Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

God no, we can't do another season like this.

I would give him 6 rounds max. If we have lost 3 or more, show the door. We are going to go on a decline with our mids very quickly, we don't have anymore time to be shuffling the magnets every QTR

If we jump that early we may as well jump now which won’t happen.

The key thing is no extension in the off season

I spoke of his 3 flaws a few months back and I reckon all 3 reared their head again tonight.

1) Poor selection and playing favourites.

2) No plan B when things go wrong in game.

3) Refusal to tag.

We're reaching port Adelaide levels of finals choking and I can't see that changing under Bevo.

Cats and Hawks showed this week how important a coach is.
Your Port Adelaide comparison is unfortunately correct. In the last 6 years we’ve lost 3 elimination finals we started favourites in, lost another after conceding the biggest comeback in finals history and lost a grand final after conceding the biggest 2nd half deficit in league history. Not a lot of success there.

Your Port Adelaide comparison is unfortunately correct. In the last 6 years we’ve lost 3 elimination finals we started favourites in, lost another after conceding the biggest comeback in finals history and lost a grand final after conceding the biggest 2nd half deficit in league history. Not a lot of success there.
Exactly. Not sure why people consider 2021 a pass mark. We got absolutely embarrassed in the GF, nothing to remember.

If Bevo goes to coach in 2025
Then Make some hard list calls and start rebuilding our mids/defence ASAP
I’ve been staunch on him needing to go all year. But based on the second half of the year they will give him 2025 unless he walks (which won’t happen).

Our biggest issue is the board taking finals as a pass and extending which would be terrible.

Another season of basically nothing more than middle of the road. That's all this bloke gets.

I've enjoyed all the times we've finished top 4 in his tenure....GF win was about a great run, surely everyone can see that now.

Plays favorites. Seriously, stats might not be the whole story, but over an entire season they are. His selection of Vandermeer, despite a drop in all key stats (AFL app) is mind boggling - yeah great team man, 10 possies a week and a goal every 2 or 3 games, ffs.

Exactly. Not sure why people consider 2021 a pass mark. We got absolutely embarrassed in the GF, nothing to remember.
No No Frk No. Our players spent 4 weeks locked in hotel rooms in that final series. Getting us up half way through the 3rd in gF is Bevo's greatest coaching achievement. Better than 2016.

The guy can coach, just needs the idiots above him to take control.

I think next year is probs Bevo’s last year.

I think this squad is pretty cooked as well. Jones, Doc, Lib and Treloar are on the downward slide. The game has gone past players like Macrae and Daniel.

I think it could be a hard year next year. We need to get back in the draft and recruit some elite mids to support Bont and Richards and bring energy back into our squad. Our young talls are decent at least. So if we can build a new game plan around them we can bounce back.

I also don’t think we should rest on our laurels with our coaching turnover this off-season. We need a few more tactical coaches on our staff to support bevo and help evolve the way we play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect not every member will buy into the "we've made big changes in this off season."

That's what was promised this year, and they made a mockery of it. Yes the last few weeks of the home and away looked great at the time, but if you looked how the teams performed against other teams (the games we won), it doesn't look too pretty

We were so excited about beating Carlton, yet they were having hopes on another teaming losing because they shit the bed

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Needs to see next year out. You can see he's trying to build a list go up against teams like Hawks. However a few young players are not ready yet. And a few of the older players are too slow now.
Very debatable.
Hawthorn have come from the clouds in the back end of this season. Back in May nobody was looking to build a list to go up against them. Hawthorn are younger, smaller and less experienced, but in six months they have already gone past us. We need to think about why that is so.

TBH I'm not sure what type of list Bevo wants. Even if he had an ideal list in mind I don't think we are ruthless enough to go about getting it. Sam Power is the list manager anyway. In all our history we have never gone out to shape our list strategically and aggressively the way certain other clubs have done (Geelong, Carlton and Hawthorn come to mind). We have tended to accept our lot, good or bad, and try to make do with opportunistic deals (Treloar). We rarely get big names or if we do they are at the tail end of their career (Hall, Aker, Cloke). The only really big move (Tom Boyd) came in response to a crisis that nearly tore the club apart.

It's hard to know how much say Bevo has in list decisions (acquisitions, departures, contract renewals) but once the list is assembled each year it's his job to shape them into a flag winning combination. That's what we should be discussing.

FWIW here's the sides comparison from tonight.

1725629311653.png

The moment we play a team with a bit of speed we get absolutely smashed.

Lions, Port, Crows and now Hawks all played fast with high pressure and made us look like a bottom 4 team.

We have no adjustments and no plan B. Same problem for years.
How do you plan B for speed? Coach puts into hyperdrive? You either have it or you don't. That's why we're parked until we reboot this list

Very debatable.
Hawthorn have come from the clouds in the back end of this season. Back in May nobody was looking to build a list to go up against them. Hawthorn are younger, smaller and less experienced, but in six months they have already gone past us. We need to think about why that is so.

TBH I'm not sure what type of list Bevo wants. Even if he had an ideal list in mind I don't think we are ruthless enough to go about getting it. Sam Power is the list manager anyway. In all our history we have never gone out to shape our list strategically and aggressively the way certain other clubs have done (Geelong, Carlton and Hawthorn come to mind). We have tended to accept our lot, good or bad, and try to make do with opportunistic deals (Treloar). We rarely get big names or if we do they are at the tail end of their career (Hall, Aker, Cloke). The only really big move (Tom Boyd) came in response to a crisis that nearly tore the club apart.

It's hard to know how much say Bevo has in list decisions (acquisitions, departures, contract renewals) but once the list is assembled each year it's his job to shape them into a flag winning combination. That's what we should be discussing.

FWIW here's the sides comparison from tonight.

View attachment 2103281
From the looks of who they bought in last season Speed is very much on Bevos mind. However they need to have a good mix of speed and effective disposal decision making. Gags, Garcia & VDM provide speed but suspect with disposal and decision making Cant really have a team of turnover merchants so players like Macrae are Daniel are being played because of their disposal.

I think Bevo is a very good coach, who has his flaws which often get brought out under the spotlight. Match selection seems to be one, being stubborn and not adapting to our matchup is another. Watching guys like Fyfe, Oliver etc absolute dominate us this season and then go back having under 20 touches without influence the next week is infuriating. As well as knowing that a Sicily or Tom Stewart is going to have a a field day as the ball is bounced and not enough will be done to curve it.

I don't think there is a better coach out there who would want to step straight in if we axed Bevo and the players obviously love him and he hasn't lost the group. The risk that sacking him could fracture the playing group and be much more harmful than keeping him on is something to consider also and just a week ago most of us had bought back in as believers.

My opinion but I think he has earned to see out 2025 and between him and Power they get the off-season to put together the list he needs to progress much deeper into September before we part ways.

Bevo going nowhere whilst Bont & co in his corner. If Bont has doubt then maybe something will happen end of 2025. But I think we are stuck with him another 4-5 years.

I think Bevo is a very good coach, who has his flaws which often get brought out under the spotlight. Match selection seems to be one, being stubborn and not adapting to our matchup is another. Watching guys like Fyfe, Oliver etc absolute dominate us this season and then go back having under 20 touches without influence the next week is infuriating. As well as knowing that a Sicily or Tom Stewart is going to have a a field day as the ball is bounced and not enough will be done to curve it.

I don't think there is a better coach out there who would want to step straight in if we axed Bevo and the players obviously love him and he hasn't lost the group. The risk that sacking him could fracture the playing group and be much more harmful than keeping him on is something to consider also and just a week ago most of us had bought back in as believers.

My opinion but I think he has earned to see out 2025 and between him and Power they get the off-season to put together the list he needs to progress much deeper into September before we part ways.
You make a good point - how do you sack a coach that players want to play for? Ideally they're professionals that see the bigger picture but in reality you'd think there be some friction and regression initially.

Are we employing Bevo to be mates with his players or to win finals?

Obviously you need a coach they players want to play for. You also need one that is capable of having a better record than 2-5 in elimination finals.

Unless the club has decided we're okay with being a perennial 8-10 placed side in the comp and our coaching decisions are feelings based, not results based.

If the playing group is happy with how we're travelling under Bevo the last three years and would be upset with change, I would have significant doubts about their intentions to bring success to the club.

We can trot out whatever PR bullshit we want (and Bains/KWW/Bevo will) but we appear to have hit a ceiling that we can't break through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back