Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was sheer arrogance to think we could gift Hunter to a top 4 side and replace him with castoffs and a struggling Bailey Williams.
I don't know about this part. It depends what influence Hunter was having on his colleagues. Hunter looks better in the Dees set up but they are generally better than us at the moment. Would we have been any better if he was here? We might have been worse off-field if any of the rumours here have substance. His replacements lack class but he wasn't/isn't the classiest player to have ever laced up either. Wouldn't have solved the I50 entry or conversion problems.

I don't know about this part. It depends what influence Hunter was having on his colleagues. Hunter looks better in the Dees set up but they are generally better than us at the moment. Would we have been any better if he was here? We might have been worse off-field if any of the rumours here have substance. His replacements lack class but he wasn't/isn't the classiest player to have ever laced up either. Wouldn't have solved the I50 entry or conversion problems.

Dees coach being a degenerate gambler probably makes it easier for Lachie to play good football.

Or possibly playing a Bailey Smith/Macrea/Daniel/Treloar on the wing instead of Poulter?
Macrae is too slow as is daniel for the wing
Macrae is too slow as is daniel for the wing.
and second to that baz and treloar are known butchers of the ball. But poulter is definitely not the answer. maybe a bailey dale and jj instead

I put it to y'all that we were one player away from making the top 4 this year. We were Zak Butters away from being that side. With Butters, we win, at the very least, half of the games we lost by a goal or less, but probably all of them. We set up differently at stoppages, we have a quick burst and clearance player that kicks off both feet, defends, makes good decisions and doesn't bottle it when things get tough. We were that close.

We are probably a Zac Butters (or similar) and 1 wing away from being a serious flag threat. It's both close and the Grand Canyon. A Butters clone and class winger will help our cause next season no end.
Imagine if we had a coach who had good football systems, could teach the players their role in the system and made good match day decisions where we would be?

Ed Richards and Luke Cleary we’re both wingmen when we recruited them. Dale and JJ have played there as well.

All quality players. Not sure why Beveridge thinks they all have to play in defence.

Ed Richards and Luke Cleary we’re both wingmen when we recruited them. Dale and JJ have played there as well.

All quality players. Not sure why Beveridge thinks they all have to play in defence.

I think Richards could play almost anywhere. Pace, good mark, reads the play well, great kick. Someone on this board (can't remember who, apologies!) suggested he could be the burst mid that we need. Not a bad idea either. I'm not a regular VFL watcher so have only had minimal exposure to Cleary but based on some of the discussion on here I'm hoping he gets a run at it next year in the AFL.

If (and it's an enormous if) we managed to get Jones, JOD, Busslinger, Richards, Dale and JJ fit and AFL-ready then the backline could be pretty solid defensively and potentially lights out offensively. I really hope we get to see that at some point. If Cleary can take Richards place and the latter plays in the middle/wing/wherever then I'd be fine with that too. Would be exciting to watch that team play, which is what we've been missing this year with our turgid ball movement our of the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To my eye, Poulter and Hunter before him don't look that quick either.
You don't need to be fast to be a winger, Melbourne have best wings in comp and are not fast, but they are elite endurance runners and disciplined to hold out wide and not get sucked into the play. Daicos is probably best wing in game at moment and is not fast either, but has elite disposal and decision making. Wingers can be fast, elite endurance runners, elite accumulators or elite disposers they only need to be elite in 1 of those as long as they are good/ok in the others and it's not a bad weakness.

We have
Baker who is fast but shocking decision maker and disposal, Williams who is slow and doesn't have any of those winger strengths, Poulter and Scott who are not elite in any of those areas, there in lies the problem.

I put it to y'all that we were one player away from making the top 4 this year. We were Zak Butters away from being that side. With Butters, we win, at the very least, half of the games we lost by a goal or less, but probably all of them. We set up differently at stoppages, we have a quick burst and clearance player that kicks off both feet, defends, makes good decisions and doesn't bottle it when things get tough. We were that close.

We are probably a Zac Butters (or similar) and 1 wing away from being a serious flag threat. It's both close and the Grand Canyon. A Butters clone and class winger will help our cause next season no end, and to a degree, this year's experience to illustrate to a young forward line that defence matters too (Cody and others up there making 11 tackles on a regular basis will make a difference).
Sliding Doors: We could have drafted Butters instead of Bailey Smith.

Now everyone would have thought we were crazy at the time because Bailey was being described as a top 5 pick in most other drafts. And Butters was considered just a good late first-rounder. Like Nathan Fyfe was a decade or so earlier.

Smith might still end up a top 20 player but it's turbulent times for him at the moment. Meanwhile Butters (a Dogs fan originally) is killing it.

You don't need to be fast to be a winger, Melbourne have best wings in comp and are not fast, but they are elite endurance runners and disciplined to hold out wide and not get sucked into the play. Daicos is probably best wing in game at moment and is not fast either, but has elite disposal and decision making. Wingers can be fast, elite endurance runners, elite accumulators or elite disposers they only need to be elite in 1 of those as long as they are good/ok in the others and it's not a bad weakness.

We have
Baker who is fast but shocking decision maker and disposal, Williams who is slow and doesn't have any of those winger strengths, Poulter and Scott who are not elite in any of those areas, there in lies the problem.
See my previous post. I put up Smith/Macrea/Daniel/Treloar as options to Poulter.
I think Daniel played wing at some point and was fantastic.
Then Bevo moved him to full back.

We have
Ed Langdon is very quick.

We have
Agree with most of this but Langdon has a lot of explosive speed on top of his endurance ability (out sprinted Baker numerous times in the rd1 clash)

If JOD and Buss both have great pre-seasons, our back 6 will be the strongest in a long time

Having those two young players with an in-form Liam Jones

We all know Bevo prefers third defender coverage instead of a brute defender
I’d love for us to line up our back 6 with any 3 of Jones, Darcy, Buss, JOD or even Khamis (if he stays around).

Unfortunately I don’t think Bevo will have the confidence to play 2 inexperienced key talls.

I love Bevo for what his done, but if he hangs around he needs to take the shackles off. Feel we played too safe playing brute defenders with terrible foot skills.

There are obviously differing views on this board (to say the least) on where the issues with the club lie. But even if we accept that there are major issues with the list, the footy department/administration, the playing group taking more responsibility for their performance etc. then there are instances like those you have highlighted above that point to major issues with in-game coaching. I think you could add Kelly in the first half of the WC game and a few other instances of letting an opposition player run free, but tbf Bevo's not alone there as a lot of coaches reject tagging/run with players. The GWS example you've mentioned was, however, a glaring example of incredibly poor in-game coaching.

Collingwood won a bunch of close games last year, and have done something similar this year. Is that luck and they'll regress to the mean next year, or are they seeing the benefits of a focus on this in training? I'd have to believe that every AFL club does last two minute drills whether in front or behind, but maybe they don't do them well enough or frequently enough.

Our planning looks poor at the end of games, and our execution is poor as well. Bevo can point the finger at the players for the latter, but he's in control of the former. It's obviously a matter of opinion, but my view aligns closely with yours that we were possibly an AFL-standard coaching approach away from at least 5th place this year, if not 3rd/4th.

Come on, we must have trained for that kick in English took at the end of the Hawks game. We were like a well oiled machine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back