Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is Buddy deserves to be the highest paid player in the game. He also has the option to get an offer from another club that we can match to keep him, this will ensure we he gets the best possible deal for himself and puts a huge strain on our cap (clubs will no doubt make false offers for buddy in a bid to squeeze hawthorn into low balling a young future star with promises of longer contract more money and opportunity) This could destroy the playing list not to mention the media distraction.
In terms of compensation we will no doubt get screwed, his true value is picks 1,2,something in the mid 20's and a young player who has shown real potential at AFL level. We will not doubt be given something rubbish like a pick in the late teens.
His value is maybe 5000 neutral supporters to every home game
Perhaps the afl see this translating to 10000 for GWS

And we could continue to top up with role players while buddy being there is an attraction

Should have traded him when we had the chance. Now we get nothing.

Even knowing early, we could attempt to woo another out of contract player. Thumbs firmly up our arses

The thing is Buddy deserves to be the highest paid player in the game. He also has the option to get an offer from another club that we can match to keep him, this will ensure we he gets the best possible deal for himself and puts a huge strain on our cap (clubs will no doubt make false offers for buddy in a bid to squeeze hawthorn into low balling a young future star with promises of longer contract more money and opportunity) This could destroy the playing list not to mention the media distraction.
In terms of compensation we will no doubt get screwed, his true value is picks 1,2,something in the mid 20's and a young player who has shown real potential at AFL level. We will not doubt be given something rubbish like a pick in the late teens.

Maybe we wont qualify for a pick at all if we also go shopping

When is ablett out of contract ?

The same Pickering that said Ablett only decided to leave after sitting on a GC beach one morning after the season was done? The bloke is FOS.

I agree, wouldn't trust Pickering as far as I could throw him. My heart sunk when I realised he was Buddy's agent. Hate agents overall, they are leeches just there for their own interests, don't have the player's interests at heart and Pickering is the worst of them all. Wouldn't be surprised if he is the one behind this despite what he says, the guy has zero credibility as far as I am concerned. Spends all his time giving interviews, and then saying he can't comment, loves the attention, and I can't stand the way SEN and other media suck up to him.

Disappointed in this because of the distraction factor. Want Buddy to stay but if he wants to go, fine, good luck to him. Just sort it out now. The Cloke thing had a negative impact on Collingwood and I wouldn't like to see the same thing at Hawthorn.

Regarding who would have the cap space well you can rule out the Swans and Collingwood.:cool:

Freo obviously would and the Eagles could as well but it would take the retirements of Glass approx ($600k) + Embely ($400k) and Nicoski ($350k). Cox retiring in a year or two will also free up cap space mid contract.

There would also be a host of other clubs who have the space and would simply retire / move on some high paid 30 year olds.

Look what happened with Cloke though, the Pies didn't offer what he wanted so he stalled, when they offered what he thought was fair he re-signed. Buddy will do the same IMO.

Buddy is nothing more then a greedy lad who wants to hold it off so hawthorn can increase his contract at years end....

The offer we gave him is very very good and if he sells his soul to another club for an extra 2-300 k over 4 years then he can get f***.. Im sick of these players who clubs have been so loyal treat the club like this when a good genuine offer is on the table. " I AM HAWTHORN " ...... Buddy wants to hold of talks but there is so much negative's in doing so.... His performance will be average or below par cause of the speculation week in week out..

He puts everyone of us supporters on basic life support until he decides what he want to do..... The thought of losing buddy would kill me!!!!

Keep you heads, Hawk posters. Don't get sucked in on the main board. It's just the Internet.
/end Internet's "just the Internet" announcement. :p

But seriously, hope he resigns with you guys. Hate free agency and how it exacerbates the financial factor in the equation, diminishing the relative value of loyalty to team and club. (I hate to think what it would have meant in the 90s with Carey and our financial capacity at the time.)

They really need to tighten up the third party deals situation; it's making a mockery of the salary cap.

Maybe the Club offered him a certain amount of money because it had to think about some of our young players who's contracts expire in the coming years and the Club wants to make sure that there is money left in the cap to re sign the other players who they feel will be part of our next premiership. The Club has to think about it's entire playing list, not just Franklin.

God, I don't want to see him leave.

I don't care if we get the first 3 picks in return (not that we will, thanks to FA).

Buddy is more than just a player. He is the BEST player. He's the most valuable, he's the best to watch, with the best highlight reel and the most consistently amazing performances. He will go down in history as one of the greats and I just hope that is as a Hawthorn great.

I don't want to even contemplate losing that and I don't think I'm quite ready to go over the 'if he does leave' scenarios just yet.

You can call him greedy or slag him or whatever, it doesn't change the fact that he is an absolutely astoundingly good footballer. We aren't 'better off without him' no matter what.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather awkward situation. As mentioned above, list also has to be managed. What do you guys think will be the hawks decision if a club offers 1.5m? Do you match it and risk the list or let him go?
Depends who we could recruit with he money freed up

Could come out of it ahead in list strength at least

Buddy is nothing more then a greedy lad who wants to hold it off so hawthorn can increase his contract at years end....

The offer we gave him is very very good and if he sells his soul to another club for an extra 2-300 k over 4 years then he can get f***.. Im sick of these players who clubs have been so loyal treat the club like this when a good genuine offer is on the table. " I AM HAWTHORN " ...... Buddy wants to hold of talks but there is so much negative's in doing so.... His performance will be average or below par cause of the speculation week in week out..

He puts everyone of us supporters on basic life support until he decides what he want to do..... The thought of losing buddy would kill me!!!!

Pretty much hit the nail on the head right there, the whole thing stinks of greed, everyone has seen first hand what these situations bring with regards to the Cloke situation and also Goddard to a certain extent, it creates a black cloud over the club for the whole season which the club nor players have any control over, the thought of losing buddy sickens me but the thought of this effecting the team to the extent that it potentially costs us a flag sickens me more, if Buddy wants out he should just say it, not drag it out, I'm so f**king steamed atm

mark my words right here, buddy will sign with the hawks but its most likely going to cost us the flag this year with all the speculation builds ups closer to finals time.... If Buddy's performance this year is below average then he can F*** off, he did this to himself with his greed... There are no excuses to drag out a contract talk if you love your club and is happy with the pay put forward to you.. Dragging it on is plain and simple " I WANT MORE MORE MORE" heck buddy and as much as i would hate to see him go but anything over 1 .1 mil a season is a waste..... The benefits of what we could secure and free up salary space would be massive...

Just think what Roughy would do as our number 1 forward instead of being in buddy's shadow.

Im sorry im just fuming of how a player we build a club around does this... he has it all here..... greed of money does this to people...

What a shit result.

Someone is in his ear. Maybe a change of codes even??!!!

I agree, and feel someone has been into his ear. I believe, if he were to go to another club our biggest losses would be in membership and club finances. We showede last year we could win without him.
Hmm, another code interested, now that would be interesting.

Take it with a grain of salt of course...

But Robinson just interviewed on SEN said that Pickering told him it was Franklin who pulled the pin on talks.

That can't be good.....

mark my words right here, buddy will sign with the hawks but its most likely going to cost us the flag this year with all the speculation builds ups closer to finals time.... If Buddy's performance this year is below average then he can F*** off, he did this to himself with his greed... There are no excuses to drag out a contract talk if you love your club and is happy with the pay put forward to you.. Dragging it on is plain and simple " I WANT MORE MORE MORE" heck buddy and as much as i would hate to see him go but anything over 1 .1 mil a season is a waste..... The benefits of what we could secure and free up salary space would be massive...

Just think what Roughy would do as our number 1 forward instead of being in buddy's shadow.

Im sorry im just fuming of how a player we build a club around does this... he has it all here..... greed of money does this to people...

Deep breath mate or you're not going to even make it to March.

Take it with a grain of salt of course...

But Robinson just interviewed on SEN said that Pickering told him it was Franklin who pulled the pin on talks.

That can't be good.....

So robbo actually strung a sentence together ?

He was bad last year but hes come back this year practically unintelligible

If he had a head for tv hed need subtitles

Maybe hes been researching the drug scene !!

I'm surprised Buddy would open himself up to the sort of speculation he will receive all season now, especially as he seems like a fairly media shy guy. He will have cameras shoved in his face at every training session, asking him the same questions over and over. Every time a teammate appears in a panel show, they'll be asked the same thing. Trust me - 2010 was hell with all the Ablett speculation.

For what it's worth, I am 99% sure that Franklin will stay a Hawk but if he is holding our for more money, the Hawks will have to make some tough calls. When we were in talks with Ablett and it still appeared he may stay, Costa and Cook both said that to keep him, we would have had to trade one or even two premiership players to make salary cap room. It's not a pleasant situation for any club to be in - am sure Collingwood supporters can back me up and they ended up keeping their man.

It's horrible that the expansion clubs and free agency are killing loyalty in this sport. Ablett, Scully and Goddard were all on the record saying they wanted to be one club players but when money called, all three took off. Sad to see...

It's not expansion clubs and free agency that are killing loyalty in this sport; it's greed.

Like you, I find it hard to believe that Franklin is up for a media scorching every week for an entire season. Who knows; maybe Pickering wants the scrutiny for his client; it would certainly force him to become a more engaged media performer.

This is just a horrible development and a real threat to our premiership campaign. I take heart in the very real possibility that Dunstall and Clarkson are as ticked off about it as many of us appear to be and are the sort of men who could convince Buddy to do the right by a team and an organisation that's always done the right thing by him.

I agree, and feel someone has been into his ear. I believe, if he were to go to another club our biggest losses would be in membership and club finances. We showede last year we could win without him.
Hmm, another code interested, now that would be interesting.

If a romour like that got around, it might force someones hand

Jus sying, im not encouraging people to circulate false rumoys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back