Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn’t do a proper review I doubt we did one at all, but if we did it definitely wasn’t proper

Chris Grant had to go, if not after West Coast game definitely the Sunday after Geelong game. He had to be sacked.

Great footballer and by all accounts a great person BUT he is out of his depth as GM of football and a good astute and potential assistant coache can see it and sense it.

We need someone remotely switched on in the media to start asking questions.

The club will shut them down ASAP.

The club is not one to hold people responsible and accountable and they are not a club that answers some basic but pointed questions.

It is a closed shop

So now whoever we try and get for his 'director of coaching' role won't be our first choice and likely not our 2nd, 3rd etc.

Which now means we'll end up with a structure that isn't our first preference and goes a long way to setting us up to fail.

Why would anyone want to actually come and work with Bev? You’d have to be a glutton for punishment.

With Bev clearly entering a make or break season, you’d be signing up for potentially 12 months of turmoil and being told to look elsewhere at the end of it when a new coach comes in. Perhaps the extension had offering other coaches a level of comfort in mind, but I doubt anyone is fooled that he’s a sure thing to see out that contract.

Pressure is really on the club now. Pre season commences in weeks now not months and zero announcements other than we started a full review with no time limits.

3 coaches gone replaced by none and we were already 1 short of optimal. And that is for the AFL program, we also need coaches for the VFL program
How long before preseason training starts?

Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have no first rounder next year, Bont is a free agent in two years. We have been sliding backwards and missed the 8 completely this year. We now have half a coach’s box, and no head of fitness.

This is comical. Any other club would have sensibly sacked Bevo after the west coast loss, having an opening for a new coach to recruit/build their own assistant panel.

We can’t even demote Spangher to a development role as suggested because no sane assistant would stick their hand up to come here.

Some of you people need to settle down and get a grip. This all part and parcel of recruiting staff.
Justin Leppitch isnt to ONLY potential coaching acquisition in football land.
I'm sure the club has other candidates in mind. Show some patience and stop being so critical of our people.

Some of you people need to settle down and get a grip. This all part and parcel of recruiting staff.
I'm sure the club has other candidates in mind. Show some patience and stop being so critical of our people.
It's been 8 weeks since our season ended and we've signed no one,

The only out they had was waiting for teams progressing in finals they no longer have this out,

This is a monumental failure there is no possible positive spin to put on it now

Yeah, it's time for all you wiseacres to step into the breach. I would, except I don't do zoom calls.
I'll do it too. But I don't work on Sundays

This thread’s a bit of a hoot. If you like dark humour that is.

It seems every favoured candidate is turning his nose up at the prospect of working at VUWO. In some cases we have heard it was for better money than he’d be getting elsewhere. That should be setting off a few alarm bells, eh?

So of course the logical thing is for our forensic internal review to have its terms of reference broadened slightly to ask why this is happening.
Right?

You know that Telstra country football ad where the team bus breaks down on some back road, leading to the team manager having to pull together a bunch of random old blokes from the pub to fill in?

I'm thinking this might end up our approach for the coaching line up next year.
Why not it's what we did last year, it's how FFC rolls.

Last edited:
Article on AFL website

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are interested in adding Matthew Egan to the football department at the Whitten Oval after missing out on securing the services of Justin Leppitsch.

Leppitsch informed the Bulldogs on Monday night that he will remain at the AIA Centre as Collingwood's head of strategy after being pursued to join Luke Beveridge's coaching team.

After losing the race to Melbourne to sign Andrew McQualter as an assistant coach after he missed out on securing the top job at Richmond, the Bulldogs had turned their attention to prying Leppitsch out of the reigning premier.
But after considering the opportunity to head to the kennel as the director of coaching, the 48-year-old has recommitted to help the Magpies try to go back-to-back in 2024.

Leppitsch won three premierships playing alongside Craig McRae at Brisbane, adding three as an assistant at Richmond before banking a seventh when Collingwood defeated Brisbane in last month's Grand Final.
All of Collingwood's assistant coaches are understood to have attracted varying degrees of interest from rivals.

Egan is currently Geelong's head of development after returning to Kardinia Park at the end of 2021 to join Chris Scott's football department.
The 40-year-old was forced to retire prematurely due to the serious foot injury he suffered on the eve of the 2007 finals series, which prevented him from playing again and forced him to retire in 2010 after 59 games.

Since then, the Victorian has built an impressive coaching resume as a development coach, starting at Essendon where he stepped up to coach the final game of 2015 after James Hird departed.
Egan also spent time working alongside Simon Goodwin at Melbourne before returning to Geelong just under two years ago.

The Dogs have been searching for a range of coaches as they look to revamp the coaching panel in Footscray following a disappointing 2023 campaign, with Egan now a target.
Backline coach Rohan Smith, stoppages coach Marc Webb and development coach Stefan Martin have all departed the Bulldogs since the club missed out on playing in September by half a game to Sydney.

The club is also in the market for a new high performance manager after long-time fitness boss Mat Inness was poached by West Coast to replace Warren Koefed at the Eagle

Can you provide the details of coaches we are interested in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back