Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

They should go and watch tapes of Stringer. Half a sniff and he's all over it. Nothing will get between him and the goals. It's why I reckon Sonny out is hurting us more than we like to admit (and losing Schultz). They WANT to take the responsibility.
I said a few weeks ago that Serong is our only natural goal kicker and he showed it again yesterday. Frederick should be dropped on recent performances. Had a good game against WC but fairly invisible otherwise.

I also think that as shit as Tabs was subbing him off was a mistake. It gave the cats an extra tall in defence and in a game where we basically bombed it in all day it just played into their hands. At least he was a big body they had to man up.

For the second week in a row, we made a sub for the sake of making the sub. There was no need to sub Erasmus last week either, but pre-game plan and all…

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yesterday was a pretty good window into how the year mightve looked if Treacy hadn't exploded.

Pre season it was hard to see how we'd improve too much on last year (or generally) until we found some a grade talent forward of centre.

Without Treacy, we looked like big chunks of last year in terms of ball movement and gamestyle.

Flat result, but we just didnt have the fire-power to win without completely owning the clearances.

Watching the highlights, I struggle to see how the Jeremy Cameron dump tackle on Walker in a crunch moment of the game is any different to the Emmett v Leverde tackle last week?? Anyone? Will there be any MRO action against “Jezz” or is that just typical Vic Tax? The double standards are galling. Walker, arms pinned, head driven into the ground - why no free? Why no suspension? **** this sport and this ****en one-sided drudgery week in week out.

Wonder this flat ..feeling and funk is coming off two away games , which we were in a position to win.

Similar to the back to back losses to port and carlton, where we got smashed by the weagles

As always, positives and negatives to draw on from this one.

I guess we've moved from hopeful to expectant. This kind of sucks as there's almost no fun in winning and losses are made out to be disasters.

We lost Pearce (our best 1-on-1 defender), Darcy (#1 ruck and key structural element allowing Jackson to play in Forward line) and Treacy (Main forward threat and key component to mid-fwd link with marks between the arcs). Not really surprised we came up short, but also should be noted that we could've won.

Young probably needs a bigger tank, but he is capable of being the #1 player in the comp. Twice in two weeks he's run out of the middle for goals and continues to supply i50 at an elite level.

These losses hurt as we've shown, at full strength, we play as well as anyone and could genuinely snag it this year in an open comp. Remind yourself of where we were at the start of the season.

We will be bringing in some elite talent in a position of need this Summer (Warner / Bolton - small chance of both).

The biggest difference to this team will be Darcy getting fit and Jackson taking marks. Amiss will get stronger, as will Johnson.

We still might make finals, and if things go right we could even jag it (for clarity I accept this is extremely unlikely).

Two games left, hopefully Carlton do us a favour today.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching the highlights, I struggle to see how the Jeremy Cameron dump tackle on Walker in a crunch moment of the game is any different to the Emmett v Leverde tackle last week?? Anyone? Will there be any MRO action against “Jezz” or is that just typical Vic Tax? The double standards are galling. Walker, arms pinned, head driven into the ground - why no free? Why no suspension? **** this sport and this ****en one-sided drudgery week in week out.
Yep.

Still the worst part of that was Cox's inability to block/shepherd effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the faux wharfies wheel out the anchor at the game?
Yep, although no plastic rock.
And Wharfie Time made an appearance during the middle of play with two minutes to go (which I thought was a bit cheeky), and Geelong punished us by kicking the sealer 20 seconds later.

I thought the same thing at the time.

I said a few weeks ago that Serong is our only natural goal kicker and he showed it again yesterday. Frederick should be dropped on recent performances. Had a good game against WC but fairly invisible otherwise.
Agree, but who comes in?

I know it's starting to sound like a broken record but we need this draft to come around and come around fast.

Agree, but who comes in?

I know it's starting to sound like a broken record but we need this draft to come around and come around fast.

I know he’s not exactly banging down the door, but I’d love Cooper to play the last two games. I think we’re ****ed basically this year, but the kid has class, and I’d like to develop him.

Also want Noddy in

It's not an assumption, it’s a balance of probabilities. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed. We could somehow acquire the whole AA squad during trade week but it would guarantee nothing. The odds of us being a lot better next year would sure be very high, but they wouldn't be 100%.

We have a lot of players in our B22 under 25 and have been in top 4 calculations for most of the year. Does it guarantee we'll become a juggernaut, no. The odds are definitely stacked in our favour. This should be trivial to understand.

There is no chance any club sits around thinking it's all going to happen just because. If they did, they'd have WCE 2023 over and over again.

The simple fact is the majority of our supporter base got way ahead of themselves and rather than admit that, they try rationalise it by saying that the people who actually predicted we were likely not ready are somehow still wrong and we accept mediocrity or some bull****. The problem is you if your expectations are too high.
Think your going off course here a bit

Fwiw I had us pushing for finals with 7-8 (hardly unrealistic expectations considering the club had finished even higher 2 years earlier with a as young and even less experienced team but most notably everyone at the club from the top down being at a pains to say their youth is no excuse.

Also tho ,why shouldn’t expectations change as performances do as compared to the expected??

To not is virtually counterintuitive to the human psyche required in a competitive environment

As you say we’ve been good enough to be in and around the top 4 all year but now the clubs faltering we’ve clearly become not good enough to even make the eight despite being in their most of the year??
All of sudden it’s all due to our age/experience?

It’s this part I can’t get my head around

Put simply if we miss from here it’s been a hugely wasted opportunity, considering where the team was positioned ,to gain INVALUABLE finals experience and it’s this part that I’m most aggrieved*

*anyways its still not 100 % certain just yet and this years certainly thrown up some surprises so let’s hope there’s one more for freo and we can stay in the 8 come end of the year get to play finals

If we had another two or three other players playing the way that Serong, Clark and Young did in that game we would’ve won it easily.

It’s a pretty damning situation when your only multiple goal kicker is a midfielder who runs his guts out trying to win the game off his own back.

Reminded me of Fyfe in his prime.

Think your going off course here a bit

Fwiw I had us pushing for finals with 7-8 (hardly unrealistic expectations considering the club had finished even higher 2 years earlier with a as young and even less experienced team but most notably everyone at the club from the top down being at a pains to say their youth is no excuse.

Also tho ,why shouldn’t expectations change as performances do as compared to the expected??

To not is virtually counterintuitive to the human psyche required in a competitive environment

As you say we’ve been good enough to be in and around the top 4 all year but now the clubs faltering we’ve clearly become not good enough to even make the eight despite being in their most of the year??
All of sudden it’s all due to our age/experience?

It’s this part I can’t get my head around

Put simply if we miss from here it’s been a hugely wasted opportunity, considering where the team was positioned ,to gain INVALUABLE finals experience and it’s this part that I’m most aggrieved*

*anyways its still not 100 % certain just yet and this years certainly thrown up some surprises so let’s hope there’s one more for freo and we can stay in the 8 come end of the year get to play finals
From my ladder analysis, we need the following two scenarios to scrape in:
  • today we need Hawks to lose to Carlton
  • we need to beat Port.

If those two situations transpire we likely finish 8th.

If only one or both don’t we finish 9th.

A draw against Port and it will be a photo finish - likely miss out with Hawks having a soft last two games.

The thing is Geelong didn’t exactly play well. They were actually average at best. We were simply worse.

Forwards or not, if we just dared a bit more they were ripe to be beaten.

We went slow, wide and then down the line.

It feels like the biggest weakness of the team is mental. And we just showed it in the perfect way today:

• Slow start
  • Poor finishing/inability to hold on to a lead
  • Forwards too scared to take the responsibility to shoot
  • Players ignoring attacking options to take the easy pass wide and/or backwards
  • The fumbles under next to no pressure

Just about the only thing we didn't bottle today was the kicking on goal when we finally had a chance.

I also think that as shit as Tabs was subbing him off was a mistake. It gave the cats an extra tall in defence and in a game where we basically bombed it in all day it just played into their hands. At least he was a big body they had to man up.

agree shoudlnt have subbed TABS he was the out kick we needed and was starting to win them

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Fremantle 62, Geelong 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back