Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. The past four weeks have been very encouraging. If this continues the rest of the way home, Bevo won’t have anything to worry about and we’ll be in finals.

Where it went for 2 seasons and 8 weeks, who knows, but let’s hope that we don’t return to that level for a while.

Three weeks ago I posted about this set of four games (incl Brisbane next week) and said I'd be happy with a 2-2 outcome. Or even a 1-3 outcome if we were playing attractive and competitive football, and clearly moving in the right direction.

Here we are, three weeks into that sequence and we are already 2-1 with only one unlucky loss. And that was to the clear flag favourites.

We are ahead of where I thought we'd be.
And by the looks of it we are improving each week. The challenge will be to cope with the regular loss of players to injury, concussion and suspension.

Also, as I've said all along, to make sure we maintain consistency.

As posted in these esteemed threads before round 1 I was not sure what we had this season. Different game style, new coaches, different player positions and of course being one of two teams playing the first round against a match hardend team.

Thought it would take till half way through the year to get the team playing closer to its peak with a lot of inexperienced players still being inconsistent.

The last 4 games has been far and away the best block since 2021. Unfortunately injuries and now suspensions could easily stop this run. Disappointing, absolutely, but we are heading in the right direction.

I have changed my view on Bev. Would be happy for him to coach next season. In saying that I would like to see us re sign Baz, Tim and Buss to continue this groups growth.

Would also like to see our current forward coach moved to the development role he was originally employed for and see us provide the additional support for Bev with a new forwards coach.

These are the clubs responsibilities, not Bev's once the club signed him to the end of 2025.

Keep developing the players under 100 games amd even if due to the unavailability list we miss the finals we should genuinely be challenging if we do the above in 2025, Bev's final year contracted.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Right now the season has been dismal failure, yes there’s been improvements recently but I think it if anything it emphasises how much talent there is to work with. Things we’re looking great last year at 7 and 3 and solid again with a finals spot all but wrapped up, but as has been the theme under Beveridge since the premiership things can inexplicably decline again. There’s an opportunity in the coming period to set the season up and not be scrapping for a finals spot in the last round.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Right now the season has been dismal failure, yes there’s been improvements recently but I think it if anything it emphasises how much talent there is to work with. Things we’re looking great last year at 7 and 3 and solid again with a finals spot all but wrapped up, but as has been the theme under Beveridge since the premiership things can inexplicably decline again. There’s an opportunity in the coming period to set the season up and not be scrapping for a finals spot in the last round.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This season has been a dismal failure compared to what? Why? Fact or opinion?

I get people don't like Bev, but can we at least not use totally unsubstantiated hyperbole.

This is not pro or anti Bev.

Some of us see the list with potential but lacks experience across the board and what we are wanting to see is improving despite obstacles such as injuries and suspensions. There is a fair chunk of us that are now seeing this and are happy with how we are heading though that may not mean significant finals.

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm giving him until the end of the year to prove where both the club, list, and himself are at.

Making finals is a non-negotiable for me even if we are ''rebuilding/rebranding/evolving/evolution'' whatever. We still have the top end talent to get us into that top 8. I'd really prefer it wasn't a scraping-in but it's better then not playing finals.

I'm giving him until the end of the year to prove where both the club, list, and himself are at.

Making finals is a non-negotiable for me even if we are ''rebuilding/rebranding/evolving/evolution'' whatever. We still have the top end talent to get us into that top 8. I'd really prefer it wasn't a scraping-in but it's better then not playing finals.
It's morphing now. Evolving is very last week.

It's morphing now. Evolving is very last week.
See You Later Goodbye GIF

Probably a few here that remember when that movie first came out. I saw it in the first couple of days of its release. My flatmate at the time had bugged me all day about going to see it because she really wanted to see it but didn't want to see it alone and her friends weren't keen....understandably as it turned out.

I swear, during that basement scene, she dug those long claws of hers that far into my arm it drew blood ... and I didn't feel a thing.

I don't think I've ever experienced a more dramatic, suspenseful and (in the blackness) utterly terrifying scene at a movie theatre. It was quite something at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a few here that remember when that movie first came out. I saw it in the first couple of days of its release. My flatmate at the time had bugged me all day about going to see it because she really wanted to see it but didn't want to see it alone and her friends weren't keen....understandably as it turned out.

I swear, during that basement scene, she dug those long claws of hers that far into my arm it drew blood ... and I didn't feel a thing.

I don't think I've ever experienced a more dramatic, suspenseful and (in the blackness) utterly terrifying scene at a movie theatre. It was quite something at the time.
Same here (except for the nails 🤣). When I first heard about it I couldn’t wait to see it. Have seen it several times since, always just as scary 😧

There was a bit of mockery about some things Bevo said earlier in the year, including:
  • we’d be the fittest we’ve been
  • the definition of insanity etc and
  • the pivot to saying we were going through a transition.

It is starting to look like it had some substance.

For the last month we’ve been coming home with a wet sail in every game often despite injuries.

We now seem able to stop the opposition getting those run ons and can control the game again. While not perfect, our goal kicking has improved. For all the flak Bevo copped about Macrae and Daniel, I’m pretty sure their ability to defend was part of it.

The the lineup has changed. Gallagher, Sanders, West, O’Donnell, Darcy, Bramble (for better or worse) have all been backed in extensively. I don’t think transition ever meant rebuild. Keath and Duryea looked cooked but are getting games on merit. It just meant new blood needed to come in.

It’s taken half a season but it seems the planning has been bearing fruit. My take is that the reason Bevo’s been backed in hard for this year is that internally there was agreement on a change of direction and they wanted to give it a chance.

There was a bit of mockery about some things Bevo said earlier in the year, including:
  • we’d be the fittest we’ve been
  • the definition of insanity etc and
  • the pivot to saying we were going through a transition.

It is starting to look like it had some substance.

For the last month we’ve been coming home with a wet sail in every game often despite injuries.

We now seem able to stop the opposition getting those run ons and can control the game again. While not perfect, our goal kicking has improved. For all the flak Bevo copped about Macrae and Daniel, I’m pretty sure their ability to defend was part of it.

The the lineup has changed. Gallagher, Sanders, West, O’Donnell, Darcy, Bramble (for better or worse) have all been backed in extensively. I don’t think transition ever meant rebuild. Keath and Duryea looked cooked but are getting games on merit. It just meant new blood needed to come in.

It’s taken half a season but it seems the planning has been bearing fruit. My take is that the reason Bevo’s been backed in hard for this year is that internally there was agreement on a change of direction and they wanted to give it a chance.
I agree that a lot of the things for which Beveridge was criticised are absent or less evident now. Bevo's performance as coach has lifted and many of us are glad to see the old Bevo return. Long may it continue. And if it doesn't, then he should stand down.

So at 6-6 are we glass half full or half empty?

He still needs to win the next two you would think and go the the bye 8-6

But oh my don't we look much better than we did a month ago! No denying that !
Agree, need to win the next two and destroy Norf off the bye to go 9-6 with 8 games left.

Tough run home in a tight season,so % is going to play a big part. If we do lose games, they can’t be like the Dees yesterday, they need to be like we are doing sub 10pts or at worst 4 goals to protect the %

Of those 8, we probably have to win 4, maybe 5 given how close it is this year and with all the draws but % helps

We have

Port (A) - Loss (Port are very flaky and could be a 50/50 game
Carl (H) - 50/50 depends on which Carlton and Which us turns up
Geel (A) - Loss (cos its in Geelong, but again I don’t think they are unbeatable this year)
Syd (A) Loss (although we took it to them and should have won)
Melb (H) - 50/50 after what i saw yesterday. Think there a re issues at the Dees
Adel (A) - Win
North (H) - Win
GWS (H Ballarat) - Win

I reckon 3 wins which gets us to 12 and wed need 1 more, maybe 2. Reckon we can do that

The bait and switch at the front door is one of the greatest in all of cinema.

it does feel a bit old Bevo-like in the last month or so.

We’ve seen some changes, especially in the middle, that are paying off. It has come at the expense of Caleb and Macrae which is a huge call but we are seeing what Richard’s, Sanders, Garcia etc have to offer.

I liked Buku early but undeniable that Keath as the last line of defense has freed up Jones to do his thing and takes pressure off JoD who needs to get this experience as he’ll be important in 2025 onwards.

But our start to the season was awful and our chances of making finals are still not great. It’s most likely still we finish ninth again or tenth - jostling for position up until the last game of the last round like we’ve more or less done since 2019 with the obvious exception of 2021.

Maintain the form we’ve created and we probably get there, but we’re asking for minimal slip ups until the end. Very little margin for error.

So the question becomes, what if we miss finals or scrape in and lose in the first week again? Do we keep in mind that we’ve seen a lot of change through the first 1/2 of this season and assume its form we will maintain and improve on in 2025?

Or do we look at the overall trends of 2022, 2023 and possibly 2024 and hold him accountable?

I think there has to be an expectation of success from the coaches when you have a generational player like Bont in this kind of form. I appreciate how we look and are playing now compared to the part of the season but end of the day 6-6 is not what we would have been thinking and it’s still an uphill battle to make finals, which should be a minimum for what we expect. Maybe others feel differently in terms of what a passing grade is for this season.

It is far better though watching us invest in young draft picks as our ‘bottom 6’ which has been an issue for some time. Rather than watching low floor low ceiling VFL types fill out the team come selection night. We see mistakes (which are also made by the likes of Bramble and Baker) but also see the potential - which is more engaging I feel.

The fixture is still absolutely brutal to finish.

We need to win the next 2 before the bye to really set ourselves up with some players hopefully returning.

Bevo seems to be coaching much better and is making some in-game moves recently compared to the stubborness we've seen before.

I hope you went home and had a nice chianti to settle your nerves 😋

My wife was a thigh digger, or an ear plugger, which was quite difficult when her nails were dug into my thigh. She said it was the music that was scary that’s why she’d put her fingers in her ears.

I left her to go to the toilet at the drive-in during The Exorcist, I’d seen it and said nothing scary happens. When I got back in the car I got a whack for maybe misleading her 😬

I also remember during A Quiet Place the whole audience barely daring to breathe in the silence. And definitely not rustle their pop corn, wrappers or slurp their soggy paper straws !!

The movie Prisoners also had a scene rushing to the hospital that was so tense your chest was tight. Although the lady who brought her two little girls may have made an error in choosing a movie about young girls being abducted to take them to judging by their screams 😱

There is one movie that’s not really that scary but F me….when you have a random girl sitting next to you at the cinema who just screams at everything it makes for a tense night….i pity her date

The movie was What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michele Pfieffer - a good thriller, but far out was this girl over the top

it does feel a bit old Bevo-like in the last month or so.

We’ve seen some changes, especially in the middle, that are paying off. It has come at the expense of Caleb and Macrae which is a huge call but we are seeing what Richard’s, Sanders, Garcia etc have to offer.

I liked Buku early but undeniable that Keath as the last line of defense has freed up Jones to do his thing and takes pressure off JoD who needs to get this experience as he’ll be important in 2025 onwards.

But our start to the season was awful and our chances of making finals are still not great. It’s most likely still we finish ninth again or tenth - jostling for position up until the last game of the last round like we’ve more or less done since 2019 with the obvious exception of 2021.

Maintain the form we’ve created and we probably get there, but we’re asking for minimal slip ups until the end. Very little margin for error.

So the question becomes, what if we miss finals or scrape in and lose in the first week again? Do we keep in mind that we’ve seen a lot of change through the first 1/2 of this season and assume its form we will maintain and improve on in 2025?

Or do we look at the overall trends of 2022, 2023 and possibly 2024 and hold him accountable?

I think there has to be an expectation of success from the coaches when you have a generational player like Bont in this kind of form. I appreciate how we look and are playing now compared to the part of the season but end of the day 6-6 is not what we would have been thinking and it’s still an uphill battle to make finals, which should be a minimum for what we expect. Maybe others feel differently in terms of what a passing grade is for this season.

It is far better though watching us invest in young draft picks as our ‘bottom 6’ which has been an issue for some time. Rather than watching low floor low ceiling VFL types fill out the team come selection night. We see mistakes (which are also made by the likes of Bramble and Baker) but also see the potential - which is more engaging I feel.
I’ve posted this elsewhere but I thought it was a binary “make the right or don’t”, but I now think that if we keep going the way we are and just miss he should stay.

If we went back to dropping the unlosable here and there and conceding big runs of goals it might be different but what he’s trying seems to be working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back