Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we probably have the scariest opponent possible in Hawthorn. Brisbane are dangerous but primarily just at home so I wouldn't be shocked if they go out in the semi finals. Port are good but we played like absolute dogshit against them when we played them.

Geelong away from Geelong is also not exactly the scariest of propositions.

No, hawks have the scariest opponent possible

Dogs and Hawks atk/def is 3 and 1, and 1 and 3, respectively. Friday night should be an awesome game. I think the thing that stands out for us is our ability to shut down sml/med forwards which are dangerous for the Hawks.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hawthorn are ranked 6th in both attack and defence based on for and against for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mini rebuild has worked it's charm

From 2021 Grand Final team to now

11 players from the 2021 team aren't playing for us or not in our best 23

Amazing turnaround
The highlight of our list management in recent times has been our ability to identify bargains outside of the major drafts or trades.

Consider our backline, since 2021 we've added;

• Liam Jones, DFA
  • James O'Donnell, Cat B Rookie
  • Lachie Bramble, Pre Season Rookie Draft

Half of our top ranked backline essentially cost free (Taylor Duryea for a future 4th and Joel Freijah for 45 have also been top value selections).

We've also added much needed winger depth through the Pre-season/Midseason supplementary drafts through Caleb Poulter and Oscar Baker.

For basically nothing, these 5 guys have already given us well over 100 games with plenty more to come.

A-grade list management. No stone unturned.

I've always been a Bevo supporter on this forum, yet I do get some intel through Dad's old workmate who is Bevo's brother in law, so I am potentially a little biases.

The problem with many on this board and the same as the media, they can only talk about the now and its never as bad or as good as it seems.

Bevo made the right decisions this year with CD and Macrae, tough but the right call, they are role players now with limitations in the modern game. In my opinion he took way too long to play Richards in the middle (I was asking for it over a year ago) and to move a talented key forward back (over Gardiner and Keath).

Bevo though needed finals this year. After such a long time at the club he needed finals or at least to be heading in the right direction or then it was time for change.

Now we have to play 4 brilliant games and Premiership 3 could be ours. Problem is another 3 sides are thinking the same and another 4 are thinking we only need to win 3 games.

I've always been a Bevo supporter on this forum, yet I do get some intel through Dad's old workmate who is Bevo's brother in law, so I am potentially a little biases.

The problem with many on this board and the same as the media, they can only talk about the now and its never as bad or as good as it seems.

Bevo made the right decisions this year with CD and Macrae, tough but the right call, they are role players now with limitations in the modern game. In my opinion he took way too long to play Richards in the middle (I was asking for it over a year ago) and to move a talented key forward back (over Gardiner and Keath).

Bevo though needed finals this year. After such a long time at the club he needed finals or at least to be heading in the right direction or then it was time for change.

Now we have to play 4 brilliant games and Premiership 3 could be ours. Problem is another 3 sides are thinking the same and another 4 are thinking we only need to win 3 games.
Last season there was no one to take Richards role at HB. Now Bramble & Freijah are there. Last year Darcy was injured and Lobb & Khamis had to play forward. Whenever JOD or Jones went down last year it was Keath & Gardner who were barely fit themselves. Duyrea wasn't fit and that left a struggling defense. Things are so much different this season with the depth over last season being a key factor. The improvement this time is night and day.

View attachment 2100904

Fingers crossed the form holds tomorrow night, but going from constantly conceding runs of goals to being second best at avoiding them is a big tick for Bev and the new coaches.
Yeah that's a great turn around. Used to be our worst trait!

I do think we are prone to those random stinkers (lions, power, crows) because our game plan is basically to get the midfield to apply finals-like pressure across the season so our backline (which is lacking in defensive stoppers but numerous in interceptors) doesn’t get caught out in 1 on 1s. Even Hipwood dominated Liam Jones when our mids faltered.

it’s a really intense style that probably won’t get you top 4 across 24 games. What we need is more capable defensive players in the backline to carry us throughout the season.

It would be nice to play in such a way to secure a top 4 spot so we don’t have to play like maniacs through the whole season (leading to drop offs every 4 weeks or so) and to provide margin for error (3 games instead of 4 or 4 games w/ a forgiven loss) come finals, which is invaluable and why almost (wink wink) every flag goes to a top 4 side.

It’s been great to watch, and various issues from 22-23 have been addressed, but not what I would call sustainable if this is the plan for season 2025.

I do think we are prone to those random stinkers (lions, power, crows) because our game plan is basically to get the midfield to apply finals-like pressure across the season so our backline (which is lacking in defensive stoppers but numerous in interceptors) doesn’t get caught out in 1 on 1s. Even Hipwood dominated Liam Jones when our mids faltered.

it’s a really intense style that probably won’t get you top 4 across 24 games. What we need is more capable defensive players in the backline to carry us throughout the season.

It would be nice to play in such a way to secure a top 4 spot so we don’t have to play like maniacs through the whole season (leading to drop offs every 4 weeks or so) and to provide margin for error (3 games instead of 4 or 4 games w/ a forgiven loss) come finals, which is invaluable and why almost (wink wink) every flag goes to a top 4 side.

It’s been great to watch, and various issues from 22-23 have been addressed, but not what I would call sustainable if this is the plan for season 2025.
I don't agree.

We've seen many teams in the history of our great game pride themselves on manic pressure week after week. It's the teams who are mentally strong enough to apply that pressure week after week that has success.

Saints under Ross Lyon and Swans under Paul Roos are perfect examples of this.

I consider our current list profile very similar to what the Saints had at the end of Grant Thomas' tenure. Their forward line was absolutely stacked with a combination of tall, strong, mobile forwards in Riewoldt, Gehrig, Kozzi and Hamill combined with that little pest Milne. Compare that to JUH, Naughton, Darcy and Weightman (and at times Lobb earlier in the year) and that's scarily similar.

While Gehrig and Hamill weren't apart of Lyon's game style that saw them have so much success, it's clear their game style under Lyon is similar to ours currently.

Saints in those years had a stacked, dominant midfield much like ours. They starved opponents of possession.

The main difference between the two profiles was defence. The Saints were very unique in the way they had taller players who were great at defending and rebounding (Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert) whereas we have great defenders and great rebounders but no necessarily players who do both exceptionally well.

I wonder what Sam Day's footy IQ is like. He isn't being offered a new contract, so I wonder if he'd be open to a Rookie place, but effectively as a coach. He's next level loyal, busts his arse, and is a bit of a heart and soul player.

Does anyone have a read on his footy IQ?

I wonder what Sam Day's footy IQ is like. He isn't being offered a new contract, so I wonder if he'd be open to a Rookie place, but effectively as a coach. He's next level loyal, busts his arse, and is a bit of a heart and soul player.

Does anyone have a read on his footy IQ?

I read this three times before I realised you weren't talking about Sam Darcy. I was so confused. 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back