What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

to not lose to the drug cheats in round 23 and to kick goals instead of points and not choke against lolingwood would be a good start

and for Ashcroft to be given the year off I know its not going to happen but he is way to important to have another Doedee and I know it happened during training not in a game

Only one game, and we've likely left our run too late, but I dunno, that was probably the first I've watched us this season (even taking into account that 100 point win) where our game just seemed to 'click' a bit more.

We looked a lot more like 'us' again, a top 4 level team.

Good contributions across each line, solid tackling and pressure, Harris doing what he does, tall forwards looking dangerous and Lach dominating in the middle.

On the downside Charlie probably the only 'A' grader a bit off, but he's too good of a player to not find form eventually

Also very noticeable with Mckenna (despite best efforts) distributing off the backline in place of Kiddy.

It may not be our year, but I'd reckon most teams in the 8 would be spewing to play us first week of the finals if we managed to somehow sneak in

So assuming we don't go all the way, what do I want for the rest of the year? To cause some serious carnage and take down a few old foes on the way out.
'

I want Logan Morris to play every game for the rest of the season.

He’s certainly not going to be dropped on form, so the only reason he’d not play is because of injury or being rested. He also looks like he can run out games easily with his current role. It’s not like he’s being inserted into the midfield yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my default setting is that with 7 matches we have already failed to win so far this season, the most games we can win is 16. That many wins were required to make the top 4 last year and so that remains what I want out of the next 11 games.

Last year, a record of 17-6 was required to make the top 2, so on that basis, top 2 is no longer achievable for us.

HOWEVER

After 13 games last year, 2nd (that was Port at that stage) had a record of 11-2 @ 117.0%.

This year, after 13 games, 2nd (Carlton) has a record of 9-4 @ 109.8 - significantly inferior to 2023.

This means that provided we are able to string some (ok, a lot) of wins together, top 2 may still not be out of the question. Particularly if we are able to beat the sides above us (probably all of them) along the way.

Having said all that, this is far too optimistic for my standard modus operandi 😂 so we will probably continue along in a similar vein, dropping unloseable games before shocking everyone with a once-a-month performance like what we saw on Friday.

It will leave us in, at best, a maddening scrap to squeeze into 8th spot, which I have absolutely no interest in, UNLESS at least 6 (I plucked this number out of the ether) of our players would be playing in their first final. I think they would benefit from the experience. Otherwise I don't care. I do not believe a non-Victorian team can win the flag from 5-8.*

So as far as I'm concerned we go hell for leather until we lose another game. Then, once we lose again, we start rotating the team a bit more, giving senior team game time to Sharp, Brain, our 3 mid season draftees, Henry Smith, and might as well give Kalin Lane a Hail Mary as well. Spend the rest of the season throwing darts at the board and who knows, we might hit a bullseye or two.

*The one exception to this would be if Gold Coast made the top 4 and we were to play them in a Semi or Preliminary Final. This would break up our travel and make 4 wins in September ever-so-slightly feasible.

So my default setting is that with 7 matches we have already failed to win so far this season, the most games we can win is 16. That many wins were required to make the top 4 last year and so that remains what I want out of the next 11 games.

Last year, a record of 17-6 was required to make the top 2, so on that basis, top 2 is no longer achievable for us.

HOWEVER

After 13 games last year, 2nd (that was Port at that stage) had a record of 11-2 @ 117.0%.

This year, after 13 games, 2nd (Carlton) has a record of 9-4 @ 109.8 - significantly inferior to 2023.

This means that provided we are able to string some (ok, a lot) of wins together, top 2 may still not be out of the question. Particularly if we are able to beat the sides above us (probably all of them) along the way.

Having said all that, this is far too optimistic for my standard modus operandi 😂 so we will probably continue along in a similar vein, dropping unloseable games before shocking everyone with a once-a-month performance like what we saw on Friday.

It will leave us in, at best, a maddening scrap to squeeze into 8th spot, which I have absolutely no interest in, UNLESS at least 6 (I plucked this number out of the ether) of our players would be playing in their first final. I think they would benefit from the experience. Otherwise I don't care. I do not believe a non-Victorian team can win the flag from 5-8.*

So as far as I'm concerned we go hell for leather until we lose another game. Then, once we lose again, we start rotating the team a bit more, giving senior team game time to Sharp, Brain, our 3 mid season draftees, Henry Smith, and might as well give Kalin Lane a Hail Mary as well. Spend the rest of the season throwing darts at the board and who knows, we might hit a bullseye or two.

*The one exception to this would be if Gold Coast made the top 4 and we were to play them in a Semi or Preliminary Final. This would break up our travel and make 4 wins in September ever-so-slightly feasible.
Personally, I think we will become a serious threat when we beat Sydney in Round 19.
Taking our winning streak to 7 in a row.

HOWEVER

At this point in time a win against the Saints is my first concern. That will even the win/loss ledger at the Gabba.
We should get that win as we are playing better the last 5 games, but it has been a strange year.

I am still hoping we make the 8 as it is good for membership and sponsors.
If we look like making the 8, finishing 5th/6th will obviously be best as it will give us a home game.

HOWEVER

According to Wheelo, 15 wins will likely be enough for top 4 this year. 1718180681756.png

HOWEVER

It so depends on who the opposition is. Finish 8th and play a 5th place Essendon, I'd back us in.

Otherwise totally agree with you. Still in the running so keep trying the most for this year, start to lose and its a total reassess of back to preparing for next year

Let's just go undefeated for the rest of the year and call it a day.

Nuney what have I told you. We take it one week at a time not half a season at the time.

Just wanted to leave this here now, before our next loss and everyone jumps back into this thread... Did anyone else notice how after our win over the Bulldogs, Fages mentioned we took a fair few sore blokes into the Hawthorn game and the "bye came at a good time for us"?

I found this a bit concerning myself. I mean, that was the last of a 9 game stretch since our last bye, and we had "a lot of sore blokes".

Do we really reckon we're gonna be going better than that by the end of this 12 game stretch we're in now?

Just wanted to leave this here now, before our next loss and everyone jumps back into this thread... Did anyone else notice how after our win over the Bulldogs, Fages mentioned we took a fair few sore blokes into the Hawthorn game and the "bye came at a good time for us"?

I found this a bit concerning myself. I mean, that was the last of a 9 game stretch since our last bye, and we had "a lot of sore blokes".

Do we really reckon we're gonna be going better than that by the end of this 12 game stretch we're in now?
Yes

I think🤔

Hopefully 🙏

Dunno 🤷‍♂️

Pre Finals bye will come at the right time... if we make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back