Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Always good after watching live to watch the replay. I conveniently got to three quarter time before the Mrs was ready to watch something and we really could bave won by 60 points if we broke them properly in the third.

Not that I was down on the game before but now I can't help but be so positive of the talent on this list. Brayshaw was actually incredible on TV and him and Darcy (moving SO much better today) playing like they did reminded me we are 5th and several players have shown how much better than can be in other years. Then you have Jackson and Amiss a bit down on form and the potential for the team is just crazy. Amiss in particular just needs to hit shots again and he'd be neck and neck with Treacy on our goal kickers, the talent and forwardcraft is still there.

Finally, guys like Young, Chappy and Sturt are starting to scratch their potential (the latter two just from being on the park) and I'm just frothing on the core of this list.

The only asterisk I now have on this season is wondering how bad Pearce's injury is. I don't think we are doing much with a very underdone Cox and Davies/Draper as our KPDs

Always good after watching live to watch the replay. I conveniently got to three quarter time before the Mrs was ready to watch something and we really could bave won by 60 points if we broke them properly in the third.

Not that I was down on the game before but now I can't help but be so positive of the talent on this list. Brayshaw was actually incredible on TV and him and Darcy (moving SO much better today) playing like they did reminded me we are 5th and several players have shown how much better than can be in other years. Then you have Jackson and Amiss a bit down on form and the potential for the team is just crazy. Amiss in particular just needs to hit shots again and he'd be neck and neck with Treacy on our goal kickers, the talent and forwardcraft is still there.

Finally, guys like Young, Chappy and Sturt are starting to scratch their potential (the latter two just from being on the park) and I'm just frothing on the core of this list.

The only asterisk I now have on this season is wondering how bad Pearce's injury is. I don't think we are doing much with a very underdone Cox and Davies/Draper as our KPDs
We are just unlucky all our mature key defenders may be out all at once.

Thought Wagner was solid. Wouldn't really worry me which one was playing but generally Walker is the better lockdown player. His errors can be costly though.

Still desperately need a gun, mercurial small forward though. We would be so much more dangerous with a Bobby Hill type at the feet of our talls.

Still desperately need a gun, mercurial small forward though. We would be so much more dangerous with a Bobby Hill type at the feet of our talls.
Yeah, it would be massive but the form of Sturt has me a little more relaxed on our forwardline

Walker every day of the week
Fair enough. There seems to be a perception on here that Wagner can't defend. Whether that is based on things current or past I don't know but on TV at least he doesn't look like a defensive liability and he does give good consistent run which takes a fair bit of pressure off Clark. I will just have to your words for it until I get to watch a game live. Pretty ordinary that I haven't even been to the new stadium yet.

I felt that I was watching a team that needs another year of development before really challenging. A good game, but a few too many passengers still. Everything is crossed in the hope that Pearce is not out for long.
Amiss and Jackson a bit disappointing, but I thought some of our delivery to the forwards was rubbish too.
Also, way too many shots on goal that were 9/10 type shots missed. Switta with the snap in the 3rd was just deplorable. 30 m out directly in front with no pressure. We played well enough to bury them but didn't, which sucks.
I’m pretty much on the same train

Sounds very Dockery but next year is when it should click

We definitely need a reliable finisher up forward though
Someone in the Kosi , Hill , Elliot mould

There’s a part of me that wants to land McDonald so that Amiss can play up the ground more , he just doesn’t work as the wrestling kry forward, needs to be more mobile.

Sad to say but the team looked better without Walters
Fyfe is just frustrating at the moment was pretty poor today, surely Brodie couldn’t do any worse?

Fair enough. There seems to be a perception on here that Wagner can't defend. Whether that is based on things current or past I don't know but on TV at least he doesn't look like a defensive liability and he does give good consistent run which takes a fair bit of pressure off Clark. I will just have to your words for it until I get to watch a game live. Pretty ordinary that I haven't even been to the new stadium yet.
Wow
You need to go
It’s a fantastic stadium

Crowd needs more vocal too so get on board the Kahuna train
That guy is awesome to watch live , genuine beast !

Back to Wagner, he’s good and seems a smart player with skills but seems to get pushed around a bit .

Difference is watching Collingwood or Carlton is exciting and they kick goals.

Watching Freo under Longmuir is like watching Spurs under Mourinho, decent enough win record but the games are a defensive snoozefest...
Only if your ability to analyse games is about auskick level.

Last edited:
Wow
You need to go
It’s a fantastic stadium

Crowd needs more vocal too so get on board the Kahuna train
That guy is awesome to watch live , genuine beast !

Back to Wagner, he’s good and seems a smart player with skills but seems to get pushed around a bit .
he would be much better, like anyone, if he could get a few games in a row

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson plays his best when he is running and hunting the ball not when leading up!

Would love to see him take Fyfe's position. He's a contested and ground ball beast and runs all days.

Bring Voss into the forward line
I counted four marking contests in packs where Mac chopped Luke’s arms. Definite frees not paid.

Difference is watching Collingwood or Carlton is exciting and they kick goals.

Watching Freo under Longmuir is like watching Spurs under Mourinho, decent enough win record but the games are a defensive snoozefest...
Hardwick was crushing this game . There were periods in the game where I counted all 18 Suns players inside our F50. Every Gold Coast player on the ground and inside our F50.

The missed opportunities and then not putting the foot down when we had the chance to put them to the sword
well we scored 12.13.85. in the modern age, this would be enough to put away half the teams in the comp.

If you scored 12.13.85 in a grand final in the 1990s, you would easily lose by 4 or 5 or 6 goals.

true... Its gonna be hard to find that Michael Walters type forward that can kick 40-50 goals a season like Walters did.

I know Hayden Ballantyne kicked 49 goals in 2014. But his other years, his best was 32 goals in 21 games in 2010 and 2012.

No discussion rerquired
Walker > Wagner, not taking anything away from Wagners game today by the way
Wagners rebound run was very impressive. The two are hard to seperate. Walker possibly a better lockdown player with greater closing speed.
We desperately need the overlap run out of the backline that these two provide. It breaks the game up and takes us past the opposition defensive structures.

Wagners rebound run was very impressive. The two are hard to seperate. Walker possibly a better lockdown player with greater closing speed.
We desperately need the overlap run out of the backline that these two provide. It breaks the game up and takes us past the opposition defensive structures.
In my mind the discussion is Wagner vs Aish, both about the same defensively but Wagner offers more offensive drive. Walker is hands down our best lockdown defender.

Heavily heavily disagree from what I saw live
Agree on Fyfe. Did a few good things but looked lost at times positionally and a couple of clangers.
Hearing that Treacy tackle at ground level was awesome. Loudest clash I've heard since Subi days I reckon.
That tackle was soooo goooood!!!!! I was up on L3 just above it. Could easily hear the CRUNCH!! What a game he had.

The argument about us beating anyone in the 8 is really not as big of a gotcha as people like to make it out to be. If we lost today we would’ve lost to a 6th placed team but we won and we only beat 12th.

Next week we lose and we could have wins against 2 top 8 teams

Still haven’t played gws, ess and Geel and who knows if they’ll be in the 8 when we play them.
Yeah, the 8 is not a static measure. Changes every week . Simples.

Agree on Fyfe. Did a few good things but looked lost at times positionally and a couple of clangers.

That tackle was soooo goooood!!!!! I was up on L3 just above it. Could easily hear the CRUNCH!! What a game he had.
My favourite moment of the game was Pearce running from half back all the way to the wing through that Suns player.
That was in front of us and I got a bit excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back