rather try and get a quality player

I really doubt Bud would choose Perth over Melbourne. For a guy like Buddy, Melbourne is a lot more .. Entertaining.

I reckon he's gone though. I don't think he's ever been out of contract since being at the club, so why would he start now?

We need to seriously find him a bigger third party deal.

So shit for the club.

If he stays, good on him.. no doubt he has squeezed the club for more $ than the contract presented to him today and will probably force a depth player off the list. (Cloke 2012).

If he goes then the club is left in a difficult position to suitably maintain the strength of the list in 2014. The uncertainty of "will he stay, will he go" significantly reduces the club's bargaining power throughout the season to snare replacement player/s through free agency if he leaves. (Tippet 2012).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we finish top 4 we would only get a pick in the late teens anyway. Nothing to really get excited about, would rather try and get a quality player

Yes good point. Pick 16ish or something like that.

Projecting forward, I wonder what Membership ramifications this will have with the rank and file members?

Dropping 5k members equates so something like $1mill dollars (I know this has no relevance on the salary cap).

I've seen a couple of times GC mentioned. There appears to be some misconception there.

He won't end up at GC for similar reasons that Tippett didn't. We could only offer Tippett 600k or so, given that so much of our money is either being spent or reserved to re-sign our young stars. Getting Buddy would completely undermine everything the club has said and how they have acted in the past. GWS are in a similar position.

For that reason I cannot see the expansion clubs getting involved really.

I have a soft spot for Hawks, and hope Franky re-signs for you guys. Would be surprised if he didn't, to be honest.

Firstly, Pickering wants Buddy to sign now, this is a Buddy driven change to any earlier direction. People potting Pickering about this are wrong, agree he has a vested interest but his constant recommendation to Buddy has been to accept what is already an exceptional offer from the Hawks. The question would be then what's changed. He is a bloke who hates media attention. This will stick the footy world frenzied media right on his doorstep until October FFS. It's actually a good tactic by the Club to release this IMO. yet it's an odd move to make for a bloke to put himself in this situation, one he despises so read into that what you wish.

Secondly the comments here about Buddy telling HFC that he is out and wants to go to Club X as reiterated via txt messages read here there and everywhere - that content is nothing but utter bulltish.

Thirdly, and this is an opinion only, understanding it's one thing to leave a club for money, but you don't leave HFC to go to a club that isn't having or about to have success. The safe option is to stay at our Club. There would be only a couple of Clubs who could meet the success factor and the financial aspect. We get to match any offer as he is a restricted free agent, and if we do he MUST sign with us. That's comforting yet do you keep a bloke who seeks another deal from elsewhere? Clinton Young pfft....Buddy, he is the most marketable commodity the AFL has ever had, so you turn over every rock to keep him.l

Finally to be clear, if he was to leave compensation from the AFL would be a pick at the end of the 1st round, not negotiable...so don't go think there is some windfall there i.e. Geelong - Ablett and multiple picks.

Well I'd just prefer he either said he's staying or going straight out Considering everyone has observed the circus that surrounded Geelong in 2010 and Collingwood in 2012, I'd say Buddy is fully aware that his decision to suspend contract negotiations can destabilise a club that is in a premiership window That a player would do anything that could impact so badly on his club's premiership chances (when that club is favourite for the flag) says a lot about them I spent all of last year thinking what an idiot Travis Cloke was, risking a good contract offer, when you are only one serious injury away from all those offers being revised downwards

Excuse my ignorance but as a restricted free agent does it not mean that if we match any offers he still stays a Hawk?

Or am I completely wrong on this?

What a bummer, love or hate Buddy he is a superstar of the game and this is going to cause a media frenzy all year..annoying the hell out of all footy fans not just Hawthorn people. I hope it doesn't affect the Hawks, but it probably will..recent history has shown that. Good Luck I hope he stays, nobody who truly loves footy enjoys this sort of impending media circus distracting from the season.

tuning into SEN to hear Pickers take now.

The question would be then what's changed. He is a bloke who hates media attention. This will stick the footy world frenzied media right on his doorstep until October FFS. It's actually a good tactic by the Club to release this IMO. yet it's an odd move to make for a bloke to put himself in this situation, one he despises so read into that what you wish.

The list has changed ;)

Your structure makes a big sacrifice to accommodate Franklin's style of play and a few others would definitely have greater impact with more opportunity.

What is Franklin on now? $800K? If so, the Hawks could turn that money in to another one or two very serviceable players.

Roughead certainly has the capability to be a 60-70 goal focal point and Gunston will kick more goals with more opportunity. As far as the scoreboard is concerned, it could make very little difference. As another poster mentioned, the bigger impact will be in marketing.

Who knows, the Hawks may even take the opportunity to refresh the list by engaging in further trades and picking up a swathe of picks?

That spare money that will be left over will be for Josh Kennedy to come back home! :p

Yes good point. Pick 16ish or something like that.

Projecting forward, I wonder what Membership ramifications this will have with the rank and file members?

Dropping 5k members equates so something like $1mill dollars (I know this has no relevance on the salary cap).

Not just the memberships sales but also the crowd attendances could suffer as a result of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back