Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Actions speak a whole lot louder than words.

The fact that we can't seem to land any coaches means there's a problem with us, not the coaches available.

Is it Bevo? Is it Grant? Who knows. But the board need to be asking questions.

I suggest an external review to find out why we haven’t attracted and have been knocked back by so many assistant coaches.

I wonder what the feedback would be and I wonder what would come to the surface.

I would have thought that any appointment would be great news and we would announce it as soon as possible. The longer it goes without any announcement worries me.
I'm hearing announcement will be made at 3:01pm first Tuesday in November.

Last edited:
Were we not advised that the total coaching squad will be announced together. Cool the jets and stop putting our club down.
We weren’t advised anything which is why there’s so much haste from supporters.

We had a little bit of info from a poster on BF we wanted to announce a couple at the BNF which didn’t happen and radio silence from the club.

So yeah no surprises people are annoyed

Ziebell going to the Tigers as assistant coach.
Why can’t we pick up a recently retired player to add to our coaching ranks.
There’s a plethora of them the last couple of seasons.
They would still be the same thing as Spangher. An inexperienced coach. And we will be back to being a coaching apprenticeship school. I'd rather we recruit a team of coaches, that have spent some time in the role, and gained a good reputation.

That being said also. Not all good/great players become good/great coaches. And many good/great coaches were not good/great players themselves. In fact some have never even played at professional level, in various sports across the world. A coaching and playing brain are two different things.

No problem with raw coaches if we were a bottom six team a long way out from the top. But with where out list is at, I'd prefer to go the proven route. Or don't mind having one freshly retired player in a role, if we have a strong and experienced team around them for support.

I wouldn't mind a Selwood of all types if we had a free reign at an ex player. Cats midfield have been dominant in their play style for almost 15 years until he retired, many under his leadership. Might finally get our structures right. But sadly he is not available / we cannot afford.

They would still be the same thing as Spangher. An inexperienced coach. And we will be back to being a coaching apprenticeship school. I'd rather we recruit a team of coaches, that have spent some time in the role, and gained a good reputation.

That being said also. Not all good/great players become good/great coaches. And many good/great coaches were not good/great players themselves. In fact some have never even played at professional level, in various sports across the world. A coaching and playing brain are two different things.

No problem with raw coaches if we were a bottom six team a long way out from the top. But with where out list is at, I'd prefer to go the proven route. Or don't mind having one freshly retired player in a role, if we have a strong and experienced team around them for support.

I wouldn't mind a Selwood of all types if we had a free reign at an ex player. Cats midfield have been dominant in their play style for almost 15 years until he retired, many under his leadership. Might finally get our structures right. But sadly he is not available / we cannot afford.

That’s exactly what I was getting at, an elite recently retired player who has a footy brain. Surely we can have one on our panel who’s coming through the coaching ranks.
And by the way I’ve survived the Royce Hart coaching disaster so I know all too well about champion players not automatically making great coaches 😉

I wouldn't mind a Selwood of all types if we had a free rein at an ex player. Cats midfield have been dominant in their play style for almost 15 years until he retired, many under his leadership. Might finally get our structures right. But sadly he is not available / we cannot afford.
He’s probably a development coach to be fair, Spangher came straight into a line coaching role. Plus he had a fair few years out of the game in between.

Spangher walking straight into a line role was & still is the issue, I’m more than happy to bring in recently retired good footy minds with no coaching experience.

That’s exactly what I was getting at, an elite recently retired player who has a footy brain. Surely we can have one on our panel who’s coming through the coaching ranks.
And by the way I’ve survived the Royce Hart coaching disaster so I know all too well about champion players not automatically making great coaches 😉
Those stories by you old timers (joking), give me nightmares.

Actually makes me grateful that for most of my time in this world since emerging from the womb, sharing the world from Wallace to Bevo now. I think we only had two bad periods, post Wallace and post Eade. But for the most part, we have had teams with winning records most seasons, made heaps of finals, two Grand Finals, and one Premiership. That is a pretty good stat line compared to the history of the club, with many fans having seen some pretty dark days across its history. And had some pretty long down periods as well.

Of those good teams we have had in history, many ended up being so short lived. Our form the past 25 years has been pretty good compared to more than half of the league.

My first game in person was during the Eade era as a kid. Feels weird to say as a Bulldog fan these days, that you're used to finals.

Last edited:
Those stories by you old timers (joking), give me nightmares.

Actually makes me grateful that for most of my time in this world since emerging from the womb, sharing the world from Wallace to Bevo now. I think we only had two bad periods, post Wallace and post Eade. But for the most part, we have had teams with winning records most seasons, made heaps of finals, two Grand Finals, and one Premiership. That is a pretty good stat line compared to the history of the club, having seen some pretty dark days. And pretty good compared to more than half of the league.

My first game in person was during the Eade era as a kid. Feels weird to say as a Bulldog fan these days, that you're used to finals.
bane-the-dark-knight-rises.gif

We weren’t advised anything which is why there’s so much haste from supporters.

We had a little bit of info from a poster on BF we wanted to announce a couple at the BNF which didn’t happen and radio silence from the club.

So yeah no surprises people are annoyed
I never said definitely BnF. When they launch the new season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the fact we are having a historically bad AFLW season ramp up the heat on our footy dept and execs at all?
Aflw doesnt matter imo. So probably no haha

Does the fact we are having a historically bad AFLW season ramp up the heat on our footy dept and execs at all?
It probably doesn't help the management to be honest. They would have loved a positive on field distraction of any kind.

Surely burke has to go after this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back