Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone that thinks an AFL/Cricket oval makes a decent Rugby League/Union or Soccer venue is clearly deluded.
Whether its the MCG,Docklands,Adelaide or Perth Stadium,the viewing for the rectangular sports at any of these venues is terrible.
At least ANZ Stadium makes an effort to bring spectators closer to the sidelines!

and again,”Perth Stadium,the benchmark in World Stadiums”. LOL ROFL

80k? Rectangle
the Odd big rugby game.

The NRL G.F. didn't even make 80k!!!!!

Hense why the 50k SCG and 35k Spotless are perfect for AFL and Cricket.

So why does NRL play at the SCG among other ovals ?
And why do the Swans hold the record for a H&A game at ANZ stacdium.

Our mess is because we have a dozen suburban stadiums that were until recently all getting grants to be upgraded. It was garbage.

Exactly and the talk is again about multiple upgrades to multiple stadiums.
Why does NRL need SFS when it plays at the SCG. ? Why not just the SCG ?

The NRL GF was 79,700.Not bad considering the two interstate teams.
Anyway,there was 80,000 plus crowds for State of Origin,Sydney FC and West Sydney Wanderers games in 2017.
Even 100,000 for Concerts during the year.
Most likely another 80,000 + next month for the World Cup qualifer

As for the NRL playing at the SCG.Its done 1 time per year during retro round.

And Swans holding an AFL record crowd at ANZ Stadium!
What a surprise!
Who wouldve thought!

79k Between 2 interstate sides. Previous to this year it was over 80k each time.

Is this a serious post or are we drinking?

A one off "Heritage" game that is sometimes played there.
Other ovals get a 1 off game. Rarely.
There are no ovals that are regualr home and away grounds.

I doubt it as the NRL held an opening day double header which was H&A and there was 110k there in '99.

Exactly and the talk is again about multiple upgrades to multiple stadiums.
Why does NRL need SFS when it plays at the SCG. ? Why not just the SCG ?

To the main stadiums? Yep absolutely

Parra SFS both needed rebuilds due to safety issues and quality
SCG and Spotless are unfinished.
ANZ needs to be configured correctly and adjusted.

The other suburban grounds will no longer get the state funds for 1st class sport nor should they except in council size benefits.

I answered your comment about the SCG above.

Its beyond silly to expect rectangle codes to play their blue chip events in ovals in this day and age.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think he was referring to the Swans holding most of the biggest single H&A game crowd figures at ANZ. Double headers are basically half the crowd being there for one game only (usually the one their team is involved in) and can be a logistical nightmare for some venues like the MCG, the site of the only VFL/AFL double header on April 25, 1986

I doubt it as the NRL held an opening day double header which was H&A and there was 110k there in '99”

Its only an AFL record outside Melbourne.72,393 in 2003
5 games in 2017 alone attracted more than that at ANZ (2xNRL,3xSoccer)

79k Between 2 interstate sides.

The fact remains in 2017 The NRL G.F. didn't reach 80k. Did it ? No it didn't reach 80K.

"There are no ovals that are regualr home and away grounds." But NRL plays regularly on ovals.
Why does the NRL play on ovals when it is so horrendously detrimental to the code ?
"NRL held an opening day double header which was H&A" It was two H&A games not one!
In 2017 the NRL had five, yes five NRL games sub 10k at ANZ. Why does the NRL continue to embarrass itself like that for ?
"Parra SFS both needed rebuilds due to safety issues and quality" Really ?
"Its beyond silly to expect rectangle codes to play their blue chip events in ovals in this day and age." So why do these silly silly people continue to play at ovals when there is alternatives ? Blue chip events ?
"ANZ needs to be configured correctly and adjusted." Are you serious ?

The fact remains in 2017 The NRL G.F. didn't reach 80k. Did it ? No it didn't reach 80K.

"There are no ovals that are regualr home and away grounds." But NRL plays regularly on ovals.
Why does the NRL play on ovals when it is so horrendously detrimental to the code ?
The NRL do NOT regularly play on ovals

"NRL held an opening day double header which was H&A" It was two H&A games not one!
In 2017 the NRL had five, yes five NRL games sub 10k at ANZ. Why does the NRL continue to embarrass itself like that for ?
"Its beyond silly to expect rectangle codes to play their blue chip events in ovals in this day and age." So why do these silly silly people continue to play at ovals when there is alternatives ? Blue chip events ?

Your ignorance is embarassing ....

Nope

SCG has to have its upgrades finished as does Spotless.

If those 2 unfinished stadiums are adequate as of now then so are the 10 rectangle stadiums for those codes.

Especially when you take in the cost.
1.6 bill to upgrade/rebuild the rectangle grounds.
100 mil or so to upgrade the 2 oval grounds.

Sorry didn’t mean adequate as in no further work required, just adequate as in that tenants at either venue won’t be looking for a new home anytime soon.

Out of the rectangular stadiums ANZ should hold priority over any work at the football stadium, but if they end up compromising and having an oval configuration at ANZ then there’s not really any point in touching at all.

You really dont know anything about other codes or grounds or states do you?
They dont play regularly at ovals. Get over it.
Yes it was a double header but there are many other games held there that were bigger crowds including world cup games (rugby and football), bledisloe, lions tours, concerts, SOO, Grand Finals etc.
Your last paragraph proves your knowledge or lack there of.

Sorry didn’t mean adequate as in no further work required, just adequate as in that tenants at either venue won’t be looking for a new home anytime soon.

Out of the rectangular stadiums ANZ should hold priority over any work at the football stadium, but if they end up compromising and having an oval configuration at ANZ then there’s not really any point in touching at all.

I think finishing both Spotless and SCG is fairer as once ANZ is changed then we cant play there.

As a sports fan they really need to fix ANZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans dont want afl at anz

Giants dont want afl at anz

Nrl clubs dont want afl at anz

Where is the demand, at club level or fan level for anz to be retained as an oval?

This is purely a spoiler move by the afl to kybosh the anz funding. Its as obvious as dogs balls though, and will rightly fail

Without gws/sfc support, this will just be seen as vics lamely trying to interfere in nsw affairs for no valid reason

Where is the demand, at club level or fan level for anz to be retained as an oval?

This is purely a spoiler move by the afl to kybosh the anz funding. Its as obvious as dogs balls though, and will rightly fail

Without gws/sfc support, this will just be seen as vics lamely trying to interfere in nsw affairs for no valid reason
Its only a push to try and get SCG and Spotless finished 1st.

Its politics

So you think spending 1.6b rebuilding anz is a good idea?

So you think spending 1.6b rebuilding anz is a good idea?
As far as i know that 1.6 billion is for
Parra rebuild
ANZ rebuild
SFS Upgrade
SCG Finish
And hopefully theres 40mil left to finish Spotless

So its the total state stadium budget. Not just for ANZ stadium. Fairly certain anyway.

As far as i know that 1.6 billion is for
Parra rebuild
ANZ rebuild
SFS Upgrade
SCG Finish
And hopefully theres 40mil left to finish Spotless

So its the total state stadium budget. Not just for ANZ stadium. Fairly certain anyway.

The issue has been in recent times cost estimates for anz blew out. The idea of a roof and rebuilding some of the stands saw nearly all the dollars be required for anz

Havent studied it, but i suspect the demo move that has recently started (over reno) is because the cost of starting again is cheaper than trying to retrofit this particular structure.

Agree on spotless. Loved watching games there, and a few mill will make a.big impact on it

You really dont know anything about other codes or grounds or states do you?
They dont play regularly at ovals. Get over it.
Yes it was a double header.

You really dont know anything about the English language do you?
The NRL play at least one game a year on an oval. That's regular.
I know the G.F. didn't make 80k. 2017 was a total embarassment for the NRL w.r.t. crowds. I know that.
Saying that there bigger crowds in the past - i know that, but we're talking 2017 and into the future.
I agree with you that NRL doesn't need big stadiums but other codes might appreciate bigger stadiums.

The NRL plays regularly and irregularly on ovals.
The NRL have been playing regularly on the SCG for years.
It's a regular occurence.
It's definitely regular.
You can debate how regular but not the absence of regularity.

How many games for each year over the past 10 seasons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back