Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha it was Andrejs Everitt over Riewoldt. That was horrible at the time. I remember being staggered.

Scott Clayton, wowee.
Apparently Clayton didn’t really care about the off field side (what their home life was like, how self-motivated they were) and more or less picked on raw talent, which he was quite good at.

Meant we had some outrageously talented individuals but some extremely flakey ones. Grant and Everitt (and Hill, McMahon, Walsh and god knows how many others) had obvious ability but flakey intensity.

Riewoldt was never as highly rated as his cousin but (dummy spits aside) he had a real never-say-die attitude, was strong one on one and definitely got the best out of himself over his career.

Most of the above were the opposite. Extremely high skill level but not great one on one and never fulfilled their potential.

Apparently Clayton didn’t really care about the off field side (what their home life was like, how self-motivated they were) and more or less picked on raw talent, which he was quite good at.

Meant we had some outrageously talented individuals but some extremely flakey ones. Grant and Everitt (and Hill, McMahon, Walsh and god knows how many others) had obvious ability but flakey intensity.

Riewoldt was never as highly rated as his cousin but (dummy spits aside) he had a real never-say-die attitude, was strong one on one and definitely got the best out of himself over his career.

Most of the above were the opposite. Extremely high skill level but not great one on one and never fulfilled their potential.
Now that Gold Coast are half decent I'm presuming he isn't there or hasn't been there for a while.

Edit

A quick scan of Google suggests he's been a future talent manager since 2019....at Norf!😲

He's the poisoned chalice of recruitment

Now that Gold Coast are half decent I'm presuming he isn't there or hasn't been there for a while.

Edit

A quick scan of Google suggests he's been a future talent manager since 2019....at Norf!😲

He's the poisoned chalice of recruitment
Traded off his involvement in Brisbane’s 3peat for 20+ years

Heard a couple of rumours today:

1. Before the disastrous west coast game last year, Bevvo had said something to Toby Maclean that pissed off the whole playing group and there was lots of tension. No idea what though! Anyone know?

2. In the Peter Jackson review the players backed Bevvo in as senior coach but it was very much conditional on him getting back to the old Bevvo, not the Bevvo of 2023.

So which Bevvo do we think it is this year?

3. after the Bombers game the board was discussing whether it was time to make the chop. Any ITK’s hear this one ?

9 years ago almost to the day. What a win that was, the beginning of a period of hope.
And to think we had Talia, Roberts, Honeychurch, Hrovat, Crameri, Toyd and Jong playing in that team. A whole clutch of whipping boys.

2016 finals were fun but stressful - the 3 week stretch in 2015 was as close to footy Nirvana as I can remember.

87 point win Essendon
64 point win Port Adelaide
98 point win Melbourne

Followed by a 77 point loss to West Coast of course😂

There was also the 104 - 86 win over Collingwood which I enjoyed hugely . The game was in the balance until the fourth quarter .

Young Darcy Moore was playing his second (?) game and played with complete freedom, running through the centre like a basketballer. He kicked 5 & looked unstoppable. After that he didn’t hit the same heights as a forward , and much of the Collingwood board decided he was a spud , until he became a defender . I used to wander over there once in a while , to gently tell them they had stones in their brains.

But we won with bravery , skill and absolute two way gut running . Biggs and Hamling playing wing back to wing forward , Tory kicking four and big Jack Redpath crashing backs .

I loved it , I almost preferred 2015 to 16 . At the end there was such a lovely atmosphere , all the Pies fans went home & about 8000 of us stayed on level one to wait for Bev and S King to come down from the box onto the ground . They got a big cheer and a lot of love .

And I was able to give it to the three pies fans behind me mocking my neurodivgerent seal-clapping style when something exciting happened.

I’d love those days back . We’ve got the flair players , but not flair .

OK this game is looking pretty dire

Are we a genuine chance of a coaching change this week? If so how bad does this loss 'need' to be?

Short of steamrolling them by 10+ goals in the second half, this looks like yet another mark in the negative column.

I’m not sure if there are any coaches who’d be comfortable. Not one line is playing even average footy, and the senior coach is yet again presiding over an unacceptable performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a couple of rumours today:

1. Before the disastrous west coast game last year, Bevvo had said something to Toby Maclean that pissed off the whole playing group and there was lots of tension. No idea what though! Anyone know?

2. In the Peter Jackson review the players backed Bevvo in as senior coach but it was very much conditional on him getting back to the old Bevvo, not the Bevvo of 2023.

So which Bevvo do we think it is this year?

3. after the Bombers game the board was discussing whether it was time to make the chop. Any ITK’s hear this one ?
No idea if the McLean thing is true, but a few coaches have had the end come because of singling out individuals. McKenna and Noble come to mind. Players hate it.

I heard via a player’s parent a few of the older players think he’s stayed on too long. These things can probably be a self fulfilling prophesy - it doesn’t matter whether they are right. They players just jump off.

The board/administration have really done a number on everyone here. Many of the fans are disgusted, a decent chunk of the players have evidently checked out, and the footy department should have been cleaned out last year.

Now this is going to be a pretty horrible ending and he doesn’t deserve this. Any decent leadership would’ve facilitated an amicable parting of the ways when it was obvious it needed to happen. Now it’ll be messy and it was completely avoidable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back