French Open 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Nadal has looked unbeatable so far, but he'd be very nervous coming against Djokovic. He'll be praying Federer wins.

As for Sammy, what a moment it would be if she could redeem herself for her recent final in Paris. It would be even better if she could perform similary in Melbourne ... sigh.

There is not really that much of a gap
Four months is a big gap. Sure, the DC and WTF don't wrap up until late in the year but most of the top players take time off after the USO and skip some of the European indoor season / Asian swing. Then they have another month or so off over Christmas.

It's far more hectic earlier in the year. You have the Spring Hardcourts and the ever-expanding European Clay Court season jammed in between the AO and the FO, then grasscourts & Wimbledon, then the Summer Hardcourts leading into the USO.

You say it's four months, but really it's only 6-8 weeks depending on WTF and DC, yes, players take it a bit easier after USO but they are still training and competing in that time, a little time off before training for the new season again, while they probably still have other commitments during that off-season, there really isn't much of a gap at all. Just because the year number has changed doesn't make it that much tougher, it's more mental than anything.

Strongly disagree. Look at the top players' schedules between the USO and AO. They're nowhere near as hectic as they are during any other 4 month period you care to choose. European Indoor and Asian swing are the least important tournaments of the year and the top guys skip tournaments all over the place. Then they have the offseason, which although its only a month or two it's a solid break.

You can't seriously argue that a player who wins AO to USO hasn't played a more punishing schedule than someone who straddles Christmas with their Slam.

I watched the Stosur game. She didn't play that great, just let Cibulkova drown in her own errors really. Stosur did well to come back from 0-40 early in the set on serve and Cibulkova fell in a bundle after that. I was surprised at how in your face Cibulkova was towards her at the end of the first set.

As for the comments, I'm sure Australian players and fans said the same about Mauresmo when she was going around. Shoe on the other foot these days. Meh.
I agree about the 1st set, she was solid but not really doing a whole lot. Was all at sea with a few drop shots that cibulkova tried, looked like a winning tactic if she didnt shoot herself in the foot with the errors, to me there is still a question mark on stosur's defensive skills, get her defending and she isnt that great, rarely from what i have seen is she able to get herself back into the point once she is on the backfoot like say a nadal or a djokovic do so brilliantly. Needs to come to the net against errani imo, errani plants herself on the baseline and will be vulnerable to a few drop volleys.

Also, if you compare the calendar slam to the Nole slam it ends at the FO, i.e. you also haven't done the very difficult RG/Wimby double in the same year.

Covers comming off on Lenglen, but these conditions are going to be shithouse for Sam, I'd almost rather they didn't play at all.

You can't seriously argue that a player who wins AO to USO hasn't played a more punishing schedule than someone who straddles Christmas with their Slam.

I don't get how it matters, 4 slams in a row is 4 slams in a row. You still have to win 28 best out of 5 set matches in a row, trying to devalue that is insane. I agree mentally it's tougher but there isn't that much of a difference, just because players skip a tournament here and there after the USO, they are still training, doing other commitments, it doesn't stop just because the year number has changed.

There is a massive difference in the circumstances surrounding the wins. A CYGS gives you a much more hectic schedule, in a much more compressed timeframe. It also requires greater versatility, because it puts the two HC slams as bookends, and you have to do the difficult FO/Wimbledon double in the middle.

4 slams in a row is a great achievement but to claim there's no difference other than the psychological effect is just plain wrong. A CYGS is much tougher and that's why it's held in infinitely higher regard. It's the ultimate achievement in tennis for a reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

actually it is not - there is only a 6-8 week break between years so to discredit it because of that is bullshit!
He's not "discrediting it" at all, he's just saying why they're is more merit in the CYGS. Most people would take winning 4 slams at all in a heartbeat, its still an incredible acheivement, just not the CYGS. You're certainly entitled to your opinion though.

A lot more emotion from Sam today than normal. Trying to pump herself up, as well as Dave Taylor. But she just simply did not move well enough or hit the ball cleanly enough that set. Stosur playing to close to the lines at times, then playing too much in the middle at others and allowing Errani to control the play. All rallies over 9 shots have gone the way of Errani, Stosur needs to change things quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

French Open 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back