Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

The lord Jesus tells me that every man deserves a second chance in life to redeem themselves Mark Thompson the new Western Bulldogs assistant coach in 2024?

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is this bait? Hahaha

Was he that good of a coach anyway. Probably coached the best team ever assembled with stacked footy department (the weapon might of helped also).

Directors are voted in by members.

Directors are usually nominated to stand but members vote them in.

If you are a member you can vote. I would guess most members are not that interested and don’t bother voting.
This is not entirely correct. Reading from the FFC constitution we have 11 Directors: President, CEO (appointed by the Board), 3 Directors appointed by the Board and can be reappointed at the Boards discretion, and out of the 6 remaining Directors 2 shall be elected by the members for 3 year terms. In essence only 2 new Directors are appointed by the members each year.

What chance do we have of insisting objectivity, appropriate communication and transparency relating to the Clubs performance.

This is not entirely correct. Reading from the FFC constitution we have 11 Directors: President, CEO (appointed by the Board), 3 Directors appointed by the Board and can be reappointed at the Boards discretion, and out of the 6 remaining Directors 2 shall be elected by the members for 3 year terms. In essence only 2 new Directors are appointed by the members each year.

What chance do we have of insisting objectivity, appropriate communication and transparency relating to the Clubs performance.

Chances are about the same as having a proper review. Zilch.

The lord Jesus tells me that every man deserves a second chance in life to redeem themselves Mark Thompson the new Western Bulldogs assistant coach in 2024?

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you see him on footy classified during the week? all the best to him but he looks to have some genuine demons.
Basically stated he’s fallen out of love with footy now too.

All quiet on the western front when it comes to things going on at the club.

VFL exit interviews happened this week, not much to report other than Cody Raaks old-man attended his exit interview and I'm told, lost his s**t at club officials.
Why did Raaks old man attend his exit interview?

Did he think he could suplex the powers that be into submission and reverse a decision that had already been made. Or just to have a moan about how wrong they were doing their job and assessing his sons place in the team?

Regardless. If as reported, its a sad reflection on the pair of them.

His son was always a very long shot to make it given he is a tweener who has many of the same attributes of this boards subject du jour. Buku Khamis a player who also cannot find a place in the team, but has shown considerably more. Raak from what Ive observed has nice hands and kick but just doesn't impact games on the same level or have the athletic profile that would ever see him transition to the game at the highest level.

We could (and do) quibble about the order or the names, but list management is a brutal but necessary business and its rookies like Raak at the very end of the list who are going to be in the gun at the end of each season. It sucks for them, but thats the system across the entire competition. It chews on them and then spits them out. The problem with our club is that it generally takes way too much rumination for it to happen. So much so that we should consider changing our name to the Western Cows.

Other VFL listed players also highlighted lack of development, lack of opportunity, and overall unhappiness with how things are being run.
In other news: Water is wet and space is infinite.

Internal review is still going, Grant and Bevo have been cleared as far as I'm told, doubt we'll see any changes short of coaches and fitness staff.
See above.

Last edited:
Michael Barlow joining as an assistant? Heard a whisper today but my source was not 100% sure.
He'd be a good get. Built his playing career the hard way. I liked what I heard of him during his post career media stint and he's clearly doing a great Job at Werribee.

We'll probably find out once their campaign is done in a week or so.

Unless Port pull this one out of the fire, I wonder if it’s the death knell for game plans that focus on clearance/territory dominance and reliance on a front half game. The best teams in the comp move the ball fast and transition from defense, they don’t rely on stoppage and forward half intercepts to score.

The game has moved on. Unfortunately only Kochie and the bulldogs board don’t realise it so Bevo and Hinkley will keep on flogging a dead horse.

Unless Port pull this one out of the fire, I wonder if it’s the death knell for game plans that focus on clearance/territory dominance and reliance on a front half game. The best teams in the comp move the ball fast and transition from defense, they don’t rely on stoppage and forward half intercepts to score.

The game has moved on. Unfortunately only Kochie and the bulldogs board don’t realise it so Bevo and Hinkley will keep on flogging a dead horse.

So you're saying we should merge?

One way to get Butterrs I guess.

Play our home games cross-border at, say Bordertown and Kaniva alternating, call ourselves Border Force.

Bevo and Hinkley co-coaches - what could go wrong?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t disagree but GWS built the big lead by dominating in the clearances and through the midfield.

Possessions: 214-136
Contested possessions: 81-63
Clearances: 29-12
Inside 50s: 35-26

Don’t have a source so not 100% sure on the accuracy but thought I heard on the radio pregame that Port also conceded 13 goals from stoppages against Brisbane.

Edit: I guess your point is that you can’t structure your entire game plan around winning the clearances and you need multiple avenues to keep scoring

Watching GWS do a number on Port ala 2016 is adding to my frustration around our side!
I said weeks ago when our season was so obviously petering out that I hope that they go on to win the flag.

Watching their journey .I hope that they emulate our run and win it completely on the road and against the odds.

Go GWS.

I said weeks ago when our season was so obviously petering out that I hope that they go on to win the flag.

Watching their journey .I hope that they emulate our run and win it completely on the road and against the odds.

Go GWS.
I hope they win it but Greene gets suspended after the prelim and misses out.

For some optimism in here for next year,

We beat 3/4 Preliminary finalists and won 3/5 games against them including choking on a 4th with our 2 losses combining for 17 points.

We are not that far off

We also lost to the worst team in two decades with finals on the line.

We beat 3/4 Preliminary finalists and won 3/5 games against them including choking on a 4th with our 2 losses combining for 17 points.

We are not that far off

Correct which is what our issue was mostly this year the point is our best is more then good enough

I’ve watched most finals game’s thinking the same.

Only 2-3 games all season that we were not in it at all. 2 of those Rd1 and 2.

Large parts of games against most finalists we’d put ourselves in positions to win (some comfortably), only to shit the bed and drop right off.

GWS the one that is highlighted the most now. Looking like a real threat to win it all. We made them look 2nd rate for more than 2 quarters, this was during their huge run of form, and should’ve been up by 9 goals if not for our goal kicking yips.

Agree, we’re not that far off. Pretty excited for what next season brings with a coaching panel and list clean out.

Large parts of games against most finalists we’d put ourselves in positions to win (some comfortably), only to s**t the bed and drop right off.

GWS the one that is highlighted the most now. Looking like a real threat to win it all. We made them look 2nd rate for more than 2 quarters, this was during their huge run of form, and should’ve been up by 9 goals if not for our goal kicking yips.

Agree, we’re not that far off. Pretty excited for what next season brings with a coaching panel and list clean out.
We kept GWS to 2 goals at HT Brisbane to 2 goals at HT and Carlton to 1 goal at HT.

The signs are well and truly there that we are good enough to compete just need to clear out a few more of the plodders hit the draft and get a competitive coaching group again

Large parts of games against most finalists we’d put ourselves in positions to win (some comfortably), only to s**t the bed and drop right off.

Bevo’s pre game and post game interviews from the West Coast Eagles game shows he really wasn’t in the correct head space to lead the team then. If he stays hopefully he can sort himself out before he leads the young men under his tutelage. We could be I preliminary finals this week if …

We are not that far off

I know you are not saying this but no point looking at games in isolation and not putting them in perspective of the whole year or even 2 years.
IMO we are much further away to closer to a top 4 side.

Whilst confusion reigns at the Kennel we are wasting some really good years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back