Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations from the ground:
Wagner absolutely torched Amiss, twice, by foot on those long run and kicks inside fifty. Picking out the Gold Coast player when Jye had worked to be completely free of his opponent for a shot in front in the first quarter - if Wagner had made those kicks and Jye had kicked straight it could have been a totally different game.

Josh Treacy continuing to be a team player. I'm sure you all noticed when Brayshaw marked in front that Josh gave up contesting the ball and tangled himself up in the defenders coming to smash Andrew. It was only a matter of moments but his ability to see the best outcome for the team, react and execute the interference to protect his team mate was top notch.

Not to mention the obvious strong performance forward.

Sean Darcy pulled Witt's pants down today and Witts is the exact sort of ruck who would normally have Darcy fairly even, a brute - but Sean was winning the taps and then getting dangerous. Lead the entire game for clearances taking the ball out of the ruck himself. Witts losing that contest by that much is what won Fremantle the game. Gold Coast started on the back foot and any ANY clean possession outside of the bounce was ending in GC marking and shooting for goal. Needed Darcy to dominate and he did.

Switta was tagging the butt off whoever Gold Coast had roaming just outside the fifty when they tried to move the ball, other players zoned off but he stuck with Anderson or Miller, Noah was particularly frustrated by it. Simple little game plan to slow ball movement but effective.

Davies let himself get out of position quite a lot, sometimes he was worked out of position to be fair but I think his vision this week during review will be focused on keeping his opponent better placed. Good competitive nature.

Chapman makes us a much better side.

It wasn't amazing, but we kick a little better and them a little worse and we're up by 60 in the 3rd. Both teams got on top at various stages but the difference was we put in on the scoreboard (even if too many points).

We still just haven't quite clicked but I still feel like it could happen any game (no guarantee it happens this year of course).
Very talented..
Very young..
Still learning what they can actually do individually, let alone what it means to be a battle hardened consistent package.
Travelling well!
Yokai!

Wagner absolutely torched Amiss, twice, by foot on those long run and kicks inside fifty. Picking out the Gold Coast player when Jye had worked to be completely free of his opponent for a shot in front in the first quarter - if Wagner had made those kicks and Jye had kicked straight it could have been a totally different game.

Josh Treacy continuing to be a team player. I'm sure you all noticed when Brayshaw marked in front that Josh gave up contesting the ball and tangled himself up in the defenders coming to smash Andrew. It was only a matter of moments but his ability to see the best outcome for the team, react and execute the interference to protect his team mate was top notch.

Sean Darcy pulled Witt's pants down today and Witts is the exact sort of ruck who would normally have Darcy fairly even, a brute - but Sean was winning the taps and then getting dangerous. Lead the entire game for clearances taking the ball out of the ruck himself. Witts losing that contest by that much is what won Fremantle the game. Gold Coast started on the back foot and any ANY clean possession outside of the bounce was ending in GC marking and shooting for goal. Needed Darcy to dominate and he did.

Switta was tagging the butt off whoever Gold Coast had roaming just outside the fifty when they tried to move the ball, other players zoned off but he stuck with Anderson or Miller, Noah was particularly frustrated by it. Simple little game plan to slow ball movement but effective.

Davies let himself get out of position quite a lot, sometimes he was worked out of position to be fair but I think his vision this week during review will be focused on keeping his opponent better placed. Good competitive nature.

Now that's realism!
Travelling well!

Always good after watching live to watch the replay. I conveniently got to three quarter time before the Mrs was ready to watch something and we really could bave won by 60 points if we broke them properly in the third.

Not that I was down on the game before but now I can't help but be so positive of the talent on this list. Brayshaw was actually incredible on TV and him and Darcy (moving SO much better today) playing like they did reminded me we are 5th and several players have shown how much better than can be in other years. Then you have Jackson and Amiss a bit down on form and the potential for the team is just crazy. Amiss in particular just needs to hit shots again and he'd be neck and neck with Treacy on our goal kickers, the talent and forwardcraft is still there.

Finally, guys like Young, Chappy and Sturt are starting to scratch their potential (the latter two just from being on the park) and I'm just frothing on the core of this list.

The only asterisk I now have on this season is wondering how bad Pearce's injury is. I don't think we are doing much with a very underdone Cox and Davies/Draper as our KPDs
I was exactly the same.
Put an edit in the MVP to reflect the difference in watching live v the replay.

If there ever was a template for JLO’s brand, this game was it.

We are really effective for defending post-clearance. There were a few moments Touk was out but Brayshaw ran him down and turned it over. That is us.

We also always seem to have a player peeling off the clearance directly towards goal, usually Young or Johnson. It looks amazing sometimes.

I think we are vulnerable trying to get it out of defence. Treacy cant be everywhere, Jackson isn’t marking anything at the moment and Amiss doesn’t have the strength yet.

Losing Pearce just killed the enjoyment of this game for me; in all honesty I would have rather lost that game than lost Pearce to injury. He has been huge this year.

Last thing, I dont watch WAFL but Davies looks a ripper.
Differences here already from last week.
Travelling nicely.

Very talented..
Very young..
Still learning what they can actually do individually, let alone what it means to be a battle hardened consistent package.
Travelling well!
Yokai!

I know there are a bunch of guys close to the 50 and 100 milestone, but it feels like it is taking forever to not be young anymore. Marginally older and more experienced than North this round (essentially the same) who are allegedly at ground zero.

1719187117567.png

I know there are a bunch of guys close to the 50 and 100 milestone, but it feels like it is taking forever to not be young anymore. Marginally older and more experienced than North this round (essentially the same) who are allegedly at ground zero.

View attachment 2028704
Sonny out takes a lot off our average. It’s why it infuriates me that we never get the same “young team” acknowledgments that hawks and north etc get

Sonny out takes a lot off our average. It’s why it infuriates me that we never get the same “young team” acknowledgments that hawks and north etc get
I think that’s driven by JL to an extent, he said at the start of the year he didn’t want that used as an excuse anymore.

Even more than that, 4 of our 6 oldest players are now just bottom 8 roleplayers - Fyfe, Walters, JOM, Aish. It's only AP and Ryan that we get a lot out of the 28+ brigade.

The main reason we don't get it is because the media is **** at their job and the footy landscape is the biggest piece of groupthink going.

I think that’s driven by JL to an extent, he said at the start of the year he didn’t want that used as an excuse anymore.

I'm glad the club isn't using it as an excuse, that doesn't stop the media using their brains and doing some research though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh is definitely Captain material.
When discussing Captaincy prospects we mostly lean towards possessions leaders like Caleb and Andrew but Josh Treacy has more of something else, selflessness. It’s been said of him at training how he is always urging on , encouraging and giving advice to teammates.
Let’s face facts, Josh is really the only brute force player in the side; An enforcer if you prefer and a talented one.
He is the consummate leader.

Josh is definitely Captain material.
When discussing Captaincy prospects we mostly lean towards possessions leaders like Caleb and Andrew but Josh Treacy has more of something else, selflessness. It’s been said of him at training how he is always urging on , encouraging and giving advice to teammates.
Let’s face facts, Josh is really the only brute force player in the side; An enforcer if you prefer and a talented one.
He is the consummate leader.
Not sure about his communication style tbh.. on field he is very vocal but if you listen to him speak off field even with the latest down back podcast he is quite softly spoken

Not sure about his communication style tbh.. on field he is very vocal but if you listen to him speak off field even with the latest down back podcast he is quite softly spoken
Time and place for everything. Why would he shout on a podcast ?
Communication is more than vocal. Watch how he runs to celebrate players’ on ground achievements.
The passage of play Taylor mentioned with Andy and what josh did to assist was followed up with Josh having a quick word to Andy in encouragement.
We could do a lot worse than having this bloke as our next captain.

It went on all day Fred and there were several blatant holding the ball frees which weren’t given to us as well.

I liked Wagner’s run through the corridor. He is proving to be an excellent link man.
I sit in block 128 so the infringements on Luke were only at the western end. It stands to reason it was happening
At the other end of the ground also.
I thought Jackson played okay, pretty much a sacrificial role yesterday on Mac Andrew.

Dean Laidley rating Heath Chapman 6.
He is a tough judge then. How he rated Switta, Johnson, Jackson and Pearce higher is confusing.
Did he watch the game on tv in Melbourne ?
I agree with his brief on everyone else , in particular Nat Fyfe.

Ffs stop being so precious and use her correct pronouns. Join the rest of us in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back