French Open 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, it's not Sharapova's fault, she still had to close the deal which she's done emphatically, but jesus, that is a tasty slice of tennis fortune.

She lost a lot of confidence after her shoulder went bust, but i think this will break the dam wall for her, many more slams to come for Maria.

Im definitely not a fan, but good on her.
Yeah. I think Maria will go on from here and win a few more slams and cement herself as a great of the game. She's been on the scene for a damn long time now but she's still only turned 25. However I think I read somewhere that she didn't want to play into her 30's or something like that and prefers an early retirement- understandable since she turned pro pretty early on. She always was an absolute child prodigy and seemed like the next big thing in women tennis but she lost her way a bit, in the late 2000's. I guess it was hard as well since she was playing against some pretty damn good players like William's sisters, Henin, Clijsters etc. + a few others. Also obviously injuries etc. didn't help it shook her up a bit and her serve was absolutely terrible for a while. With no one really standing out and with it being a weaker women's era, Sharapova really should have a few more slams under her belt by he time she calls it quits.

Who got on Sharapova at $8...hell yes!!!!!!! Easy money will collect tomorrow lol!

As for the retirement, she has stated she wants to play at Rio (the Olympics) in 2016, so one would assume that could be her swansong!

I agree with your overall sentiment, but an embarassment to her profession and chosen an alternate career?
Wasn't saying that Sam should have chosen an alternative career, was saying her mental issues are massively embarrassing. Some of her peers should have chosen an alternative career. Women's tennis is a minefield of mental fragility, Sam had the ability to conquer it once, many of her peers never will.
that post is downright offensive. Embrassment to her profession? ... she has overcome her "mental weakness" before to do what only a handful people have done in this profession as well. An embrassment to her profession, that post is an embrassment to this thread.
I did not say that Sam is an embarrassment to her profession. I said that her constant mental fragility is an embarrassment to her profession, and I stand by that. So she won a GS, that's absolutely fantastic, she's a champ for doing so. But it doesn't excuse repeated poor performances. If she loses at Wimbledon in the 2nd to someone ranked 100th, do we just refer back to her GS win? If she makes the US quarters and loses to a US teen ranked 90th, do we again just focus on her GS win? We were all rapt and congratulatory when she fulfilled her potential. And when she plays crap and loses yet another match that she shouldn't have even struggled to win, then yeah, sorry, but I'll comment on her poor performance.

Who got on Sharapova at $8...hell yes!!!!!!! Easy money will collect tomorrow lol!

As for the retirement, she has stated she wants to play at Rio (the Olympics) in 2016, so one would assume that could be her swansong!

Had 20 on Errani @ $100 after round 3, didn't think she'd be able to beat Shara though if she was on, and she was... Played right into her hands.

If she loses at Wimbledon in the 2nd to someone ranked 100th, do we just refer back to her GS win? If she makes the US quarters and loses to a US teen ranked 90th, do we again just focus on her GS win?

A bit like still referring to Hewitt as former world #1 and a dual grand slam winner. Trying to remind us, oh yeah, Hewitt was great player.

Well done Maria a deserved winner, yep bit of a joke of a tournament but you still have to have the mentality to win a grand slam something that 95% of the players on the women's side don't have.

I did not say that Sam is an embarrassment to her profession.

Now here is where I would post a quote where you did say that but with the new layout I have no idea how to do that anymore. Don't just flat out deny what you said. Calling her an embrassment to her profession is probably one of the lowest acts you can call someone, it just simply isn't on. Sam is a true profesisonal, conducts herself well on and off the court, a major winner in both singles and doubles.

You know I don't disagree with the sentmiment of the post, I'm the first one to call out on Sam's losses over the years and this one is arguably the worst ever but it's a loss, no need to make offensive posts like that. Sam's got to go out and try to forget this and move on, no point harping on about it now. And I think if you a GS you can live on that for the rest of your career, nobody can take that away.

A bit like still referring to Hewitt as former world #1 and a dual grand slam winner. Trying to remind us, oh yeah, Hewitt was great player.

And that he was, so why shouldn't it be brought up? However, its not like he never had massive stuff ups himself either. Does anyone remember when as the defending champ in 03 Wimby he lost in the first round? I was much younger obviously but I cannot recall him being hung out to dry like Sam has been. Although I'm actually starting to think that this is in part due to her seemingly being way more talented than most of her counterparts, whereas Hewitt is not seen to be as talented as her, yet has goten the most out of what he has. This is why it'll be very interesting to see how Bernie turns out, and if he does end up underacheiving (whatever that may be), is everyone going to bag him? Not working hard enough is arguably worse than "choking." The critcism of Stosur is by no means wrong, some of her losses are so ridiculous if she was Italian/russian someone probably would accuse her of match fixing, but you can't just dismiss a player's past acheivements. That includes people dismissing Hewitt in a similar way also.

Would certainly be watching this if it wasn't for having uni exams on Tuesday and Wednesday. :( Hopefully it's a cracking match, would've loved to do be able to do an all night. Hopefully it's still going when the F1 starts at 4am.

Tipping Rafa in 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would take something monumental from Djokovic to come back from here. Nadal is the KoC and he's showing us why.

It would take something monumental from Djokovic to come back from here. Nadal is the KoC and he's showing us why.

Yeah spot on. Rafa is incredible on this surface. You can see how frustrated novak is getting and you can hardly blame him.

Well Djokovic can't do anything, Rafa is like a brick wall- you can not hit past him on clay, it is impossible. He's just way to good on this stuff, he is the best clay courter of all time. Freak. It isn't over yet but it isn't looking good for Novak.

Why oh why are they warming up again ...I hope this doesn't last any longer than 5 mins. They were only off for 20 ffs!

Remove this Banner Ad

French Open 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back