What do you want out of season 24?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think there's a real chance we'll finish 5th/6th last. Hopefully this gives us a pick prior to Levi being bid on. If we snatch a good player, as well as draft Levi, bring back a healthy Kiddy and Will next season...look out. I wouldn't rule out a mini rebuild - some chatter on SEN about interest in Charlie and Hugh. I wouldn't trade Hugh, but if we got a great deal for Charlie, I feel we could cover his spot.

I still think there's a real chance we'll finish 5th/6th last. Hopefully this gives us a pick prior to Levi being bid on. If we snatch a good player, as well as draft Levi, bring back a healthy Kiddy and Will next season...look out. I wouldn't rule out a mini rebuild - some chatter on SEN about interest in Charlie and Hugh. I wouldn't trade Hugh, but if we got a great deal for Charlie, I feel we could cover his spot.
unless we finish bottom 4 chances of getting ahead of the levi bid are negligible.

I'm aligned... but take SEN chatter with a grain of salt. Given we're having a bit of a struggle, they're giving away our players on a daily basis. Hugh, Berry, Charlie, Rayner...
If the season doesn't improve and Hugh/Berry remain unsigned there's some truth to it, but no point worrying until season end.

I want a good draw for 2025 which I guess means I don't want us to play finals because I think we're no chance after the Hawks loss. If we win all our home games and then have competitive losses away then I think that's a realistic aim for the rest of the year. It's hard to imagine Rayner, Hipwood, Cameron and Bailey all either returning to good form or getting their confidence back.

The guys in the roar deal podcast talked about Fagan using other teams as motivation for turning around their form. I'd like to believe that the team can turn it around from here and have a Carlton/GWS like run in the 2nd half but even a 3 quarter effort against a top 8 team seems like a dream ATM. Carlton finished 9th and GWS 16th in 2022 so the draw they had would have been significantly easier than what we have now. Having the pressure of being the previous years grand finalist is not really comparable to the position those teams were in.

I want a good draw for 2025 which I guess means I don't want us to play finals because I think we're no chance after the Hawks loss. If we win all our home games and then have competitive losses away then I think that's a realistic aim for the rest of the year. It's hard to imagine Rayner, Hipwood, Cameron and Bailey all either returning to good form or getting their confidence back.

The guys in the roar deal podcast talked about Fagan using other teams as motivation for turning around their form. I'd like to believe that the team can turn it around from here and have a Carlton/GWS like run in the 2nd half but even a 3 quarter effort against a top 8 team seems like a dream ATM. Carlton finished 9th and GWS 16th in 2022 so the draw they had would have been significantly easier than what we have now. Having the pressure of being the previous years grand finalist is not really comparable to the position those teams were in.
If we miss out on finals, I hope we finish sixth last and get our double ups against two of the bottom six and fingers crossed the Suns finish top six and get them as our double up from the top bracket and two from the middle bracket. If we can’t make something happen next year, I’m not sure we will unless something drastic happens.

unless we finish bottom 4 chances of getting ahead of the levi bid are negligible.
I agree. But going on ladder position alone and remaining matches (and assuming guaranteed wins against the teams currently below us) - we may only snag another 4 wins for the rest of the season. Having at us 8 - 14 for the year. Sure, might beat a couple above us, but there may also be a couple surprise "sure thing" losses too in there (and we've seen enough of those this year).

If we did get a decent draft pick (say #5-7) but still not enough to get in before a pick on Levi in the top 4, you'd hope the team were savvy and managed to wrangle something for next year via trade to have us hit the draft nicely in 2025, as well as accumulate the requisite lot of later/surplus picks this year to cover Levi on points alone.

I am still hoping we can pull of something miraculous come draft night. Something nice to dream about anyways, given the horror show of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Hodge on SEN this morning still thinks the Lions are not out of contention to win the flag this season, mentioned that we are number 1 for getting the ball into the F50... tidy up that and the Lions can beat anyone said Hodgy, did say it will be very tough from where they are right now though.

The premiership is back on the menu, boys!

Yell Lord Of The Rings GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Still have 7 games against top 10 teams this season but I can't see us losing again until at least when Clugs next contract expires
100% agree with the sentiment but when did the top 10 become a thing? Especially when 9th isn't Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back