Review Freo dims the Suns by 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Like that Flagmantle page on FB. I have honestly not come across a more miserable page.

I digress.

Wasn't a convincing win from what I watched, but you know what, 4pts is 4pts and we did what we needed to do. Win next week, and anything is honestly possible.

I had a crack at that bloke on fb, absolute moron. His zealot mates came to his defense.

Like that Flagmantle page on FB. I have honestly not come across a more miserable page.

I digress.

Wasn't a convincing win from what I watched, but you know what, 4pts is 4pts and we did what we needed to do. Win next week, and anything is honestly possible.
Collingwood and Carlton have had some incredibly unconvincing wins. A lot because their opponents kicked like pure ass. But a wins a win. Not always gonna be pretty.

This is a big part in why Sydney are so good. Heeney, Gulden and Warner being a scoreboard threat all the time, even if their forwards aren’t clicking.

This is a major improvement area for us. I don’t think anyone is surprised Young can kick goals. He has another level to go to as a goalkicking mid and can be a star. Brayshaw has been spending time forward of centre. And Serong has been well down on what he is capable of as a goalkicker. All of these guys can be more attacking options in the future to take us to the next level and we got a glimpse of it today.
Don't forget Darcy. 5 goals in 7 games this year. 10-15 goals a year from him adds yet another dimension.

Collingwood and Carlton have had some incredibly unconvincing wins. A lot because their opponents kicked like pure ass. But a wins a win. Not always gonna be pretty.

Difference is watching Collingwood or Carlton is exciting and they kick goals.

Watching Freo under Longmuir is like watching Spurs under Mourinho, decent enough win record but the games are a defensive snoozefest...

I digress.

I would sit next to you at the footy lol

I was actually pretty happy with that win. I think people forget just how even the competition is, and the Suns have some serious talent (more than our team, even with injuries) that if they turn it on they are very hard to beat, and they have two guns in Miller and Rowell who could have potentially done a Bont and Libba on us today (whilst Lukosius can be very dangerous) - I think people need to remember that and take that into account to be "realists".

Does the club have work to do? - yes of course. Would I like to see my favorite player Amiss back in form and kicking goals? Yes of course. Will Sydney be a tall ask next week? Yes definitely... but:

(1) Young backed up his Melbourne game today and added a new dimension to our midfield by also rolling forward and kicking goals,
(2) Sturt continues to be very consistent and add something to this forward line that a declining Walters was sort of not adding anymore,
(3) Treacy has taken it to a level I didn't think he had in him,
(4) Chapman and Clark were great in rebound
(5) Brayshaw had a game which looked more like his 22.

And we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a meh game. Bank the 4 points and move on.
I thought Young, Chapman and Treacy were our best. Sturt was pretty good, kicked 2 goals, had one brain fart where he clearly should have handballed to Amiss but otherwise very good game.
Darcy and Serong were good, Johnson and Clark did some good things.
Not sure with all the hate towards Aish, I thought he was decent enough. That intercept mark and then brilliant kick to Young in the middle resulted in a good team goal. That kick from 50 I honestly thought it wasn’t touched at all, probably should’ve been a goal to him.

Jackson and Fyfe were pretty ordinary and that’s being generous. I’m not sure if there’s anyone in the competition that gets pinged HTB more than Fyfe.
Personally I would drop both but I know that won’t happen.
I’m not sure if there’s anyone in the competition that gets pinged HTB more than Fyfe.......Matthew Johnson??

Johnson was solid
Upside starting to show
Can shrug a tackle and has the Mundy like ability to be able to conjure up time
Id rather put time into nurturing his talents rather than selling the farm for Worner

It’s not an either or situation.

Warner is possibly the piece that elevates us

The argument about us beating anyone in the 8 is really not as big of a gotcha as people like to make it out to be. If we lost today we would’ve lost to a 6th placed team but we won and we only beat 12th.

Next week we lose and we could have wins against 2 top 8 teams

Still haven’t played gws, ess and Geel and who knows if they’ll be in the 8 when we play them.

Also Melbourne were in the 8 but us beating them knocked them out so Melbourne don’t count either apparently 😂

No one can go past Swans but a couple of months ago Cats were 7-0. Things can change.
I have no idea where we sit, but if you remove Swans we’re as good a shot as anyone from 2-12.

Still dare to dream. It’s unlikely. We all see our window being larger when our forwards are older BUT you just never know.

What I definitely know we have is room to grow. We’re 5th with tons of space to improve. That’s a good thing.

I posted this earlier on the game day thread.

I just noticed we didnt play Walters as he was injured today.

This game today showed us a sample of what our forward structure is like in a post walters era.

Anyone here confident about that?

If Walters retires at the end of this season, do we have a solid enough forward line to contend for finals from 2025 onwards?
We are drafting two outside kids, two small forwards.

We are fine.

Yeah I don't get the misery on here, maybe I just have tempered expectations with this club - the Freo narrative holds that we were going to shit the bed against at this stage of the year against a team like the Gold Coast and ruin yet another season, that didn't happen and we would have put them away by 50 points if we kicked straight.

Positives:

- Chapman plays THAT game after last week out injured? Some people just have that extra edge, and he's it. I'm going to be as bold in saying he could become our most important player - intelligent, classy with ball in hand, has the vertical edge and rarely makes the wrong choice.

- Young - you can put him in the same category, he's only getting stronger and cleaner each and every game. Remember this time last year there were suggestions Young should be tried in the midfield? Now look where we are a year later.

- Treacy - enough said already, takes incredible grabs and kicks straight. Everytime the ball is kicked to a contest with him you know more often that not he'll mark it or at least put on the ground.

- Sturt - wow he's actually beginning to look like he belongs, he's fast, accurate and actually put on a bit of muscle in his tackling today. Creating another option up front is what we need, he just needs to add another bow to his strong by taking a few more contested grabs.

- Many other players contributed more than this board has given credit for, Switkowski was good, Jackson would've had a better game if he just clunked his marks more. He seems to be carrying a niggle. Wagner was actually brilliant for a couple of games back in, he could find himself a permanent spot in the team - has a hard edge, reminds a bit of Adam McPhee back in the day.

Negatives:

- Johnson had some good moments, but that taking on the tackler arrogance act is just a joke, he had the option to sidestep and move it out quickly.

- Suns got to the ball first so many times, once we half the contest we normally win it, but there's the issue of the first tap, I can't keep beating this drum any more but we NEED someone like Brodie to win the ball for us first, it just looks so unlikely.

- Fyfe - bloke still offers physicality but he slows us down so much, is clearly being selected on experience/reputation and not much else. I think he's holding back the development of Erasmus and a Brodie selection, not sure what'll happen here.

Overall for me, to be 5th on the ladder after Round 15 isn't a bad place to be - I think the Bye really messes with our young team and we may start building some symmetry again.

We are still likely a couple of years off it though, a finals campaign would boost the boys mentally and a good off-season could really fast track things for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back