Status
Not open for further replies.

Squizz89

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well I think enough time has passed since trade period and given we are back at training I thought we better fire this one up in anticipation again for next year.

I thought this tweet from Mitch Cleary was interesting the other day. Not sure whether it’s a good thing or a reason for more concern...

After Andy McGrath re-signed today at essendonfc, one player from the top 14 of 2016 draft is yet to extend.

Hugh McCluggage at the Lions. Management has started discussions @SportsdayRadio

So what are they going to do?

Will always be speculation – some of the better players and player managers will use the suggestion of a return home for leverage come new contract time. It is the clubs job to sell the optimism/benefits of an extension. I think there is still a strong consensus of opinion that suggests a majority of fans still hold a higher opinion of ‘one team’ players.

Generally, better players will hold out and lesser players will jump at a renewal. Maybe time to create a thread that really throws up some speculation – Why don’t clubs start paying/gifting/bribing player managers? I wonder if it’s been done? Could these under-the-table, brown paper-bag incentives be hidden in club financials? LOOKING AT YOU CARLTON!

Honestly if there was another wave of home sickness or whatever else causing high draft picks to leave I will stop following the AFL. No point investing in a club up here as a fan and dealing with all the gayfl dickheadedness of nrl supporters if our own team dont buy into it after we have gone a long way to improving team and corporate culture at this club. Generally Pleased Gill can be generally pleased with my ceased membership.

Why is this thread necessary when the above players have a whole year to run on their deal?
Umm probably because of the 6 players listed in the poll. The fact our retention of high picks in particular is complete ****house and we know we will be targeted by the Vic media with articles after articles until they’ve signed, I thought we should probably have one point to discuss it.

Umm probably because of the 6 players listed in the poll. The fact our retention of high picks in particular is complete ****house and we know we will be targeted by the Vic media with articles after articles until they’ve signed, I thought we should probably have one point to discuss it.

There comes a time where we must move on from the GH5. If you look at the complete overhaul of changes from that faithful time to now, it is immense.

I'm sorry you're struggling to focus on the future, but all you're doing is feeding negativity to yourself unnecessarily.

You're better off waiting till' mid year, and if both haven't signed on then the time to worry is upon us. Right now the boys are absolutely loving their time at the club and the only thing to worry about is them getting through the preseason unscathed as we want them both to line up round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back