Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the most likely result from here is that we win 3, finish 6th and get a home final. We'll start favourites in all 4, but the probability of winning 4 games straight if you're a 66% favourite in each is still only 18%.

Starting our finals campaign with a home final would be pretty good.

I was off him at the start of this year and thought he wouldn't last through to July but the way he has this team humming has me back on board. Won't be making it this next Friday vs the Dees but am so excited and proud of how this team is playing.

I am not tactically astute when it comes to footy but I just don't know how you combat our tall in the forward line and our tall defense! What a spine!!!

The only thing letting us down at the moment is our goal kicking accuracy.

Not a big fan of Johnno coming in one day a month as our goal kicking coach with Spangher taking the reigns at other times.

The players need one voice. Someone that is going to review all their shots and discuss why they missed or scored. The person looking after goal kicking should also be there on game day to talk through what the conditions and the ground is doing in the warm up. If they've missed a few shots during a game, the goal kicking coach should also be able to bring up vision at 1/4 time or halftime and discuss what adjustments they need to make.

Our current setup looks very amateurish and it's showing.

Not a big fan of Johnno coming in one day a month as our goal kicking coach with Spangher taking the reigns at other times.

The players need one voice. Someone that is going to review all their shots and discuss why they missed or scored. The person looking after goal kicking should also be there on game day to talk through what the conditions and the ground is doing in the warm up. If they've missed a few shots during a game, the goal kicking coach should also be able to bring up vision at 1/4 time or halftime and discuss what adjustments they need to make.

Flip side is we have kicked 14.16, 13.17 and 12.15 and won 3 massive games, by pure luck we are bound to have a massive day soon and in the future. Main thing is we keep up the scoring attempts, you won't lose many games averaging 25+ scoring shots, especially when our defence is humming.

Flip side is we have kicked 14.16, 13.17 and 12.15 and won 3 massive games, by pure luck we are bound to have a massive day soon and in the future. Main thing is we keep up the scoring attempts, you won't lose many games averaging 25+ scoring shots, especially when our defence is humming.
Forgot who it was that said it and the actual quote so just paraphrasing but a good forward line wins games of Football but good defences win premierships.

Nothing wrong with how many shots we are getting. In a big final, where the margin is tight the difference could be goal kicking accuracy. Having someone come in one day a month will not cut it.

A forwards coach is different to a goal kicking coach,

A forwards coach has nothing to do with the technicalities of skill execution just like any other line coach

A forwards coach is different to a goal kicking coach,

A forwards coach has nothing to do with the technicalities of skill execution just like any other line coach
Our currently setup re goalkicking is Johnno does one day a month and Spangher takes the reigns at other times.

Johnno talked about this on foxfooty a few weeks back. This is a flawed approach.

Our currently setup re goalkicking is Johnno does one day a month and Spangher takes the reigns at other times.

Johnno talked about this on foxfooty a few weeks back. This is a flawed approach.
I'm very scepitcal that poor or good goalkicking is a coachable trait above and beyond the fact that the players have been kicking and practicing goalkicking for years, and that the panacea for it is just "more coaching" and "the goalkicking coach needs to spent more time" (which nobody mentions what it gets taken away from).

We're losing -0.07 points per shot compared to the league average, once correcting for the difficulty of the shot. That's good for fourth worst in the league (so it is true) but it's hardly something that is the biggest concern or something that is so bad that we simply can't attribute a large chunk of it being bad to simply bad luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very scepitcal that poor or good goalkicking is a coachable trait above and beyond the fact that the players have been kicking and practicing goalkicking for years, and that the panacea for it is just "more coaching" and "the goalkicking coach needs to spent more time" (which nobody mentions what it gets taken away from).

Nick Watson had a glaring weakness in his set-shot approach and was missing it left, right, and everywhere. Sam Mitchell said to him, I'm the only person you listen to regarding goalkicking, and there has been significant improvement since.

Our current approach means we have multiple voices in our players heads. I'm not saying you hire a full-time goalkicking coach—this is not a wise use of your soft cap. But the players need a singular voice.

Marra and Naughton are not going to turn into Tory Dickson overnight or at any point in their careers because of excellent coaching. That is actually not the point at all. This is all about marginal gains. If each could improve their set shot accuracy by a few % points because of a consistent, singular voice. Who can support them with locking down a consistent routine, reviewing each set shot postgame, and helping with in-game adjustments based on weather and stadium conditions. This mindset of small incremental gains could be the difference between top 4 or even a premiership.

Nick Watson had a glaring weakness in his set-shot approach and was missing it left, right, and everywhere. Sam Mitchell said to him, I'm the only person you listen to regarding goalkicking, and there has been significant improvement since.

Our current approach means we have multiple voices in our players heads. I'm not saying you hire a full-time goalkicking coach—this is not a wise use of your soft cap. But the players need a singular voice.

Marra and Naughton are not going to turn into Tory Dickson overnight or at any point in their careers because of excellent coaching. That is actually not the point at all. This is all about marginal gains. If each could improve their set shot accuracy by a few % points because of a consistent, singular voice. Who can support them with locking down a consistent routine, reviewing each set shot postgame, and helping with in-game adjustments based on weather and stadium conditions. This mindset of small incremental gains could be the difference between top 4 or even a premiership.
If your best example is a single player for a different club when while that player is only in the first year in the system as a full-time player (so not generally applicable for non-first year players) on top of the fact that technique improvement may have occurred anyway without specific additional intervention in the course of training anyway, I'm not sure it exactly disproves my point.

I'm not saying that goalkicking coaching or training isn't something that shouldn't be worked on at all, I just don't see there being obvious solutions or a lot that can't just be attributed to regression to the mean with people trying to push a narrative to what is often just a coin flip. There doesn't have to be a narrative to a dice roll landing on a six - it just is that - landing on a six.

If your best example is a single player for a different club when while that player is only in the first year in the system as a full-time player (so not generally applicable for non-first year players) on top of the fact that technique improvement may have occurred anyway without specific additional intervention in the course of training anyway, I'm not sure it exactly disproves my point.

I'm not saying that goalkicking coaching or training isn't something that shouldn't be worked on at all, I just don't see there being obvious solutions or a lot that can't just be attributed to regression to the mean with people trying to push a narrative to what is often just a coin flip. There doesn't have to be a narrative to a dice roll landing on a six - it just is that - landing on a six.

If you think goal-kicking accuracy or lack thereof is akin to a 'coin flip' or a 'dice roll landing on six' then I'm more than happy to conclude the debate here.

If you think goal-kicking accuracy or lack thereof is akin to a 'coin flip' or a 'dice roll landing on six' then I'm more than happy to conclude the debate here.
I'm not saying it isn't executing a football skill, but if you run the statistical test:

• Player has shots for goal over the course of a season
  • How many players provably kick enough goals, or miss goals, to be able to confidently say that it isn't just the same as flipping a coin 30 times and sometimes you get 18 heads and 12 tails or whatever?
The answer is far fewer players than you'd think.

An interesting way of thinking about it is (say) that there's going to be 100 players who take 10 shots on the season or whatever. If you were to flip a coin 10 times, 100 times, there'd be times in those 100 coin flips that you laid 9 tails out of 10 or whatever. But it doesn't mean that 77th time you flipped 10 coins is a bad shot for goal - sometimes randomness takes over. There's numbers we can run that prove this.

Forgot who it was that said it and the actual quote so just paraphrasing but a good forward line wins games of Football but good defences win premierships.

I use a version of this with my boys in relation to their basketball rep teams, and there are similar versions across other sports.

Basically, “Defense wins games/titles, Offense just decides by how much”.

In a footy sense there are examples of this every week. I think one of the best examples was 2014 GF. Swans strong favourites, and the Hawks absolutely brained them physically and defensively. Game was over before half time, they’d broken them and it was just a case of by how much.

I think Bevo is pretty safe for the long term now.

If you go back to last year, almost everyone’s best case scenario was that Bevo would re-find his mojo and get us back to our best. I was definitely and fairly vocally in the Bevo out crowd, I thought the 2022 and 2023 seasons were awful and I thought he’d lost his way and wouldn’t recover. Very happy to be wrong and it’s good to see a happier Bevo back. Think he’d swayed too far in the “us against the world” mentality and he just seemed angry and stubborn for most of the last two seasons.

The moves of Richards to the midfield and Lobb to the back line have really unlocked this side. I know that a lot of people here have advocated for Richards being a long term midfielder before the move this year but it was a very brave move considering he was almost certainly our best two way defender and our backline was pretty dubious at that time. Adding the extra layer of Richards speed and foot skills has lessened the reliance on the main three midfielders, Bont especially who doesn’t have to be BOG for every win anymore and can spend more meaningful minutes being a menace up forward. Lobb is the same, makes sense on paper to move him to the back line since he was never going to past the main three forwards but harder to make that decision in practise and even harder to get them to thrive in that environment. Probably a case in Bevo having great player relationships because Lobb could have well and truly cracked it and just coasted the second half of the year into a trade request.

Short term future looks very strong. No reason why we can’t do something special this season. Need to find a way to improve that consistency so we don’t have no-shows like the Port and Brisbane games every four weeks but when we are on I think we are and have shown that we are as good as any team in the competition. I think it puts to bed the notion that some were suggesting midseason that the list was that flawed that Bevo was getting close to the most out of the list and it was just a mid table team. Team is top four quality and its brilliant that Bevo has got them back to that level.

Will be disappointed if we don’t come out with intensity this week and end up dropping one we shouldn’t.

Flawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back