Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club executives created it by 2 year deal.

Place needs a clean out from Bev and assistants, to Grant etc

We need one person the right person to be a benevolent dictator
The club board did on advice from the executives. Ultimately it’s the board’s decision not the executives.

For a very short period….’Gower’s was God’!

Remember that game in 2020 when he had the ball marked on his chest about 70 out, 30 seconds to go, up by 3 against GCS and he decided to switch play and completely balls it up? Pretty sure he never played again for the club.
Another victim of Bevo trying to get more out of him than he was capable of. He was a serviceable medium marking forward at a time when we had very few capable goal kickers.

Then for some reason Bevo had the bright idea of getting him up around the ball more and even starting him at the occasional centre bounce. Not sure we’ve seen a worse Bevo experiment.

Another victim of Bevo trying to get more out of him than he was capable of. He was a serviceable medium marking forward at a time when we had very few capable goal kickers.

Then for some reason Bevo had the bright idea of getting him up around the ball more and even starting him at the occasional centre bounce. Not sure we’ve seen a worse Bevo experiment.
Wood to the forward line. One of the best interceptors in the league, nearly finished his career

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hypothetical.

Would Bubba have been moved on if the handful of young players had pressured Bont to go to the board at the end of/mid July?

What case is being made for Bubba not being offered a contract for next year? He was no good or he was ill? If the answer is that it's none of those but his crime was being close to Bevo then targeting him as a way of isolating, destabilising and ultimately getting rid of Bevo will more than likely ensure that this will end in a bloodbath.

He's effectively collateral damage and I'd expect Bevo to play hard ball as a result. Smith has paid, Bevo will pay in as much as he won't be there next year. What board members, executives and players will pay? The club will most certainly pay ... financially.

Who the players are and how it affects ongoing relationships with other members of the playing group who weren't on board with this might actually be the biggest issue because that will impact onfield as much as coaching. In hindsight, there's perhaps been some evidence of not being on the same page throughout the year between more mature and less mature players. Bont, in this weeks presser, was echoing Bevo's take about talent vs consistency which is generally a younger players lot. But a number of the younger players have clout in the form of time and potential.

What a tangled web.

Last edited:
Where has this idea come from that Smith was sacked to get Bevo to leave?

As far as I can see it has only been the speculation of a couple of posters on BF.

It doesn't seem very plausible to me, but perhaps I missed something.

So the players who aren’t playing in their natural position are under performing?! who would have thought
Daniel has had a fine season other than a down past month (along with many others). Posters here have been begging for him to be taken out of the backline and moved into his current role.

The issue with Baz & Jack is that we have 3 other players who play their best footy at the centre bounce. You put those guys in and then your moving someone to else out of position. Bont & Libba simply must play in the guts so we’re in a tough spot managing those minutes.

As far as I can see it has only been the speculation of a couple of posters on BF.

What if that is Bevo's perception? If he can see no logical reason why Smith should be let go and mounted a strong case as why to he should be retained but was ultimately over-ruled then he may perceive that as being part of a plan to remove him. And he may subsequently act according to that perception.

Daniel has had a fine season other than a down past month (along with many others). Posters here have been begging for him to be taken out of the backline and moved into his current role.

The issue with Baz & Jack is that we have 3 other players who play their best footy at the centre bounce. You put those guys in and then your moving someone to else out of position. Bont & Libba simply must play in the guts so we’re in a tough spot managing those minutes.
The problem with Macrae at CBs is the defensive side which is considerable without a dominant ruckman and against quick opponents. Smith is fickle at best. Not having them at CBs may in fact be the lesser of 2 evils. I think they both got a decent run at CBs last week against a very bad side and it didn't work out too well for us. What might Port have done to us?

No matter what happens I will still be member nothing can be worse than the Royce Hart days. Member since 1961 maybe just used to the disappointment.

Ditto, as frustrating as the current season is I will continue to support the club.

We all know the real sticking point here is the photos Hannan, McComb and others are in possession of. Bevo doesn't want them in the public domain. Can't say I blame him - apparently they all feature that handlebar tache.
McComb just doesn't kick well enough to play the position we want.

Hannan was a bit of a victim early in his career of playing a 'sacrificial' game for Naughton. I don't rate him further up the ground (ignore the comments from the club when we got him that he can 'play wing' - he can't).
He's a 'third tall' and when we're set on playing at least two talls and a forward/ruck, he just doesn't fit into our system.

What if that is Bevo's perception? If he can see no logical reason why Smith should be let go and mounted a strong case as why to he should be retained but was ultimately over-ruled then he may perceive that as being part of a plan to remove him. And he may subsequently act according to that perception.
Or Bevo's getting some oversight and that's exactly what should happen?

I love Bubba but every coach has a used-by date.
I love Bevo too but I feel like he's also reached his used-by date. They guy is a good coach and the most successful coach in our history but would a new voice benefit us?
I want nothing but success for Bevo and all he's done for us but is he the best person in the AFL to take us forward? It feels like as a club we lack energy and I question whether 'just' new assistants, under Bevo, will be able to provide that.

Or Bevo's getting some oversight and that's exactly what should happen?

I love Bubba but every coach has a used-by date.
I love Bevo too but I feel like he's also reached his used-by date. They guy is a good coach and the most successful coach in our history but would a new voice benefit us?
I want nothing but success for Bevo and all he's done for us but is he the best person in the AFL to take us forward? It feels like as a club we lack energy and I question whether 'just' new assistants, under Bevo, will be able to provide that.
And these are all valid points. I'm not invested in being right or wrong either way. It's all guess work in the presence ITK tidbits and in the absence of any club announcements. But it's fun .. for me anyway....and rich plot fodder for a fictional novel that I've decided to write this very second. You would read about it ..... 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra I'm thinking of starting a new thread (with poll) in search of a title for my upcoming best selling fictional book of many plot twists. What do you think ... you can never start too many threads...

I have a couple of working titles so far
  • The Good, the Bad and the Snuggly and
  • Why Don't You Just Fcuk Off Already
I'm leaning towards the latter because of the American market as it's unlikely to be mistaken for a book about horizon expanding geography or world events

Last edited:

Considering Bubba would have been told earlier in the year before the losses to Hawks and West Coast.

Considering Bubba would have been told earlier in the year before the losses tomahawks and West Coast.
:think: Really? How much earlier in the year? Maybe discussions around the subject had been swirling for a month or 2 earlier internally but the actual decision has the appearance of being pretty recent. No?

Apparently the mods are paid 6 figure salaries. Super mods over a mill.

Have it on good authority just a single month of Mofra s sponsorship with Flight Centre would cover it.
Only in theory.

I have massive overheads. Nobody else is buying Ryan Gardner :hearts: badges, for example

No matter what happens I will still be member nothing can be worse than the Royce Hart days. Member since 1961 maybe just used to the disappointment.

We won't be cancelling our membership, but I can't say I'll be going to many games - same as last half of this year.

SEN just did a deep dive. Brereton can't understand what's going on there and says we need to build around Bont because he deserves a 2nd premiership. Panel said Lobb's contract way OTT and they didn't particularly need him. Smith, Jamarra, Naughton, English still have another 12 months on their contracts to go & Geelong won't give a number 8 pick to get Smith - they will wait. Might be worth trying to get something for Macrae - Brereton says they should move him into hands and knees get dirt on them every match centre role. Bottom line on Bevo - he ain't going anywhere.

What drives me mad is why do the talented players constantly get talked about? What about those who just aren't up to it? Why can't this club retain the good talent? Smith is a bit different as I don't think he wants to be there - saying that, our club has always screwed it up with these sorts of blokes; Stringer, Hardie, Brown, even Dempsey. We have a weird culture - weak probably. A stronger club can absorb the hissyfit Veruca Salts.

Just rambling now - I really can't see a way out of this; how can you have the CEO and the Coach at such odds with each other & suceed? If SEN's mail is correct (I don't think they know the whole story & just speculating from afar), 2024 is just going to be another nothing year.

Mofra I'm thinking of starting a new thread (with poll) in search of a title for my upcoming best selling fictional book of many plot twists. What do you think ... you can never start too many threads...

I have a couple of working titles so far
  • The Good, the Bad and the Snuggly and
  • Why Don't You Just Fcuk Off Already
I'm leaning towards the latter because of the American market as it's unlikely to be mistaken for a book about horizon expanding geography or world events
How about "It's a fine line between pleasure and Bains"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back