Freo - Officially the least successful team in AFL historty

Remove this Banner Ad

VoR said:
One pathetic finals performance to show from 10 seasons.

Why have they been so bad for so long?

Just like when Kentucky Fried Chicken started using the initials as their name when it was no longer relevant.

Lockyer24 said:
I can narrow it down to one decision, giving up the pick for Matthew Lloyd for those Essendon hacks all those years ago.

Maybe 2 - How about giving up that dud called Andrew McLeod for the SuperStar by the name of Chris Groom...

Mead said:
You seem to be making a career out of making amusingly wrongheaded statements about West Coast.

Anyone who watched West Coast play in 2001 would not accuse them of 'conveniently' winning 5 games. If we were tanking we were doing a bloody good job of it, given our average losing margin was around 50 points. Similarly, we had the worst percentage that year, generally a sure indication of the crappest teams going around.When Worsfold took over the Eagles were the shortest priced favorites by quite some way for the 2002 spoon.

The injury run theory is utter bunk. Overall, in his inaugural season, Worsfold had access to 8 players who managed to stay fit enough to play 20 games or more in 2002, Connolly had access to 18 who played 20 or more. The veterans? In 2001, Jakovich played 22 games, McIntosh played 12, Matera played 19. In 2002 Jakovich played 22 games, McIntosh played 19, Matera played 17. Dramatic difference there :rolleyes:

Its also a bit rich to suggest that West Coast had access to a better list than Fremantle at that time. Due to their sustained mediocrity (which continued in Connolly's first season) Fremantle had access to several more first round draft picks than West Coast, the fact that they've tended to squander those for magic beans (both before and after Connolly took over)
is hardly relevant.

So in summary, you're talking pure, steamy, unadulterated crap. I realise '92 and '94 must have been tough for you living over here, but sheesh, build a bridge already.

I was just going by memory, must've got my years confused. I'm sure Jako and McIntosh both missed nearly an entire year in around that time.

I stand by the fact that West Coast had a better list back then, they had at least 4 premiership players who still had a couple of good years left in them. They had Cousins who was getting towards his best, they had Phil Matera and Cumming wasn't bad at FF (for one season anyway), not to mention guys like Wirrapunda and Fletcher who were young but still pretty good. Freo had nothing really, Haselby developed early and was good, Parker was solid, McManus was solid, Pavlich was still learning the game. Not sure that there were too many others, I don't think they had Bell back then (I could be wrong on that). Overall, at the time, West Coast had the better list, now I think the tables have turned as Freo's high picks have developed, and some good selections have gained some great value players (such as Medhurst).

As for 92 and 94, you have no idea what it is like to live in Perth as a Geelong supporter. You guys didn't beat us for about 5 or 6 years after 94, but you still had those 2 flags, and I still copped it. I admit I am biased against the Eagles, but I always try to back up statements with facts.

west coast with there list should have won more than 2 flags.

and i agree we probably are the least successful team in AFL history. only one finals apperance and we lost it!

ya cant change history. ;)

WestCat said:
I was just going by memory, must've got my years confused. I'm sure Jako and McIntosh both missed nearly an entire year in around that time.

I stand by the fact that West Coast had a better list back then, they had at least 4 premiership players who still had a couple of good years left in them. They had Cousins who was getting towards his best, they had Phil Matera and Cumming wasn't bad at FF (for one season anyway), not to mention guys like Wirrapunda and Fletcher who were young but still pretty good. Freo had nothing really, Haselby developed early and was good, Parker was solid, McManus was solid, Pavlich was still learning the game. Not sure that there were too many others, I don't think they had Bell back then (I could be wrong on that). Overall, at the time, West Coast had the better list, now I think the tables have turned as Freo's high picks have developed, and some good selections have gained some great value players (such as Medhurst).

Again, you're actually wrong about everything.

Fletcher was very average player until at least a year after Worsfold took over and developed him, Cummings had a very poor 2001 (16.4 from a FF) and was delisted around a fortnight after Worsfold was appointed.

As for the Freo's list- actually when Connolly took over, they did have Bell, he was traded to the club at the start of 2001. Pavlich was not 'learning the game', he was AA in Connolly's first year, and if anything has gone backwards since then. Croad and Farmer had arrived at the club by the time Connolly got the job, the latter having kicked 109 goals from 37 games over his previous two years at Melbourne, and the former being touted as the next big thing in the AFL.

As for Freo's picks developing since then, unfortunately Fremantle have shown a predilection for trading away those high picks for the footballing equivilant of a sack of magic beans. #1 in the draft went to Hawthorn for Croad and then back from Hawthorn as #10 in one of the great draft pick deprecation deals of all time, they got Polak, we got a Brownlow medallist, they got Schammer, we got Waters and Butler, and so the circle of life continues.

Why do people bring up things like "its 3/3 over the last 3 years". There is no doubt that Freo aren't the least sucessful team since 2002, but this thread is talking about their history (ie 15-5)

Mead said:
Again, you're actually wrong about everything.

Fletcher was very average player until at least a year after Worsfold took over and developed him, Cummings had a very poor 2001 (16.4 from a FF) and was delisted around a fortnight after Worsfold was appointed.

As for the Freo's list- actually when Connolly took over, they did have Bell, he was traded to the club at the start of 2001. Pavlich was not 'learning the game', he was AA in Connolly's first year, and if anything has gone backwards since then. Croad and Farmer had arrived at the club by the time Connolly got the job, the latter having kicked 109 goals from 37 games over his previous two years at Melbourne, and the former being touted as the next big thing in the AFL.

As for Freo's picks developing since then, unfortunately Fremantle have shown a predilection for trading away those high picks for the footballing equivilant of a sack of magic beans. #1 in the draft went to Hawthorn for Croad and then back from Hawthorn as #10 in one of the great draft pick deprecation deals of all time, they got Polak, we got a Brownlow medallist, they got Schammer, we got Waters and Butler, and so the circle of life continues.

Did Cummings really only kick 16 goals that year? :eek:

Freo also got McPharlin in that deal, so it wasn't all bad. Polak will make or break it in the next 2 years. Not sure about Waters and Butler, haven't seen much of them. Other than that, I guess I shouldn't trust my memory about other teams in future. :eek:

As for the original point about the coaches though, they are equal at this stage as far as wins are concerned. And with equivalent lists, which has been pointed out to me, they are in the same boat.

Carn the Coasters said:
Why do people bring up things like "its 3/3 over the last 3 years". There is no doubt that Freo aren't the least sucessful team since 2002, but this thread is talking about their history (ie 15-5)

I think it's because Freo have really only got their act together in the last 3 years. Before that they really were a basket case who squandered all of their opportunities.

It seems that the new interstate teams can be lumped into two baskets -
Basket One - Port, Crows, Eagles. Success is their best friend.
Basket Two - Bears, Dockers. That's some pretty celubrious company to share failure with.

WestCat said:
Did Cummings really only kick 16 goals that year?....
An enigma that guy. Moved from team to team (Essendon - Port Adelaide - West Coast - Collingwood) giving everyone one good year. Despite now being the size of Ayres Rock he played in one of the post season fool arounds and showed there was always talent there. Likeable, life of the party guy. Could have been a star for any of those teams but after serial sackings clearly couldn't be stuffed. Off topic I know. Sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theGav56 said:
Not me mate, cldn't give a rats about Caaarlton and their disgusting history. Win, lose or draw nobody but their own supporters and a couple of colliwobble fans are interested and I hope Caaaarlton are the one interstate clubs to fold/merge/disappear up their own PIGSAAAARSE

Cheats.
You aim too high.

Mead said:

Hold up.
Firstly you know perfectly well that it wasnt Croad for pick 1 in a straight swap.
Pick 3 was offered maybe, only the inclusion of McPharlin made it pick 1.
I am happy with Polak as far as pick 3 goes (might have been 4 I cant remeber). Given Polak time and Career wise his impact could be that of Judd, remeber key position players take time.

Give me Schammer anyday of the week over Waters and Butler.

sabre_ac said:
Hold up.
Firstly you know perfectly well that it wasnt Croad for McPharlin in a straight swap.

We picked up Ryley Dunn in 2003 with Pick 10, which was what we got for Croad when we traded him back to Hawthorn.

Dunn has had one injury interrupted year since being at Freo, so pretty hard to say that we were screwed on that as he was touted as a possible top 5, slipped through to us as pick 10, and could still be anything.

The "accepted" view is that if we had've kept pick 1 in 2001, and then still had 4 we would have talen Polak with 1 and were likely to have taken Sampi with 4 (who went at 6 anyway). So effectively we have Dunn, not Sampi - can't make any judgements on who would have been better there for another few years. The icing on the cake - and dare I say the one that will also be the jewel in the crown for us (while we're on a roll with idioms) is McPharlin.

So we still got Polak as planned, then got Croad instead of Sampi, but then ended up with Dunn instead of Croad. And McPharlin as the "extra" who is / will be better than the lot of them.

And yeah, we were crap for the first 7 years. But you know what?? I don't care! You can't change the past, you can only look to the future. All clubs have lean years, ours came right at the start - only way to go from there is up. You don't keep Freo footy down for long.

Sampi has been playing for 2 more years than Dunn and Dunn was on the long term injured list for much of last year.

Like I said - too early to tell. At least try and look through both eyes occasionally.

UNIT said:
Sampi has shown a hell of a lot more than Ryley Dunn ever has.....

Funny that. One's had three years of AFL experience. The other got drafted a year ago, broke a collarbone and has hardly played a game since getting here.

Do tell, how was Ashley Sampi's first year?

sabre_ac said:
Give me Schammer anyday of the week over Waters and Butler.

Don't know if I agree with that entirely mate - Butler maybe but now Waters, He's gonna be a star.

Freo were a complete and utter rabble to begin with but slowly they're getting their act together. Throw in a KPP who could bag 50-60 goals this season and perhaps snare even a couple of games away from home and they'd give the finals a fair shake. They're really not that far away from getting the mix right.

Beau Waters will be the Eagles new enforcer you watch....id keep him over Schammertime any day of the week...regardless of where they are in the career.

UNIT said:
Sampi has shown a hell of a lot more than Ryley Dunn ever has.....
That is such a silly statement. Sampi has already played three years (two full years) of AFL footy and picked up in the 2001 draft. Dunn was picked up in the 2003 draft and has ionly played two games while injury has kept him out of all footy action for the rest of 2004.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo - Officially the least successful team in AFL historty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back