Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps some coaches learn plenty after their first experience.
My source is very very good on this one - he’s viewed by many as the best assistant in the country and according to Fly, is the best tactical mind in the coaches box.
James Hird and Bomber Thompson used to rave about Brendan McCartney and his coaching capabilities..

Perhaps some coaches learn plenty after their first experience.
My source is very very good on this one - he’s viewed by many as the best assistant in the country and according to Fly, is the best tactical mind in the coaches box.

He may be a decent assistant, and a decent tactician, but he failed dismally in his time as a senior coach, and at a club with many natural advantages. Assistant coach at a power club seems a good role for him, and he should continue to enjoy it.

I wouldn't offer him an open job at senior level at a club like the Dogs, let alone push anyone out of the way to make a vacancy for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are a chance to win it, if we make the 8. Hopefully our slow start doesn’t cost us the opportunity.

Get everyone back and we could give this a real shake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Squiggle had us winning it from ninth during the week. Has us winning it from eighth now.

With Bev, all we need is to scrape in to finals and two things are possible. Lose the first week horribly, or we’re going to the GF.

I really hope we can sneak into the 8. I think those Hawks/Cats losses might end up being the difference unfortunately, as sustaining what we’re doing with these injuries and likely Darcy suspension is going to be incredibly hard and we’ve already dropped a couple of wins we should have banked.

He’s won me back 😂
Let’s go Bevo.
Balls in his court, however would love to see him evolve into a director of coaching at the dogs, maintain the personal connections with staff, players and families, have someone tactical as senior coach. New forwards coach.
Egan to Grants role, Grant to GM wAFL.

Chris Scott and Craig McRae are the only two coaches I would rate as equal to or above Bevo.

I think Bevo lost his way the last couple of years, focusing too much on the politics of the club and not enough on the playing cohort. Egan has taken a massive load off Bevo and clearly a massive inclusion in the footy department, doing a lot of media lately and talking a lot of sense.

We also needed to change personnel to keep up with the demands of the game, especially in defending against opposition transitions.

Those two things have really helped turn things around.

I think we are a chance to win it, if we make the 8. Hopefully our slow start doesn’t cost us the opportunity.

Get everyone back and we could give this a real shake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The fact that we pushed the flag favourites all the way and were probably unlucky to lose says this is not a totally crazy notion.

However there's a lot that has to happen between now and then:
  1. We need to win enough games to make the 8 (the top 4 would be better but probably only a remote chance now). Given we have one of the toughest draws in the AFL this year that's a big ask on its own.
  2. The side has to stay uninjured and not keep losing players to the tribunal (3 out last week and now another 4 or 5 out this week, even though we should get 2 others back)
  3. Once in the finals we still have to navigate 3 tough finals to even make the GF. Very likely to entail at least one trip interstate.
I don't know what the bookies are saying but I'd rate it at about $26 to make this year's GF.

The fact that we pushed the flag favourites all the way and were probably unlucky to lose says this is not a totally crazy notion.

However there's a lot that has to happen between now and then:
  1. We need to win enough games to make the 8 (the top 4 would be better but probably only a remote chance now). Given we have one of the toughest draws in the AFL this year that's a big ask on its own.
  2. The side has to stay uninjured and not keep losing players to the tribunal (3 out last week and now another 4 or 5 out this week, even though we should get 2 others back)
  3. Once in the finals we still have to navigate 3 tough finals to even make the GF. Very likely to entail at least one trip interstate.
I don't know what the bookies are saying but I'd rate it at about $26 to make this year's GF.
$41 with SB to win and $34 with TAB. Couldn't see a making the GF market.

The one I'd be having a look at is the 2025 market. Can't find one though.

I thought the Essendon loss would be the start of a death spiral, and then thought the same after Hawthorn but we’ve turned it around.

Obviously we have half a season to go and if we take the foot off and sputter to the end his position will still be under scrutiny but if we keep playing the way we are and just miss off the back of a tough draw I’d back him for next year.

It’s the best month of footy we’ve played since 2021 and the players are playing with serious intent. We aren’t dropping our heads when it gets tough. New blood coming through and we are way better defensively.

I thought the Essendon loss would be the start of a death spiral, and then thought the same after Hawthorn but we’ve turned it around.

Obviously we have half a season to go and if we take the foot off and sputter to the end his position will still be under scrutiny but if we keep playing the way we are and just miss off the back of a tough draw I’d back him for next year.

It’s the best month of footy we’ve played since 2021 and the players are playing with serious intent. We aren’t dropping our heads when it gets tough. New blood coming through and we are way better defensively.

This is accurate

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back