Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

He been thrown around, years wasted, finally settles and looks like a potential future AA and people want to move him.
The game is won and lost in the centre. We have the Bont and a 30 plus Libba. Treloar is slowing down, Macrae and Daniel don't cut it in the current pace dominate game. We can draft yet realistically it takes a few years for them to come on. Its easier to replace a half back than a gun onballer.
I would play Richards in the centre from round 1 next year. We didn't make the finals. Doing the same old same old is not going to improve us. We need to improve our onball and give Bont more support. That support needs skill, strength and pace. Richards is the only 1 on our list at the moment who fits the bill (depressing yet that's another discussion). We need more pace into the side all round. He is a great half back we all know that yet what could he become is the next question we need to answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love the club to get Issac Smith to be some sort of development coach for wingers and potential wingers. He could teach Baker, Poulter, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale and Bailey Smith even teach Ed Richards how to play the role if needed. He has 4 flags in the position and a Norm Smith as a winger. If he was really keen he could pull on the boots for a few games too? He would emphasise the fitness levels needed for the role, and all the key positioning needed up and down the field. His insight would be invaluable.

I'll take what we have done under Bevo over what Port or Brisbane have done with all their "top 4" finishes

My point is for all the talk of “if things had gone our way we would have finished top 4” - well things haven’t gone our way for 8 years and I’m very doubtful we’ll finish top 4 next year .

We lost a few key backs to injuries but our mids and forwards were durable last year . Apart from a consistent patch mid season we never looked like top 4. Should coulda maybe - it doesn’t happen .

My point is for all the talk of “if things had gone our way we would have finished top 4” - well things haven’t gone our way for 8 years and I’m very doubtful we’ll finish top 4 next year .

We lost a few key backs to injuries but our mids and forwards were durable last year . Apart from a consistent patch mid season we never looked like top 4. Should coulda maybe - it doesn’t happen .

8 years? We played off in a GF 2 years ago.

We won a flag and made another GF in that time again I will take that over what Brisbane and Port have done with their continual home finals in the same period

Couple of posters and i mentioned this a while back

Geez, this would be the great time to get Michael Barlow on our coaching list
Taking Werribee to the Grand Final as a non-powerhouse VFL club is remarkable

8 years? We played off in a GF 2 years ago.
Sorry I should have clarified, regular season .

I agree Bev can be a magnificent finals coach . But lacks consistency over the course of a season.

We should have in 2021 but had an inexplicable fadeaway just like this year. When teams and clubs do this it is mental softness.
In fairness we lost our number 1 goal kicker and beloved team mate with an ACL with 3 rounds to go and a time keeping error afforded Brisbane the chance they needed to drop us out of the top 4 in the last game of the round in 2021. Then bounced all over the country in Covid protocols to make the Grand final? But I think fade outs late in the last 2 years point to an issue be it mental or physical weakness?

We won a flag and made another GF in that time again I will take that over what Brisbane and Port have done with their continual home finals in the same period
These coaching / club performance arguments have been argued repeatedly for months. Feels like we’re just dug into trench debating with nobody going anywhere.

Nobody can possibly deny that our GF/flag record going back to 2015 is better than Brisbane’s or Port’s. It’s a verifiable fact and we’re all grateful for it … but how does it inform our current debate? That in 8 seasons since our flag we had one extraordinary finals series in an extraordinary asterisk of an AFL year that was uniquely shaped by Covid? Or that Bevo is an erratic genius who can get remarkable results maybe once every 4-5 years? Or that despite consistently good coaching our players are woefully inconsistent?

The past can tell us only so much. The 10 year history is useful for identifying certain patterns. The more recent past for identifying current trajectory. Our immediate concern has to be whether we are going to be finalists and hopefully top 4 next year, and whether we are getting as much as we should be getting from what talent we happen to have on our list. Going back to 2016 doesn’t help much in regard to these questions. And it’s even debatable whether 2021 does.

Knowing what we know right now I’d rather be in Brisbane’s position for at least the next couple of years … including the next fortnight. Not sure I’d swap with Port though.

Of course this can all change quite quickly as we saw in 2015-16 with the Dogs or with Richmond (2017) or Collingwood (2022). So despite a disappointing two years we just have to hope the club can do what’s required to arrest the current trajectory.

So far I’m not seeing it. Let’s watch what unfolds over the next month or two. 🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back