List Mgmt. Future Father Son prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance of of draft year lol
Tried to compile a list based on what ever information I could find. If anyone could fill in the rest of the gaps, feel free to assist.

Jackson Archer (2021) ✅
Darby Scott (2021) :crossmark:
Jai Makepeace (2021/22) :crossmark:
Thomas Longmire (2021/22):crossmark:

Dylan Makepeace (2022) :crossmark:
Cooper Harvey (2022) ✅

Byron Pickett Jnr (2023) :crossmark:
Lucas Rocca (2023) :crossmark:
Billy Longmire (2023) :crossmark:

Ryder Makepeace (2024)
Will Crocker (2024)
River Stevens (2024)
Lucas McCartney (2024)
Zach Fairley (2025)
Kayde Pickett (2025)
Owen Simpson (2025)
Archer Grant (2025)
Kai Schwass (2025)
Sam Harris (2026)
Aiden McCartney (2026)
Marcus Rocca (2027-2028)
Sasha Demetriou (2027-2028)
Suede Makepeace (2027-2028)

James Rock [2022-2027] TBC

Jack Petrie (2028)
Conor Rawlings (2029)
Hudson Harvey (2030)
Thomas Colbert (~2031)
Noah McMahon (2031)
Ryder Hansen (2031)
Lenny Firrito (2031)
Mason Sinclair (2032)
Lachlan Goldstein (2033)
Max Firrito (2034)
Xavier Cunnington (2034)
Sebastian Gibson (2034)
Jude Swallow (2035)
Cohen Thomas (2035)
Sonny Sinclair (2037)
Flynn Thompson (2037)
Carter Carey (2037)
Charlie Goldstein (2039)
Kobe Cunnington (2039)
Laker Hansen (2030+)
[Unknown name] Hansen (2030+)
[Unknown name] Colbert (2032+)

Ineligible
-------------------------------------
Tyler Welsh (2024) - Son of Scott
Tom Cochrane (2024) - Son of Stuart
Jagger Mooney (2025) - Son of Cameron
Dougie Cochrane (2026)
Kody Lecras (2026)
Ethan Abraham - Son of Winnie
Gary Abraham - Son of Winnie
[Unknown name] Abraham - Son of Winnie
Elijah Anderson (2030) - Son of Jed
Jasiah Anderson (2031) - Son of Jed
Archer Harvey (2025) - Son of Shane
Jett Harvey (2028) - Son of Shane
Slater Harvey (2031) - Son of Shane
Louis Thompson (2021) - Son of Nathan
Benjamin Thompson (2023) - Son of Nathan
Jude Dal Santo (2033)
Hendrix Daw (2037)
Isaiah Hall (2038)
Riley Polec (2038)

Last edited:
When are they eligible?

If we're on the upward trajectory and pies are on a downward spiral it may become easier to sell Arden St.
I thought sav left the pies on bad terms and his kids were north fans
Well Shane has 3 talented boys himself.
Ok better change it to one game then

I thought sav left the pies on bad terms and his kids were north fans

Ok better change it to one game then
You're right he did. I posted this earlier in the thread.
Yeah, from what I’ve read he certainly enjoyed his time more at North. There was an interview with Eugene Arocca talking about when he was deciding whether to take the CEO role with us and Sav’s wife was telling him what a fantastic club we were and what a great experience they’d both had. The way he tells it she really got him over the line.

What I’m trying to say is Marcus Rocca > North Melbourne, make it happen Euge you owe us.

Marcus and Max are both currently in U14’s. Marcus isn’t either a NMFC or Collingwood supporter.
Sav and Marcus attended the North Melbourne Father Son Academy Day in 2023.
Screen Shot 2024-07-24 at 12.46.05 pm.png
They were absent in 2024. However they attended the equivalent day at Collingwood this year. Make of that what you will.
1711075150336.png

It is beyond ridiculous that there is even an option.

John Blakey played 359 games of VFL/AFL footy, 224 of them for us, including 2 premierships. Jason McCartney played over 100 games for us, including one of the most amazing, emotional come backs from a near death experience. Those families are Kangaroos through and through and football families through and through.

The Swans academy is the best place for their sons to develop their footy while their dads continued to be involved in footy in a non footy state, but that is all.

I get when the kids live in that city, play in the academy team, form bonds with friends and team mates they see graduating into the local team, that when their time comes they choose the Swans or whichever northern team. I can understand why Nick Blakey made that choice and if Aiden McCartney makes the same choice, it is something I can understand why a teenager would do, when it is an option.

But it needs to be remembered most kids don't have the option to choose to join the same AFL team as their mates in their home town.

If the player is also F/S eligible, it mean's his dad played at least 100 games of elite level footy, so like you said, that should supersede it all. You are not eligible to join the AFL team of your academy, you come from a football family, the academy had nothing to with you choosing footy over rugby league or whatever else. You are F/S eligible, so you can play for the team your old man played for or you can nominate for the draft like all other junior footballers.
You've got to have neither (F/S, academy) or you've got to have both. And if you're going to have both then you've got to let kids choose.

Personally, I don't feel the sentimental attachment to father-sons. I have enough empathy to understand why lots of supporters love it, but for me I don't give a shit that Naicos is playing for Collingwood. I loved watching his dad play, and I love watching him play but I'd be just as happy seeing what he could do at Gold Coast.

Obviously, I want to see our club exploit the rule in place to maximum effect, but the last thing I want is for them to reduce the qualification to 50 games. I want to see more kids in the open draft, not fewer.

How many years does a kid have to spend in an academy to be eligible to be drafted by the club?

What’s stopping say Sydney from giving jobs to high end prospects parents and swaying them to move to Sydney?

How many years does a kid have to spend in an academy to be eligible to be drafted by the club?

What’s stopping say Sydney from giving jobs to high end prospects parents and swaying them to move to Sydney?

Similar to NGA I believe.

Pretty much have to be in there pre u/16's or maybe even u/15's.

A few have been deemed ineligible around the Murray region for GWS for similar reasons.

The kid would need to be utterly amazing for that commitment that far out. There's plenty in those age groups that look like the next Ablett that have gone undrafted 3-4 years later.

You've got to have neither (F/S, academy) or you've got to have both. And if you're going to have both then you've got to let kids choose.

Personally, I don't feel the sentimental attachment to father-sons. I have enough empathy to understand why lots of supporters love it, but for me I don't give a shit that Naicos is playing for Collingwood. I loved watching his dad play, and I love watching him play but I'd be just as happy seeing what he could do at Gold Coast.

Obviously, I want to see our club exploit the rule in place to maximum effect, but the last thing I want is for them to reduce the qualification to 50 games. I want to see more kids in the open draft, not fewer.
Similar to NGA I believe.

Pretty much have to be in there pre u/16's or maybe even u/15's.

A few have been deemed ineligible around the Murray region for GWS for similar reasons.

The kid would need to be utterly amazing for that commitment that far out. There's plenty in those age groups that look like the next Ablett that have gone undrafted 3-4 years later.
As a principle, I can understand and even support the idea of having a system in place to encourage kids in non-footy states to choose Aussie Rules over other sports.

My issue is there surely needs to be a stricter qualification (or disqualification) process.

I get that a three year old kid with no Aussie Rules history moving from Melbourne to Sydney is going to grow up influenced by rugby league and that the academies would be as relevant to them as to kids born in Sydney. But what about a kid of 12 or 13 that has played a few seasons of junior Aussie Rules before moving to Sydney, are they at risk of being lost to the game? What about a 15 year old that has played some junior rep footy before moving interstate? What about the son of a guy who played over 350 games of VFL/AFL footy?

I don't know exactly where the line needs to be drawn, but surely factoring in a combination of family history in the game, junior participation in an Aussie Rules state and time lived in an Aussie Rules state, there needs to be a cut off.

It seems pretty generous that they only need to be in the academies at 15 or 16 to be eligible, while there are much stricter requirements on NGA academies and F/S eligibilities.

To me, it is a skewed system, if a player isn't F/S eligible because their dad 'only' played 95 games for a club, but a player is northern academy eligible, regardless of any previous footy exposure and history, simply because their family's postcode happens to start with a 2 by the time they turn 15.

As a principle, I can understand and even support the idea of having a system in place to encourage kids in non-footy states to choose Aussie Rules over other sports.

My issue is there surely needs to be a stricter qualification (or disqualification) process.

I get that a three year old kid with no Aussie Rules history moving from Melbourne to Sydney is going to grow up influenced by rugby league and that the academies would be as relevant to them as to kids born in Sydney. But what about a kid of 12 or 13 that has played a few seasons of junior Aussie Rules before moving to Sydney, are they at risk of being lost to the game? What about a 15 year old that has played some junior rep footy before moving interstate? What about the son of a guy who played over 350 games of VFL/AFL footy?

I don't know exactly where the line needs to be drawn, but surely factoring in a combination of family history in the game, junior participation in an Aussie Rules state and time lived in an Aussie Rules state, there needs to be a cut off.

It seems pretty generous that they only need to be in the academies at 15 or 16 to be eligible, while there are much stricter requirements on NGA academies and F/S eligibilities.

To me, it is a skewed system, if a player isn't F/S eligible because their dad 'only' played 95 games for a club, but a player is northern academy eligible, regardless of any previous footy exposure and history, simply because their family's postcode happens to start with a 2 by the time they turn 15.
I posted this in another thread, I think it bears reposting;

Isaac Heeney is everything that is right with the academy system. Nick Blakey is everything that is wrong with the academy system. Either way the Swans win.

Last edited:

I honestly don't mind the Swans academy.

The reason being ... I coached juniors in Northern NSW and probably coached 10 kids who could have played Coates level over about 2 years. None of them played AFL altho at least one should have been a shoe in and he was on the radar of a whole bunch of clubs and another tried out at the Swans for a year as a young indigenous kid competing with Lewis Jetta for a spot.

He had cousins who would have been guns as well but they ended up playing League, one at the Titans for a while before representing Australia in Rugby Sevens (Shannon Walker). No one at North wanted to know about Shannon (we were involved with the GC too at the time, stupid...) and while I was in Melbourne no one at a bunch of other clubs wanted to know about him either. He'd rip games apart on a Saturday and do the same playing League on a Sunday.

His older brother was as good and did his knee playing League for Kyogle but never recovered properly.

Gulden is like those kids. Very talented but wouldn't be playing the game without the Swans academy. Mills and Heeney would be playing some form of sniff bum as well.

I agree Blakey and Jase's kids are different in that they'd always be exposed to the game but until the AFL and AFL NSW get off their useless arses and provide proper pathways for kids across NSW then those academy's are the only pathway those kids have. Its no better than it was 20 years ago otherwise.

So while the AFL is ****en incapable of doing its job properly the Sydney and GWS academies are the only things providing proper access to AFL for NSW kids. (Altho kids on the Far North Coast/Northern Rivers are able to play on the Gold Coast and access its academy.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Blakey and Jase's kids are different in that they'd always be exposed to the game but until the AFL and AFL NSW get off their useless arses and provide proper pathways for kids across NSW then those academy's are the only pathway those kids have. Its no better than it was 20 years ago otherwise.

So while the AFL is ****en incapable of doing its job properly the Sydney and GWS academies are the only things providing proper access to AFL for NSW kids. (Altho kids on the Far North Coast/Northern Rivers are able to play on the Gold Coast and access its academy.)
This is of course the reality of it. My post was in a way quite pointless, as it was only pointing out a lack of fairness in the current system, which of course is irrelevant to the AFL.

The AFL would have no issue and more to the point, actually see the benefit to, the talented son of a 350 game AFL player, playing and promoting the game in a non football state than playing at the off Broadway club his dad played 200+ games and a couple of premierships.

The northern academy clubs are obviously only going to fund a pathway for kids who are eligible to join them, so aside from the integrity of competition (ha!) there is only downside to complicating the eligibility criteria for the AFL, as they would then need to fund and run a secondary talent pathway for kids in those states not eligible for the academies.

Which AFL NGA kids join is directly related to the house they live in. If we want Sav's kid to be in the North Melbourne NGA he needs to move to Melbourne CBD or parts of Wyndham.

I have no doubt that some teams are following the up and coming players and then offering housing opportunities to those kids in their NGA zones (especially Northern academies).

Only the kids who meet the multicultural or indigenous categories can be selected from the NGA (for everyone but QLD and NSW), otherwise they are just getting an AFL pathway opportunity.

Getting back to Sav's kid, he will choose the F/S option which best suits his opportunity to get games. If you're a key position player right now, you're probably choosing the Pies.

Same as Blakey, I would think he had nothing against playing for the Roos but when you stay within the NGA then you get to play with your mates at AFL level. I'm sure this was a key factor for him, and may very well be for McCartney's kids in the future.

I get that a three year old kid with no Aussie Rules history moving from Melbourne to Sydney is going to grow up influenced by rugby league and that the academies would be as relevant to them as to kids born in Sydney. But what about a kid of 12 or 13 that has played a few seasons of junior Aussie Rules before moving to Sydney, are they at risk of being lost to the game?

This is the Jack Buckley situation.

"With Pick 1 in the 2042 AFL Draft, North Melbourne select....."

===​

Wayne Carey set to be a dad again​

The 53-year-old footy legend has revealed his baby news and says he and his partner are “incredibly ecstatic”.

Last edited:

"With Pick 1 in the 2042 AFL Draft, North Melbourne select....."

===​

Wayne Carey set to be a dad again​

The 53-year-old footy legend has revealed his baby news and says he and his partner are “incredibly ecstatic”.
Eventually he'll have be able to provide every team with a Carey.

Request for top draft hopeful to join Port academy​

Former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne player Stuart Cochrane has requested that the AFL permits his sons – one of whom is viewed as a potential pick No.1 in future – be allowed to participate in Port’s academy program as he explores what he believes is Indigenous heritage.

Cochrane has written to AFL football boss Laura Kane requesting that his three sons – Tom, Doug and James – be given access to Port’s next generation academy.

In the letter, Cochrane requested that on the basis that he was “exploring [his Indigenous heritage]” his sons would be allowed to participate in the Port NGA program. He told the AFL he believed he had Indigenous heritage on his maternal side from NSW and Victoria around the Riverina region.
Cochrane, who played 54 games for Port after 50 at North Melbourne and worked at the Power as development coach, has not requested that his sons be tied to Port Adelaide in the draft as other players, such as Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, have been.
He has merely asked that they have the opportunity to train and be coached in the academy for multicultural and Indigenous boys and girls.
For the boys, including the highly talented, 194-centimetre Doug, to be tied to Port in the draft on a bidding system the AFL would need to change the zones for NGA players in South Australia to encompass metropolitan areas. The zones are under review. It would be a boon for Port if the AFL expanded the zones to include in the position of the Cochrane sons, who are not eligible as father-sons at North Melbourne or Port Adelaide.
In the past, players have been ruled eligible after making the kind of application that Cochrane has made.

Tom, 18, is eligible for this year’s draft is viewed as potentially draft-worthy but not a high-end pick. Second son Doug, 16, is an outstanding prospect who won the competition medal for best player in the national championships for under-16s.

We traded a perfectly happy Stuart Cochrane for a completely disinterested Michael Stevens.

And Choppy for perennial pricktease Anvil Brown.

What a time to be alive it was.

We traded a perfectly happy Stuart Cochrane for a completely disinterested Michael Stevens.

And Choppy for perennial pricktease Anvil Brown.

What a time to be alive it was.
Stuart Cochrane may well have been happy but do you know what else he was? A shit footballer.

Request for top draft hopeful to join Sydney academy​

Former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne player Stuart Cochrane has requested that the AFL permits his sons – one of whom is viewed as a potential pick No.1 in future – be allowed to participate in Sydney’s academy program as he explores what he believes is New South Welshman heritage.

Cochrane has written to AFL football boss Laura Kane requesting that his three sons – Tom, Doug and James – be given access to Sydney’s academy.

In the letter, Cochrane requested that on the basis that he was “exploring New South Welshman heritage” his sons would be allowed to participate in the Sydney program. He told the AFL he believed he had New South Welshman heritage on his maternal side stating that his mother once visited the Sydney Opera House and Darling Harbour and may even have caught a ferry to Manly.

For the boys, including the highly talented, 194-centimetre Doug, to be tied to Sydney in the draft on a bidding system the AFL would need to follow the Nick Blakey rule where they gift the Swans talent that they don't have any right to and don't deserve.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Future Father Son prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back