Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a fool would suggest that our side as it stands is top 4 material.

No side that played two guys who were last minute additions to the list to fill the gaping holes of our wings can ever be considered a serious threat.

We're a side that is reliant on an elite core in the middle. A potent but dysfunctional forward line that leaks worse than a week old depends and a defence thats built on a 32 year olds foundation that for the most part is all icing and no cake. These issues are compounded by a coach who is inflexibly stuck to a mindset and game plan like a barnacle on a rock.

The overall list is mediocre and the coach proved in the second half of the season when the draw kept opening up to our advantage that he no longer has any idea how to get the best out of them.

This mess has us exactly were we should be. Outside looking in, stroking ourselves thinking that if for a bit of luck we could've made the top 4 or won the premiership.

Its going to take quite the turnaround in thinking from top to bottom at the club to stop us from careening off the looming cliff.

And the only signal we're getting from the top thus far is one of tinkering around the edges and a message of she'll be right.
Thing is, we got damn close to top 4 regardless of how you see our list.

I think I count 6 games we bottled / had every right to win.

Win just 2 of those we're stand alone 5th.

Win 4 and we're top 4.

Win 4 and we're top 4.
We lost 6 games by 12 points or less which doesn't include the 2 against Port and first against the cats we also threw away

Former Port Adelaide Premiership winner and Club Champion Brett Montgomery has joined the GIANTS’ coaching staff I have always believed that Brett Montgomery was very influential in the Bulldogs winning the 2016 GF as a great assistant coach. If you look at recent form of the Giants I don't think I was wrong and him leaving I hear was the first signs of Bevo being a control freak and the club turning a blind eye to that

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly reckon we need a bit of a rejig for our so called ‘elite’ midfield. I would love to try Richards in there, get Westy in there, have a top draftee hopefully McKercher in there. Other clubs midfields seem to be much more dynamic than ours. It might mean some tough calls on some players, but the team comes first for me.

Richards in midfield could work but I think we desperately need him at half back

Former Port Adelaide Premiership winner and Club Champion Brett Montgomery has joined the GIANTS’ coaching staff I have always believed that Brett Montgomery was very influential in the Bulldogs winning the 2016 GF as a great assistant coach. If you look at recent form of the Giants I don't think I was wrong and him leaving I hear was the first signs of Bevo being a control freak and the club turning a blind eye to that

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app
monty was let go early 2016

One team in the top 4 has Tom McDonald as their number one key forward. Another has Trent McKenzie as full back
Neither of those sides is going to finish the season amongst the top 4 ranked sides in the competition.

Like us.

Our list minus Dunkley was in a grand final 2 years ago.
Thanks for reinforcing points I made about the importance of Dunkley at the start of the season.

They weren't very popular at the time.
In that time Naughton, English, JUH and Richards all have improved out of sight and we have a way better KPD in Liam Jones than we had in 2021.
Errr...You're just saying what I said.
Our team should be competing for top 4 at a bare minimum. Not even making top 8 is a disaster.
Again, you're just reinforcing my point. Ours is a team and a coach that had every opportunity to finish top 4 and fluffed every single one of them. Ipso facto. They aren't a top 4 side nor are they a top 8 side. What they are is a side that is currently on their 3rd week of holidays.

No amount of revision, magical thinking or could've beens changes this
Every roster has its holes, a coaches job is to get the most out of it.
Im happy to pile onto Beveridge after what happened during the second half of the season. Indeed I laid as much of the blame at his feet in my op. However this boards unwillingness to accept the role that the players had in the disaster that we watched over the last 8 weeks of the season speaks to a wilful blindness.

A cooked coach out of ideas. Holes and all.

A genuine top 4 side would've found a way to a least fall into the 8.

So dramatic.
But so correct.

Win 4 and we're top 4.
Thats true, if we measured success in ifs, buts and maybes.

Unfortunately the reality dictates we use a binary one of wins and loses.

In that time Naughton, English, JUH and Richards all have improved out of sight and we have a way better KPD in Liam Jones than we had in 2021.

Our team should be competing for top 4 at a bare minimum. Not even making top 8 is a disaster.

Every roster has its holes, a coaches job is to get the most out of it.
Dunkley is very good at what he does and added balance to our midfield. Us as a top 4 team minus Dunkley is not a top 4 team. Big loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win 4 and we're top 4.
I know what you’re getting at but we didn’t win those 4. That’s the problem, it’s not just luck. With no change it’s likely get worse than better.

Neither of those sides is going to finish the season amongst the top 4 ranked sides in the competition.

Like us.

Thanks for reinforcing points I made about the importance of Dunkley at the start of the season.

They weren't very popular at the time.

Errr...You're just saying what I said.

Again, you're just reinforcing my point. Ours is a team and a coach that had every opportunity to finish top 4 and fluffed every single one of them. Ipso facto. They aren't a top 4 side nor are they a top 8 side. What they are is a side that is currently on their 3rd week of holidays.

No amount of revision, magical thinking or could've beens changes this

Im happy to pile onto Beveridge after what happened during the second half of the season. Indeed I laid as much of the blame at his feet in my op. However this boards unwillingness to accept the role that the players had in the disaster that we watched over the last 8 weeks of the season speaks to a wilful blindness.

A cooked coach out of ideas. Holes and all.

A genuine top 4 side would've found a way to a least fall into the 8.

But so correct.

Thats true, if we measured success in ifs, buts and maybes.

Unfortunately the reality dictates we use a binary one of wins and loses.
A year and a half ago. This list without Lobb & Jones played and beat Collingwood. Smashed them in fact. Made them look like an average VFL team. They still had Grundy then as well.

They literally changed their game plan/ tactics after that game and haven't looked back.

A year a ago, GWS under Cameron looked like they would be outside of the 8 for years. Change of coach and game plan/ tactics and they're also flying.

No team has a perfect list. And yes, the players have to take some of the heat for the losses.
But this list can and should be aiming at top 4 for at least another couple of years. After that I fear that a few of our key players will be past their peak.

P.s. anybody that disagrees with this post is a fool.

We've lost two B&F winners since that GF and Keath & Duryea have declined sharply

Every serious threat for a flag has an excellent intercept marking player - we didn't have a regular intercept marking player in our best 22 many weeks (TOB injured & mediocre, Crozier past his best).

I think we can turn it all around with just a few additions, but if we don't make those additions we'll tread water.

I'm not surprised by that

Why? Raak has been given plenty of time on the list. Nothing more than an average VFL player - never did anything to warrant selection.

Should he have been given a game anyway? At whose expense?

Sadly, was not good enough. Let’s see if anyone else picks him up….

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've lost two B&F winners since that GF and Keath & Duryea have declined sharply

Every serious threat for a flag has an excellent intercept marking player - we didn't have a regular intercept marking player in our best 22 many weeks (TOB injured & mediocre, Crozier past his best).

I think we can turn it all around with just a few additions, but if we don't make those additions we'll tread water.
I think we have two intercept mark options on the list that are ready to go from next year.

JOD is capable of this role. The VFL games he played were exceptional. He would intercept everything before he got fatigued - I still can’t believe they played him as a foward when he first got a call up when he’d only played defense in vfl.

And if we can change the way we play and can slow ball movement down Sam Darcy is the other one. Our system would need to be good for this to work as he will get exposed for pace if we leave the opp forward line open.

Given we have invested in Lobb, I think it makes most sense to play Darcy as a defender. Darcy is also far too good for vfl.

I’m probably more concerned about both wings, high half forwards, a midfielder (with a defensive mindset and speed) and the lock down defender.

Looks like bevo is not going anywhere.

We are just about going chips all in on Bev. If this doesn’t work and we don’t perform next season we will lose some a grade talent with the players we have out of contract.

I hope this is the right call.

Win 4 and we're top 4.
We lost 6 games by 12 points or less which doesn't include the 2 against Port and first against the cats we also threw away
This is all well and good.. However what happens if we give every other club around us the win for the games they lost by 2 goals or less aswell?

I think you will find just about every team around us had atleast 4 losses by a couple of goals or less.

We aren't the only team losing close games. I'm sure consensus on all other team boards is they also let a few games slip.

It has been good to see some change happen with a few of the assistants and the head of fitness and conditioning departing. I wish them all well.

The important thing now will be too see if we replace them with the right people. I really want us to rethink our game plan going into the 2024 season. Would love us to play a more corridor attacking style like the Pies do under Macrae but you need a buy in from the players and will require greater fitness levels.

Bevo really needs to lean on those around him much more and we know that this can change a footy club for the better when that happens. A few examples Hardwick at the Tigers and Goodwin at the Demons that resulted in premiership success at those clubs.

The question is will Bevo be agile to that type of change.

Richards in the centre, now this thread has entered nuffy level.
For a board that hates the coach because he plays players out of position, we sure like to suggest playing players out of position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back