From AA to WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

bombermick

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2009
Vermont South
AFL Club
Essendon
Best of luck to Leon. He was one of my fav non-Bombers to watch, with his daring run and precise kicking. He should be filthy with his management, but it's hard to believe four clubs didn't see fit to recruit a proven star of the game.

The game won't be the same without him.

Has there ever been a more spectacular (self imposed) fall from grace? I can't think of anyone else.

TBH I think Fev's fall was even worse.

Playing in a 'glamour' position at FF, certainly earning more bucks than Leon & with Davis he, at least in part, made the decision to walk away. Fev was still willing to pay for rookie wages.

Not sure why it's labeled a "fall from grace".

He said he wanted to go home for family reasons and would play in the WAFL if that was the only way he was going to get that. He stuck to his guns and did that.

There's more to life than money and money isn't wealth.

He is only of value for a club playing finals and has proven he doesn't have the mental toughness to perform when it matters: Grand / Finals. No surprise really.

Why is it a fall from grace

The money offered to him wasn't sufficient to keep him in Melbourne.

He wanted to go back to be with his family or that of his wife.

There were no fit with the clubs in the states he desired, so he plays WAFL.

Sure he's not playing AFL, but he is back home where he wanted to be. That's not a fall from grace, that's a lifestyle choice.

i am simply at a loss as to why none of the clubs would pick him up... especially west coast given our run of form last year...

i can understand port, but even then gee a guy like that would make you much more competitive...

welcome to the AFL - we're it's more important to be good in five years than it is to be good now

i am simply at a loss as to why none of the clubs would pick him up... especially west coast given our run of form last year...

i can understand port, but even then gee a guy like that would make you much more competitive...

welcome to the AFL - we're it's more important to be good in five years than it is to be good now
Agree but couldn't be more happy than where he is now.

the only thing i dont understand is why west coast chose dick instead of davis. surely davis has as many years left as cox, kerr, embley and so on. dick was pushed out of collingwood by a first year player, unless he had injuries i havent heard of.

yeah Im a bit bemused by this, was it a money thing or do West Coast just like Dick?

Hugely overrated player who has continually been found wanting in the heat of the finals time and again

It's not a big mystery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only thing i dont understand is why west coast chose dick instead of davis. surely davis has as many years left as cox, kerr, embley and so on. dick was pushed out of collingwood by a first year player, unless he had injuries i havent heard of.

Ummm...a true Bigfooty poster, having no actual knowledge on a topic but still choosing to post and try sound like they are well informed.

Brad Dick has been crippled by injuries, shoulders and Knee's, hence Collingwood invited him to stay on and train for a rookie list spot (they wanted to keep him but he kept getting injured, didn't want to risk a main list spot).

He won't be up and going at West Coast for a few months due to this, so will be a little while before we see him running around in the WAFL (barring any more injury).

He is only 23 and could turn out to be an excellent player as a small crumbing forward, or a few more injuries and he gets delisted.

Dick has been more or less constantly injured his whole career, including serious knee and shoulder injuries. He has shown talent when he gets on the park, but his body is very fragile. If he can somehow keep his body together he will be a good player.

He is only of value for a club playing finals and has proven he doesn't have the mental toughness to perform when it matters: Grand / Finals. No surprise really.

Well I disagree, it has been described as a flaw in the (AFL) system & that is on the money, BUT it must be the worst example of player management since the Bomboms routed their 2000 premiership playing list & surely Leons manager will be held accountable.

How can an AA not be worth a spot on a list when there are more than 700 getting a gig?

I didnt see Leon as value for my team at this point in our development , looking to the ultimate prize, so its difficult to see exactly where he might fit, again isnt that what anyone with an iota of management skill would have ascertained?

Good luck Leon with Perth Footy club.

Says more about the bias in which the AA Team is selected. Davis was pushed up by a bias media base that loves all things Collingwood. Clubs aren't stupid enough to pick up a 30 year year old seagull.

Never understood the hate by opposition supporters to Leon. A few normal Collingwood trolls in this thread couldn't help themselves, but not surprising.

He was a sublimely talented player who finishes as a dual AA & a premiership player to boot. By foot, he is in the top few percent exponents in the competition & has a highlight package that few players can rival.

He has been a model citizen off the field, has had no major dramas on the field & is one of the quietest players in the game. Has done a great cause for Aborginals at Collingwood, a career to be celebrated that ended b/c of Liam Pickering.

Says more about the bias in which the AA Team is selected. Davis was pushed up by a bias media base that loves all things Collingwood. Clubs aren't stupid enough to pick up a 30 year year old seagull.

Give it a rest mate, Davis was clearly AA standard this year.

Surprised no one would pick him up, his foot skills would make him a valuable player in any team, but looks like the focus is solely on youth.

Give it a rest mate, Davis was clearly AA standard this year.

Surprised no one would pick him up, his foot skills would make him a valuable player in any team, but looks like the focus is solely on youth.

His footskills are fine when the ball is handballed backwards to him and he's 30 meters clear. Any chance of body contact and he's deplorable. See GF.

Did Davis nominate for the national draft?

I'm shocked that Essendon couldn't keep a spot for Davis in the national draft or PSD. Besides Heppell who is young and still developing, their medium defenders and flankers aren't as damaging as Davis. With Winderlich and Dempsey recovering from knee injuries, it's even more of a surprise that the eighth placed side couldn't find a spot for him. Yes, Davis is a bit flaky in big games, yet he's fit enough to play for another two seasons. Isn't a flog like Lovett and Fevola. Better option than Henry Slattery who kept his place on their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

From AA to WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back