Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Who Is Responsible For Our Current Officialdom Issues?

• Bad or Biased Umpiring

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • The League Officials

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Our Discipline

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Our Team Playing For Freekicks But Get Ignored

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Our Brown Paper Bag Is Not As Big Versus The Other Clubs

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Poor Coaching And Strategy

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Jack Watts Hair Cut

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember seeing this when it was published and was shocked, but then when you consider we won more games than any other football club for seven seasons of that span (2001-07) with Football Park an absolute graveyard for certain opponents regardless (Melbourne, WCE, Essendon, St Kilda), you’d think the numbers would skew north almost by default.
Here you go Free kicks by team, season, home and away, finals and shows W-D-L in those games by frees (not match result) all the way back to 1965. Should never doubt AFL Tables have most stats covered some where

At AO we just break even most years, this year in the negative so far, but crows usually have 30% more frees for than against at AO.

This is the main page for team and individual stats links.

You've probably got to see a few games live in WA to understand why this is. The crowds here are utterly obsessed with umpiring. They boo and jeer every opposition free kick no matter how legitimate. They call for every conceivable free kick under the sun and get angry when they aren't paid. The rage builds and builds and the crowd gets louder and louder until the umpires relent and start kissing them on the dicks for the remainder of the game. Butters throwing his head back killed us on the weekend for this reason - it gave the crowd something to be enraged about and it turned the umpiring. West Coast are worse but it has infected Freo's crowd too.

The overarching problem is the greyness of the rules. There's so many potential free kicks, so many potential interpretations. It's just impossible. That's why Richo's noise of affirmation is a great call. The noise just wears down the umpires and convinces them that they've seen a free kick where otherwise they might call play on.

When you see the response by soft flog Nicholls to a bit of heckling this observation becomes a lot more compelling

We have Leigh Fisher and Brett Rosebury and 2 guys that arent even listed in their own umpires list on the AFLUA website on Saturday night

Expect another reaming
Count your blessings it's not DeBoy

Next time I'll put my house on the opposition.

We have Leigh Fisher and Brett Rosebury and 2 guys that arent even listed in their own umpires list on the AFLUA website on Saturday night

Expect another reaming
As if the umpiring will make a difference this week. Though it'd be ironic if we get reamed this week and Ken calls out the umpires to deflect from his poor selections and coaching. There'd be a collective :drunk: here.

I still believe this is mostly due to three things:
1. The Perth factor. People don't talk enough about how shocking the umpiring against West coast this year was because we won - I think there was one point where Robbie handballed the ball along the line, keeping it in, it went out off a West coast player, yet Robbie still got called for deliberate. Every team knows when you play in Perth, particularly against WCE, you have a different set of rules.
2. The fact we never stand up for ourselves. The post game "we're gonna talk to the umps to clarify" strategy works time and time again. Everyone (just about) does it except us.
3. The fact we don't have any "big names" on our list. If you look at guys like dangerflog and duckwood, not only are they constantly complaining, but even before that the umpires go out there knowing them and trying to make them happy. It's why they consistently get the benefit of the doubt.

I don't buy in to the conspiracy, our numbers aren't that bad, but these things add up.

Watch the last 10 minutes of Fitzroy vs crows. The afl do have form. They have rigged games before.
The afl wanted fitzroy out... and ****ed them at every turn. Sad read on the fitzroy thread about what went down.

Brisbane/fitzroy wasnt a merger... it was a take over.

Watched the last 10mins of that game not that long ago... agree with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freekick Port...Or Lack Of

Back