Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warming up my vocal cords already

We want you to stay,
we want you to stayyyyy,
Lance Franklin,
we want you to stay

Why are we sooo shit at holding on to players all of a sudden.. We didn't need this after the Grand final heartache!!
To be fair, I don't think we went all out to keep Young considering Hill and co coming through.

Buddy, meh. Doesn't want to stay? Go then.

Oh joy. The biggest distraction possible in what I think is our most critical year post 2008. Whilst I can understand why players take the highest paying offer, I wish they would refrain from the 'one team man' bollocks. As much pain it would cause fans, it would be slightly refreshing if a player actually admitted that financial considerations took top priority. I don't think fans will turn on him to the extent pies fans did on Cloke, but the god like status he has amongst club fans is definitely diminished.

I don't think he'll leave, but I do find it a bit of a concern that the club feel they have had to put out a statement.
Reading between the lines (And I know I shouldn't) the club stating that Lance has every right to proceed this way, to me reads, the club is extremely pissed that he hasn't accepted their offer.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2013-02-02/lance-franklin-statement

Unfortunately saying that he wants to just concentrate on his football is pointless, because until it is put to bed, it is not only distracting to him, but also to the team.

This is just going to be a massive thorn in the side of the club all year...

Interesting. Pickering addressed two informal lunches I was at last year. "It'll happen'', 'Not going anywhere', 'Over Summer' etc.

The team is bigger than the individual.

The same Pickering that said Ablett only decided to leave after sitting on a GC beach one morning after the season was done? The bloke is FOS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never heard the full story of the Clinton Young saga. However, I think he was in the Collingwood camp before it was official. He was saying he was staying, Collingwood was saying they were finished with talks. It looked like he was staying, then just before the close of free agency talks he joins Collingwood. We don't need someone like this at Hawthorn.
Better get rid of Gunston then

I never heard the full story of the Clinton Young saga. However, I think he was in the Collingwood camp before it was official. He was saying he was staying, Collingwood was saying they were finished with talks. It looked like he was staying, then just before the close of free agency talks he joins Collingwood. We don't need someone like this at Hawthorn.

Collingwood told Clinton what he wanted to hear. That's what Collingwood do.

Just to let you all know, I've decided to put all discussion about Buddy's contract off until the end of the year. I really just want to focus on 2013 and not be distracted by other issues. I've decided to let my wife deal with it so please refer any questions to her. At this stage I'm really happy being a Hawks supporter and I'm completely focused on 2013....
I'd like to thank you all for your support at this time..

Onfield we will cope, having buddy is a luxury and im sure we can cover him.

Off field will be a massive hit. Membership, exposure, sponsorship and young kids supporting Hawthorn because of Buddy. That is where it will be felt.

Unfortuantely, that is the footy of today. I miss the good ole days, Dunstall one out in forward line, lead up, chest mark and kick a goal. One club player as well.

Still, wont stop me loving the mighty fighting.

I asked him the same question. This was his reply.

Jolly Maxwell O'Brien Didak retiring, there's a $1,000,000 there.

I'm just as upset as everyone else mate. I'm not making this up for nothing.

O'Brien's 26, he won't retire, and Maxwell probably won't either. Jolly, Johnson and Didak- but Pendles and others looking for new contracts in the next few years, there is zero chance Buddy will come to Collingwood.

O'Brien's 26, he won't retire, and Maxwell probably won't either. Jolly, Johnson and Didak- but Pendles and others looking for new contracts in the next few years, there is zero chance Buddy will come to Collingwood.

+1

And Thomas is going to re-sign for less coin to no doubt!

I'm waiting for Buddy to somehow to fit into Sydney's cap in 2014 :)

The letter from Fox on the club website does have an air of inevitability about it (with a small dose of disappointment and maybe anger). 2 months of negotiations and then this must mean he is getting big offers elsewhere that we can't match. This is no surprise because of where our list is and I think it was always going to be a matter of Buddy staying for less than what other clubs could offer. This is more like the Ablett saga rather than Cloke because of Buddy's earning potential.

Personally, I am now reserved to the fact that he will move on at the end of the year.

Disappointed with this news but I am confident that club and players can deal with it. Still optimistic that we can go all the way this year.

If he does leave it could possibly be not the worse thing for you guys, for a brief period last year when buddy wasn't playing you guys were more open in the forward line and were less predictable.

Plus we still managed to do well after Ablett and snared two good kids, so there's always hope if he does leave.

*no red card please no troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back