Free Agency & AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 28, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC & Chelsea FC
With the upcoming free agency options & Sando keen to take a dip. What would Adelaide be looking for.
An experienced defender maybe - looks like J.Rivers might want a move home

Do we need J Rivers? Would he be in our top 22? Is he better than Talia?

I think that a free agent is unlikely to sign a deal where he's in the best 22 at the original club, and not in the best 22 at his destination club.

It's sad to say, but I find it hard to see where we'd get a free agent that would improve our side. We have a lot of good to very good players (and some burgeoning elites!). Pretty much we'd have to get utter guns, or players that are fringe 22 and are happy to remain so in their new place.

Do we need J Rivers? Would he be in our top 22? Is he better than Talia?

I think that a free agent is unlikely to sign a deal where he's in the best 22 at the original club, and not in the best 22 at his destination club.

It's sad to say, but I find it hard to see where we'd get a free agent that would improve our side. We have a lot of good to very good players (and some burgeoning elites!). Pretty much we'd have to get utter guns, or players that are fringe 22 and are happy to remain so in their new place.

I agree with your observation but we are light on in defence should we be down a key player such as truck or talia. An experienced defender as backup would be an asset.

Rivers would be a handy pick-up to add some much needed depth to the backline, but at what cost to the salary cap would he be.

A quick small defender would be useful.

Free Agency could give us an opportunity to balance up the squad for positions, but to gain someone, we will probably need to give someone up too (eg. Knights).

How many of these threads have we already had this season?

Geeez.... Rivers? Patfull? .... are we a retirement home?

I would rather keep Luke Thompson and Will Young

We dont need very fringe players, plenty of them in the SANFL,WAFL,VFL.

Geeez.... Rivers? Patfull? .... are we a retirement home?

I would rather keep Luke Thompson and Will Young

We dont need very fringe players, plenty of them in the SANFL,WAFL,VFL.
Patfull would hardly be a fringe player. Still got 4 - 5 years left which would be our premiership window.

Patfull is a reasonable player... Id like to keep developing the players we have though...

Steve Johnson the only one I'd want, but no chance of getting him. If only Sando and Milburn could find a way to get him. Actually think we'd be able to find the cap space for him as being in the Geelong model if we matched his pay would could offer the same as he is on currently. At 29 he'd only be around for about 3-4 years but I'd love to see it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo in the market for Goddard when Cloke signs for the magpies according to TFS. Nearly a million a year is the offer allegedly.
Lol Freo.

I'm surprised they didn't give Zac Dawson $1mil p.a., seems like they're willing to offer just about anyone else that sum.

I reckon this whole free agency thing is a storm in a teacup.

How many free agents, who are best 22 at their own club, are actually going to want to leave? Basically none I reckon.

Any why would we want to pick up anyone who wasn't best 22?

But thats Lyons aversion to players under 25 playing in his starting 22 if he can help it.
It's taken a hangover from last year's injury crisis and a horrible list of older 'talent' for Lyon to 'play the kids'. Neale, Crichton, Sheridan, Crozier, Spurr have all played at some point. Playing Jay Van Berlo and last year's pick 71 (Cam Sutcliffe) reeks of desperation a little though.

I reckon this whole free agency thing is a storm in a teacup.

How many free agents, who are best 22 at their own club, are actually going to want to leave? Basically none I reckon.
I agree, unless a Goddard or Cloke moves (which I think is unlikely), I think it will take a couple of years before anything happens in free agency (eg. when expansion club compensation picks, draft concessions and general shitness are no longer factor). I think the rules slacken after a few years too, widening the scope of player eligible for FA.
Any why would we want to pick up anyone who wasn't best 22?
Maybe someone a little hard done by like Jordan Russell, but then he wouldn't walk into our 22 by any means.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency & AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back