Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

My updated position is: Bevo needs to reinvent the roles of Macrae and Daniel and he needs to give extended run to Baz, Garcia and West in the midfield. If he doesn’t and we have another year like this one he should probably be moved on end of next year.
Agree.
Macrae's natural position is midfield. He is not a half forward. While Daniel played his best as a little general in the backline.
Could macrae play a half back role? Like Boyd did. Don't know where to play Daniel maybe as a pressure forward pocket or a utility type?

Agree.
Macrae's natural position is midfield. He is not a half forward. While Daniel played his best as a little general in the backline.
Could macrae play a half back role? Like Boyd did. Don't know where to play Daniel maybe as a pressure forward pocket or a utility type?
Daniel is hard to play. Definitely a depends on the game and opposition thing. When our midfield has some semblance of stability he’s good as the pare behind the stoppage. That has its flaws but is good to have in the repertoire

All the noise coming out of the club is 12 months too late in my view. Grant and Bains did a review last year, and look what we got. Now the same people are doing it again and we expect a different result?

The day after we lost to the Eagles, we should have been on the phone to Geoff Walsh for an external review. Bains and Grant need to be under as much scrutiny as anyone else, not the ones conducting the review.

Daniel is hard to play. Definitely a depends on the game and opposition thing. When our midfield has some semblance of stability he’s good as the pare behind the stoppage. That has its flaws but is good to have in the repertoire

Caleb should be no where near the midfield…ever.
Yes he gets a lot of the ball but his size and lack of pace absolutely screw us when he is in the centre bounces or at stoppages. The amount of time he gets pushed off the ball, his man gets the clearance because of a broken tackle or he is too slow to go with his man is amazing.
At best, his only position where he is not a liability is as a high half forward. At least there, he can come up and play as a 5th mid around the stoppages and play the qb role using his foot skills. Only issue with that is it leaves a loose man behind the play for the oppo.

Macrae, in my opinion is done. His hands are still good but if we have Libba and bont as clearance players, and west being played there next year, there is no role for him.
He can’t play as a wing as he is too slow and his kick is not penetrating enough to get over defensive lines. He can’t play as a forward as he has no idea there.
We need to start actually playing guys in their right positions, not hiding mids in spots to keep them in the side. He should be used as depth only from now on. Or trade bait.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Caleb should be no where near the midfield…ever.
Yes he gets a lot of the ball but his size and lack of pace absolutely screw us when he is in the centre bounces or at stoppages. The amount of time he gets pushed off the ball, his man gets the clearance because of a broken tackle or he is too slow to go with his man is amazing.
At best, his only position where he is not a liability is as a high half forward. At least there, he can come up and play as a 5th mid around the stoppages and play the qb role using his foot skills. Only issue with that is it leaves a loose man behind the play for the oppo.

Macrae, in my opinion is done. His hands are still good but if we have Libba and bont as clearance players, and west being played there next year, there is no role for him.
He can’t play as a wing as he is too slow and his kick is not penetrating enough to get over defensive lines. He can’t play as a forward as he has no idea there.
We need to start actually playing guys in their right positions, not hiding mids in spots to keep them in the side. He should be used as depth only from now on. Or trade bait.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's extremely harsh on Macrae.

Feel like if he had played midfield all year his season would have been much better.

We will never get to see them but I wonder what the terms of reference are for the review? Assuming there are in fact some terms of reference.

In any official review (such as a judicial enquiry, a Royal Commission, or a commercial consultancy) there need to be Terms of Reference. The success or failure of the whole review can depend on how these ToRs are framed.

For instance whoever calls the enquiry can control the outcome when they set the terms of reference and by appointing compliant investigators. Especially if they hope to ride out a political storm. It can be summed up in the saying “don’t call an enquiry unless you know what the outcome will be.” Politicians who ignore this usually end up in the political graveyard.

We know who’s doing the investigation in this case. I would just like to know the terms of reference. For instance does it start from an assumption that we have underperformed? Does it specify particular aspects of on-field underperformance (such as in-game inconsistency)? How much focus is there on coaching, workload, list management, collegiality, structure of footy department, checks and balances on individuals, conditioning etc?

Or is it just a bland “how did we go, what went wrong/right and how could we do better next year?” If that’s the case (and is accompanied by a wink and a nod) then it’s a recipe for a snow job. It would be disappointing if the findings were mostly the usual cliches “… blah blah injuries … blah blah fixture … blah blah narrow losses … “.

There has to be a genuine and strong desire to be much better than we have been, even if there’s some strong medicine to take and a bit of pain to be endured.

Last edited:
All the noise coming out of the club is 12 months too late in my view. Grant and Bains did a review last year, and look what we got. Now the same people are doing it again and we expect a different result?

The day after we lost to the Eagles, we should have been on the phone to Geoff Walsh for an external review. Bains and Grant need to be under as much scrutiny as anyone else, not the ones conducting the review.
Ultimately that day, more than some of those other close ones, cost us the finals. We were discussing with mates just the night before “is this the worst team since Fitzroy 1996?” Bevo gave his most uninspiring interview before the match (my wife heard it, said it was so strange, I was at the ground) and then gave an egotistical, followed by gobbledygook press conference after. Bevo’s mindset, glaringly on show during these interviews, should be the type of stuff a proper review reveals.

Unfortunately if we want to compete with the best both Macrae and Daniel are finished. When in the middle they are a mile behind Bont, Libba and Treloar. Great servants of the club yet tough calls are needed. Its a pace game at the moment and you need to defend quickly and both just can't do it due to physical limitations. Daniel is terrible at CB clearance and should never start there.

Yet, I'm sure they likely to stay, we rarely make tough calls so HF for Daniel and gee not sure with Macrae, maybe half back?

CD will finish high in our BNF he was awesome for most of this year? Bad few weeks at the end but he well and truly has a spot going forward, he just shouldn’t start at centre bounces that’s crazy bad coaching. The problem is we have a coach who lacks creativity with unique players, if they don’t fit into a certain traditional mould he has no idea what to do with them. Guys like CD and English should be used all over the field because they have huge unique strengths but also easy to coach against weaknesses.

We should keep the opposition guessing with them, keep rotating them through roles and let their elite traits shine through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still believe that CD should be on the wing/midfield rotation

Defensively we don't need him anymore apart from kick ins

His role should just be floating around the ground to be our pure link up player

Caleb high half forward is fine. He had a good year.

Only issue I’ve got with caleb is his tackling is poor. The new rules on dumping tackles make it much harder for the small statured players.

Anyone know if Macrae has had any surgeries? He deserves a chance to get back to his best as a mid.

If not, there is no reason he can’t play as a half back like pendles.

It’s time

Door Lock Movie GIF by NETFLIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back